Ama Dablam. October 2004.

Ama Dablam. October 2004.

Ama Dablam. October 2004.
PeterCorneliusSpaeth
on Jan 1, 2005 5:54 am
Image ID: 83323

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Jan 3, 2005 8:42 pm - Voted 10/10

When That Chunk Falls

The incredible overhanging cornice in this photo will one day come loose. What a calamity that will be! Think of the sound it will make! Of course, being anywhere nearby could spell doom for anyone below. Incredible zoom shot!

PeterCorneliusSpaeth

PeterCorneliusSpaeth - Jan 4, 2005 10:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: When That Chunk Falls

Regarding zoom: unfortunately I only had a very cheap lens then. Back in Kathmandu I found out the trip was very cheap until then. So I used the fact that Nikon lenses are extremely cheap in KTM. Below Singapore pricing, but witout Nikon warranty. Took the risk and am very happy now. If I only had bought it before flying in...

Peter.

PeterCorneliusSpaeth

PeterCorneliusSpaeth - Nov 18, 2006 2:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: When That Chunk Falls

Unfortunately last week it came true what you feared. Causing 6 people to vanish from camp 3, quite below the balcony. Compare my pic to that of:
www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=15299

We just came back from a Makalu / Khumbu Trek 3 weeks ago and also have seen lots of avalanches in the region then. Will post pic from an avalance on Mera Peak West face. 4 weeks ago 3 sherpas where lost between camp 1 ond 2 on Pumori, not to far from Ama Dablam. Bad season and lot of melting even higher up.

Peter

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Nov 18, 2006 5:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: When That Chunk Falls

Hi Peter-Yes, I noted the same thing in one of the forum threads earlier this week, having forgotten I had made this comment on your picture in January of 2005.

I have not or ever will attempt such a mountain or climb in such conditions, although I did climb long ago in winter when I was younger and didn't mind the suffering. I see photos like this though and wonder why folks would attempt a route with a feature that could obviously come apart at any second, especially given the warm and unfavorable conditions you mention.

At any rate, this is a very sad time and I feel great heartache for the families of the climbers that perished in this event. We all go into the mountains understanding the risks, and for me there is some solace in knowing these climbers passed on doing what they loved. I suppose if I go in similar fashion, there is a bit of comfort in that.

Den Arkin Smith

Den Arkin Smith - Nov 12, 2006 8:28 pm - Voted 10/10

you are a Master!

Peter, it's amazing! Though Ama Dablam is my favourite summit I am only climbing on it in my dreams.
This picture is unbelievable!!!
I've never seen a close zooming about the summit region like that!!!
Honestly, I'm watching it tremulously!
But it seems a deadly steep mountain-side on the right! Where does the normal route lead?

Are you interested in the flag of our little alpine-fellowship? The Ama Dablam is the mountain we got the name of, and its sight is what we were inspired by.
You can see it(balck and white) in my image gallery.

Thanks!

PeterCorneliusSpaeth

PeterCorneliusSpaeth - Nov 18, 2006 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: you are a Master!

Thanks Den. Normal route is just on the right side of the balcony. In fact that is the easier part of the route. Accordinbg to a friend of mine, difficulties are in the lower rocky section. Ama Dablam was on my wish list but given how crowded the Khumbu region is nowadays, I will look for something else. Other than the standard route are too hard for me. Anyhow, the looks af the Ama Dablam are awesome.
Best Regards,
Peter

Viewing: 1-6 of 6