A Magical Week in Canyon de Chelly

A Magical Week in Canyon de Chelly

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Wildlife, Flora, Informational, Scenery

A Long Walk With The Wind

At the end of April and beginning of May, 2008, I had the good fortune to spend a week enjoying the red-rock splendor of Canyon de Chelly. The skies were electric azure by day and full of painfully bright stars by night. While the sun was high in the sky the winds carried hot air, bird song and sand in windstorms; after the sun retired for the night the air was filled with coyote song, the gurgling of the wash and the soft sounds of night breezes.

Beyond the obvious natural beauty of Canyon de Chelly, the residents of the canyon and the history of those before them are what make this a truly special place.

Enjoy these photos here in this online arena. If you have not already, may the viewer one day enjoy the opportunity to relish in these sights accompanied by the hot wind against sandstone, the yips of a coyote pack and the solemn voice of a lone Navajo singer.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
lcarreau

lcarreau - May 7, 2008 1:13 pm - Voted 10/10

I like it !!

How does a person obtain a guide? Can you still spend the night
without a guide, as long as you have a camping permit?? This area
really has some appeal - I need to check it out on the web!
Beautiful photos, Sarah!!!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - May 7, 2008 1:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I like it !!

Larry,

As I understand it, to essentially hike anything besides the White House Ruins trail, a hiking party needs to be accompanied by a certified guide (either a Park Ranger or a licenced Navajo guide). I could be wrong, though.

Here's a link to the "permits" section of the Canyon de Chelly National Monument website:
http://www.nps.gov/cach/planyourvisit/permits.htm

...not that it clears anything up...

Regardless of rules/regulations, I would HIGHLY recommend enjoying the canyon with a Navajo guide. I can provide (via PM or email, if you're interested) contact information for the guide who took us into the canyon. She's a most amazing person. A certified guide really brings the canyon to life. You can also contact the Monument directly to get contact information for a guide. The $$$ spent is well worth it.

Sarah

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - May 8, 2008 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the page and the pics. -Sarah

BigJordan

BigJordan - Jun 28, 2008 3:51 am - Voted 10/10

Beatiful Album!

Awesome album. Canyon De Chelly is a really cool place. I was there once with my mom when I was a youngin' I would love to get back there now that I'm an old man so I can enjoy it a bit more. thanks for sharing, your pictures are amazing.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jun 28, 2008 4:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beatiful Album!

Thank you so much for your kind words about this album. That was truly, truly a very special week for me. The land is beautiful, but so are the people inhabiting that land. The history of that canyon is alive and crackling. PS: Since when does 27 qualify you for "Old Man" status? ;)

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 16, 2009 9:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A+++

Alec,

Thanks for your kind commentary. My week down in Canyon de Chelly was just one of those...those weeks were you keep telling yourself: This is amazing. I can't believe I'm here! The sun on the rocks, the solemn singing of our hostess' nephew, the sandpaintings...just an amazing journey.

Safe climbing!

Sarah

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.