Adventures on Borah Peak

Adventures on Borah Peak

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Early Start to the Day

My state high pointing buddy Alan and I tackled Borah peak, my #40 and his #44. We spent the night camping at the trailhead. Good thing we got an early start.. weather proved to be volatile later in the day.

Borah Sunrise I


Switchbacks give way to scrambling

switchbacks up to Chicken Out Ridge

Chicken Out Ridge

Borah is a steep hike.. 5200 feet in 4 miles. Naturally, there has to be a scrambly section and Borah does not disappoint. Chicken Out Ridge is a 3rd-4th class scramble with a pretty hairy section which proved to be the demise of my old pack.

3rd class just before COR


Alan on Chicken Out Ridge

Adventure on Chicken Out Ridge

I was facing forwards getting down Chicken Out Ridge to the narrow ledge and my pack was pushing me away from the cliff. I thought I'd take it off and drop it a few feet so it would rest on the ledge. Only it didn't rest on the ledge.. rather it tumbled down the 40 degree scree chute on the right side of the ledge. My first instinct was to go down after it.. my second (wiser?) instinct was to abandon it. It's one thing for a pack loaded with food and water to go tumbling down, it's another for my neck. So if anyone is in the area and wants a few nalgenes, a (by now) very moldy chicken sandwich, an ancient iPhone and a nice new purple ladies' medium shell jacket, just let me know and I can describe exactly where the stuff fell. I zoomed in with my camera and I could see where my orange nalgene landed (I don't know what the blue thing is, but it ain't mine)

dropped nalgene

Onto the Summit and off the mountain

Now, fully unburdened, but thankfully with my camera, sunglasses and soft shell on me, we proceeded to the summit, which was maybe 800 feet above.

Borah!


The summit was strewn with various offerings.. prayer flags, golf clubs and other paraphernalia

Borah summit!


Alan's #44!

Alan s 44th


My #40!!

my 40th



We had to make haste because there was lightning off in the distance

t-storms rolling in


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Jow

Jow - Aug 27, 2013 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice!

Cool pics and congrats on 40

Marlin

Marlin - Sep 14, 2013 2:10 am - Hasn't voted

Borah..Borah..Borah

Congratulations on your 40th HP. I remember Borah very well. The trail starts out steep and doesn't let up until one reaches the top of the ridge. A real workout on the descent too. Weren't the American and Utah flags flying that day?

Viewing: 1-2 of 2