Ajax Peak Comments

Fred SpickerUntitled Comment

Fred Spicker

Nice page and Peak.

Given that you have a choice of which state to put it in - my vote would be for MT :-) Esp. since even Lopez says that it is better climbed from the MT side.

Climbers Guide to MT states: "The east ridge has a little C-rated climbing." C-rated = Class 4.

Actually, you can make the heading indicate Montana / Idaho by not choosing a state and writing it in the space provided for other countries. However, then the link in the side bar (that now says "Mountains of Idaho") becomes "Mountains of Monatana / Idaho" and does not take you anywhere - brings up an error message.
Posted Feb 6, 2005 3:23 am

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Very nice page! Well done!

-Britt
Posted Feb 6, 2005 9:53 am

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Good page.

One suggestion: From the information on the page, I have no idea how long the climb is or how long the climb to the summit takes. It would be good to add the information, or to add a route page with the information.
Posted Feb 6, 2005 9:55 am

IdahoKidUntitled Comment

IdahoKid

I have to agree with Scott in commenting that it would be helpful to the reader if you informed us how long the approach is from either the Idaho or Montana side. Otherwise, nice pics, good information, great page!

Whether its in Idaho or Montana is a tough one, yes, the easier access is on the Montana side, but the book states it is in Idaho. That would be like saying Grand Targhee is in Idaho because it is the only way to get there. But its debatable.
Posted Feb 6, 2005 2:17 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

This peak totally blends in with its surroundings. :-) You can hardly see it.

I suppose there's a Bismarck Peak and a Hood Peak nearby.
Posted Feb 6, 2005 2:53 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Now this is what I would call a pyramid. Or a triangle. Nice page!
Posted Feb 6, 2005 4:43 pm

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Well done page.
Posted Feb 7, 2005 12:07 am

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Good work...
Posted Feb 7, 2005 10:08 am

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

Thanks for posting, I have enjoyed your recent pages.

Posted Feb 7, 2005 11:56 am

montanaboyUntitled Comment

montanaboy

bakcast,

Thanks for the input. As far as directions go, the road ends at the east end of Ajax lake. From here you proceed west to the far end of the lake and then gain the south ridge which will take you to the summit.

I would say Ajax Peak might be the best area for some skiing, with road access all the way up. I am sure that the gate is closed at the west end of Miner lake campground for access to Homer Youngs.

Hope that helps and sorry for any confusion on directions.
Posted Feb 8, 2005 12:53 am

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Nice work.
Posted Feb 7, 2005 2:52 pm

SaintgrizzlyUntitled Comment

Saintgrizzly

To further complicate the "where is it?" question, Ajax Peak is listed in the Montana NGS Topo set, but it certainly seems to be pretty much dead-center on the Idaho/Montana boundary. (02/10/05 - I see SP Montana has acquired this peak! I suspect either MT or ID would be correct--and we could live with either--but in this case Fred's comments below make a lot of sense. Glad to see the additional pics, too!)

Interesting, also: should the peak be listed as in the Beaverhead Mtns, or the Bitterroots? The Beaverheads are definitely listed as being part (a sub-range?) of the much larger Bitterroot Range. (I've also listed this topic on the "Message Board - Rockies - What's New Montana" - in the belief it'll be seen by more SPers--I think it's an interesting topic.)

Nice page, Michael--like I've said before, though, I like your pics enough to wish for more of them! Maybe something from the actual summit, or close to it.

Posted Feb 7, 2005 7:32 pm

idcanuckIdaho or Montana?

idcanuck

I hiked to the top of this last year and was always under the impression the peak was in Idaho, even though I accessed it through Montana. It was a great peak, very majestic. I have done a bit of research on the subject and most references I have seen put it in Idaho. If you go to google earth and zoom in on the borders, it seems the actual peak of Ajax is just to the left side of the border, putting it in Idaho.
Posted Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm