12825-UT Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Scott

Scott - Oct 24, 2010 6:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Red Castle

But still another source (Scott) refers to South Red Castle as 12694, the minor bump just south of 12825.

Back when I originally made my original list (1991), I used Kelsey's names since his was the only book available showing routes to any of the Uinta peaks other than Kings and a brief mention of Gilbert. I stuck with his naming of Peak 12,825 as Red Castle and went from there (N, S, etc.), but I agree that Peak 12,700 is the "real" Red Castle. Someday, I'll have to edit my list to reflect this.

I'm not sure of the best way to name all the peaks in the massif though. I guess they could be named by RC-1, RC-2, etc; or Red Castle Tower #1, Red Castle Tower #2 and this one either Red Castle Mountain and the other ones Red Castle Peak.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Oct 25, 2010 3:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Red Castle

I LOL'd when I read the title of your log. I was looking at Mike Kelsey's book the other day and my mouth dropped when I read the caption "Wilson Peak, as seen from the top of Red Castle Peak". But then I remembered that he refers to 12825 as Red Castle and the picture is consistent with that peak, not 12700.

As to what to name what, I kind of like the ring of "False Red Castle" myself, but that probably wouldn't go over too well. For sure I think Red Castle should be reserved for 12700, but I think having a Red Castle Peak and a Red Castle Mountain would be confusing especially since the map uses neither term, it just says "Red Castle". I think I'd like something that had the elevations in the names so it would be clear from the name what peak is being referred to, e.g. RC-12825, unless of course there is some commonly used local name that I don't know about.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to '12825-UT' main page