Alta Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 24 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi Morgan,

nice page! Is there only this one trail? Do you know some book titles? Do you have links concerning train/bus? Where is the next airport?

Regards, Rahel

2. Feb.: I just looked after your page. Unfortunately, you have not finished the update totally. I was so much looking forward to seeing it ;o).I changed my vote from 4 to 3 stars .... Please contact me if you have finished all updates. Then I will give you the 4 stars again ... ;o)

3. Febr.: Morgan, you are an excellent scholar ;o) ... you pushed me to become a teacher although I never wanted to be that ... ;o)... now, you have your 4 stars back ;o).
Posted Jan 23, 2002 11:00 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Rahel,

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, there is only one trail to the summit, though many routes are possible. I need to make a Topo! map with some of the important approaches. This is especially important for ski mountaineering. I'm hoping Josh sets up the object type for "logistical center" so I can just link to the city of Fresno or the Lodgepole Ranger Station.

-Morgan
Posted Jan 23, 2002 2:59 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Rahel, I made the changes you recommended, primarily by adding a "Lodgepole Logistical Center"
Posted Feb 2, 2002 3:43 pm

tobiUntitled Comment

Good page!
Posted Feb 6, 2002 2:18 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Hi tobi,

I'd like to make my page a "great page". What changes could I make to improve your vote to 4 stars?

-Morgan
Posted Feb 6, 2002 1:06 pm

kironicUntitled Comment

kironic

mpbro,

Alta Peak is a great hike. You've done a great job filling in the info. A 4 star page for sure!

-kironic
Posted Mar 22, 2002 7:28 pm

Dave DalyUntitled Comment

Dave Daly

Hey Morgan-

The page looks good. I'll try to submit more peaks for the west side of the Sierras as well. Great links to the surrounding areas.

Warm regards,

Dave
Posted Apr 22, 2002 2:13 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Octerber 1: Great work already!

Thanks for adopting it. I was hoping you'd take it and I'm sure you'll do a great job, especially with the skiing section.
Posted Sep 30, 2002 11:13 am

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Good page, nice work. Cheers William
Posted Oct 9, 2002 2:19 pm

PopoffUntitled Comment

Good page.
Posted Nov 15, 2002 8:57 am

cartaleUntitled Comment

cartale

Excellent page; very informative and accurate!

Thanks for your hard work, it is appreicated!

Chris
Posted Jan 21, 2003 7:54 am

robojedaAlta

robojeda

Great page! I would only mention that Alta pk. is very prominent from within Three Rivers, it is quite stunning too. That's all, keep up the good work.
Posted Feb 16, 2006 4:42 am

tarolAlta

tarol

Nice page. But I disagree with your statement that Alta is not prominent when viewed from any particular vantage point. Alta Peak is prominent when viewed from the San Joaquin Valley and especially Hwy 198 heading towards Three Rivers and the Park. When viewed on a clear day from the vicinity of Visalia, Alta, Silliman, Black Kaweah, Sawtooth, Homer's Nose, Maggie, and Moses Mountains stand out really well...

~Carol
Posted Jun 26, 2006 5:55 pm

steelemanRe: Alta

steeleman

sorry, i got hung up on the part about "a clear day from the vicinity of Visalia" ;)

-Rich
Posted Jun 30, 2006 12:00 am

tarolRe: Alta

tarol

Well then, you ought to visit in the off season - from November through April most days are clear and the mountains are beautiful when viewed from the vicinity of Visalia and Porterville.

Posted Jul 7, 2006 9:23 pm

steelemanRe: Alta

steeleman

I'm sure there are nice days, i've not experienced them.

American Lung Ass'n Rankings: Metropolitan Areas Most Polluted by Short-term Particle Pollution (24-Hour PM2.5)
Rank Metropolitan Area

1 LOS ANGELES-LONG BEACH-RIVERSIDE, CA
2 FRESNO-MADERA, CA
3 BAKERSFIELD, CA
4 PITTSBURGH-NEW CASTLE, PA
5 EUGENE-SPRINGFIELD, OR
6 BIRMINGHAM-HOOVER-CULLMAN, AL
6 SALT LAKE CITY-OGDEN-CLEARFIELD, UT
8 SACRAMENTO-ARDEN-ARCADE-TRUCKEE, CA-NV
9 VISALIA-PORTERVILLE, CA
10 CLEVELAND-AKRON-ELYRIA, OH
Posted Jul 13, 2006 4:38 am

tarolRe: Alta

tarol

I am well aware of the air pollution problem. I lived in Sequoia National Park for two summers and a fall back in 1999 and 2000, and I did educational programs for people on top of Moro Rock about the air pollution... and I thought the same thing you do, that clear days were basically non-existent. Then I moved here and have lived here year-round for 4 years now. Most days year-round are nice and clear. The dog days of summer (starting right about now) and early fall are not usually. Yesterday, for instance, was the first day this year that I couldn't see Mt. Silliman from my neighborhood. I've seen it every day since last fall. Anyway, it was a nice eye opener to find out that my view was of the valley as always polluted was wrong.

This is what the view is like more days than not

Maggie and Moses Mountains from Springville:

The Great Western Divide from Visalia:

Alta Peak and Lake Kaweah:

Posted Jul 13, 2006 4:22 pm

tarolLinks are broken

tarol

Your NOAA weather link is broken. Try this one http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=hnx&zone=caz097&fire=caz297&county=cac107

Your Lodgepole links are broken as well... Try this one for camping http://www.nps.gov/seki/pphtml/camping.html

This one for the Lodgepole Logistical Center http://www.summitpost.org/logistical-center/150830/sequoia-np-lodgepole-logistical-cent.html
Posted Jul 13, 2006 4:41 pm

steelemanRe: Links are broken

steeleman

sorry. i don't get on SP as much as I can and the NOAA and USFS seem to change their URLs every 6 months. Any interest in taking over this mountain as the maintainer since you are local and appear to have a lot of interest in it?
Posted Jul 13, 2006 8:07 pm

tarolRe: Links are broken

tarol

Sure, I'd love to... Thanks!
Posted Jul 13, 2006 9:39 pm