Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.92830°N / 117.4589°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 18, 2003
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

The Drive In

I drove a Chrysler GM 300 on the way to Abercrombie from Spokane. The last several miles on the gravel roads had some rough spots along road #300. I had to remove rocks and tree branches several times along the road leading to the trailhead. Finally, I arrived at the trailhead, elevation 4,090 feet.

The Hike

Summit
Abercrombie
The trail was very easy going at first. Eventually as we rose higher it got stepper. The views were excellent to the west of the Columbia River. I continued going up the switchbacks. It was never tougher than class two.

Finally we came around to Abercrombie’s south ridge. It didn’t look to far away. We came across a patch of snow but it was only ankle deep and over a small section. Grizzly bear signs were at different spots along the trail. None were seen though.

As we approached the summit we came upon many rocks. A trail was made in these rocks that guided us the last 50 yards to the summit. It was 3.8 miles and 3200 feet of elevation gain. I enjoyed the views into Idaho, Canada, and the Columbia River. I could even make out Mt. Spokane far to the south. Rob, who hiked with me, brought his video camera and recorded a lot on the summit. I enjoyed my subway sandwich.

The Return Hike

Canada
Alabama?
As we were leaving the summit I came across this rock that resembled the state of Alabama. I then turned it over and it resembled Mississippi. How cool! It was much easier going down. We came across several small waterfalls and streams on the return hike. It was great fun and my first hike of an Ultra peak.


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.