Airola Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 4, 2021 7:12 am Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2021

Hiram - Airola - Iceberg  Sucess!

Tough day. Hot and lots of scree.

trexkerry - Dec 31, 2017 8:33 pm Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2017

Hiram + Airola  Sucess!

From the end of Highland Lakes Road, I started on a use trail but lost it fairly quickly. Large snowfields on the steep slopes made navigation a touch trickier. Once up on the north ridge of Hiram its a fun knife edge walk on a use trail to the summit. I continued on to Airola Peak, its an easy descent to the saddle. There is one section on the north ridge route on Airola that was tricky, I opted for a chute to the left of the ridge which was very loose and unstable, I was not comfortable with the crappy rock to attempt normal class 3 moves as the rock was breaking off in my hands and chipping away as I tried to stand on it. So I stayed in the chute and bypassed the class 3 section on the ridge, from there its easy enough to make the summit. On descent I had similar problems, the chute is really crappy but I didn't see a way to stay on the ridge proper. This section is only about 50 feet but it really is bad.

I knew there was a use trail that would take me back to the car but I couldn't find it and wound up just going cross county on the slopes of Hiram before finding the trail about a quarter mile from the car.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Oct 1, 2012 2:02 pm Date Climbed: Aug 8, 2012

Traverse from Hiram  Sucess!

Five peak day in the Highland Lakes area. Trip Report.

David Naylor

David Naylor - Jul 30, 2012 12:36 am Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2012

Fun Peak  Sucess!

I came up onto the north ridge via a difficult class 3 chute without taking the time to know there was a much easier way up. I did Hiram afterwards and could see the chute I came up from the distance and it looked pretty insane to attempt (by my experience level.) Anyway, I am glad I did it.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 2, 2008 2:40 pm Date Climbed: Oct 20, 2003

North ridge  Sucess!

Nice fall weather

derbilly

derbilly - Sep 5, 2007 3:19 am Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2005

North Ridge  Sucess!

Climbed Hiram, Airola, Iceberg and Pk 9366.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Aug 25, 2007 6:21 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2007

North Ridge  Sucess!

Climbed after Hiram. Very nice day but a little windy. These two peaks make a great half day hike. Scree kinda blows though. The class 3 section would have been much more fun / easier without it! Didn't see another person all day. Nice views.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Airola Peak' main page