Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.40152°N / 7.88330°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10518 ft / 3206 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jägihorn is a very popular and frequently visited mountain in the Weissmies-hut area. Thanks to its easy access during the normalroute, the variety of different rockclimbing routes in various degrees of difficulty and to the recently built climbing trail with fixed ropes, you almost always spot people moving around on the Jägihorn on a nice day from June to mid September.

Getting There

To get to the Weissmiess-hut (2726 m) which is the startingpoint for the Jägihorn, your first stop will most probably be the small alpine village of Saas-Grund (1559 m) in the Swiss canton of Valais. Brig is one of the major small towns in the Valais-valley which easily can be reached both with train and by car from all over Switzerland and also from Italy over the Simplon pass. From Brig you can drive or take a bus (Postauto) to Saas-Grund and from here you either walk up to the hut (3.5 hrs) or take the cablecar up to Kreutzboden which leaves you with a 45 min hut walk. The normal route from the Weissmiess hut is marked and you follow a small trail north of the hut until you face the Jägihorn wall. Here you start zig-zagging up the rather steep flank until you reach the plateau with a beautiful view over Saas-Fee and the Mischabel group. Up from the saddle you easy follow the west ridge climbing over big steady rocks until you reach the summit. You need approximately 1,5 - 2 hours from the Weissmies hut up to the summit. The Jägihorn summit offers you a fantastic view over the majestic Lagginhorn (4010 m) and the neighbouring Fletschhorn. (3996 m) If you reach the summit early, you have the perfect panorama over the many fellow climbers making their way up the north-face of the popular Weissmies (4026 m) to the south. Up on the summit there is a big iron cross, a visitors log book to sign and lots of space to rest, eat and enjoy life.

When To Climb

Summer: June-mid September

Camping / Accommodation

The village of Saas-Grund offers a lot of various accommodations. Popular is the camping site, located in a nice surrounding just outside the town. If you extend your visit to the Saas-valley to explore more of its beauty and scenery, you´ll have the oppurtunity to stay in Saas-Fee which offers a greater number of accommodations and restaurants than the smaller village of Saas-Grund. The Feehof Garni is one of several small hotels which offers genuine hospitality and great value for money. The Weissmies hut is the immediate neighbour of the Jägihorn where from it´s terasse almost all activities on the mountain can be viewed. The hut is very comfortable and is the most frequently used startingpoint for Fletschhorn and Lagginhorn and also for the Weissmies as an alternative to Hoh-Saas. Therfore: a reservation is essential.

Mountain Conditions

Some rock falls could occure (normal route as described )

Climbing trail

Recently a great climbing trail has been released, which takes the climber on a round-trip over the east and west ridge of the Jägihorn. With more than 1000 meters of fixed steel-ropes, ladders and aids the route is taking you through exposed and breathtaking scenery. For more info, please visit the web-site of the Active Dreams & Bergsportschule Weissmies (only in German) where maps and more info can be found or better check out all the info posted by Thomas Schmid under ROUTE "Via ferrata south wall".

Useful information

Recommended map: "Simplon" (1309) 1:25000 Landeskarte Der Schweiz Litterature: "Clubführer Walliser Alpen 5" by SAC Schweizer Alpen Club

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Mauntainfreak - Jan 8, 2016 5:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Climbing Via Ferrata

This is a photo-gallery of the climb by the via ferrata. (click the photo): Click to enlarge

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Weissmies GROUPMountains & Rocks