"4th Class Downclimb"

I don't usually like to provide exact beta, but Roach's Indian Peaks Wilderness makes this "4th Class Downclimb" seem pretty simple, and easy to find, and Dave Cooper's Colorado Scrambles makes it sound easier yet. Someone inexperienced in technical climbing, and wary of exposure, could find themselves in trouble pretty easily. Sooo... here's a photo of the east face of Lone Eagle with the "downclimb" route marked. Following this line, the downclimb is pretty simple, while more accurately 5.0 to 5.2 in my estimation. At the bottom of the line, follow 4th class and 3rd class scramble angling downward toward the south for about ten feet, then follow the grassy ledge back to the north to the main ledge that leads toward the summit. The blue is a large block with a nice horn at the top, which we used to sling to build an anchor, dropped a rope, and used a prussik for a self belay. I sure hope the rain washes off all that red and blue spraypaint... just kidding! :)
RckyMtneer
on Sep 12, 2007 4:09 pm
Image Type(s): Topo/Diagram
Image ID: 336164

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1

ccbradley - Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm - Hasn't voted

My First DOWNWARD Ascent

My uncle, Carl Blaurock, explained to me that this was first time he ascended a peak by climbing down to it!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1