Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.36143°N / 112.82272°W
Additional Information County: Kane
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 10027 ft / 3056 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Andy Nelson Peak isn't the highest point in Kane County-lower by 53 feet-If you are chasing highpoints why not grab this one, which is just 1.8 miles to the south of the highpoint.

The trailhead is at the Te-ah Campground west of Navajo Lake. The trip is 3.5 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 867'. The summit is at N37 31.054 W112 49.018.

(description taken from geocache GCJXQW)

Getting There

Te-ah Campground at Navajo Lake:

(Don’t miss the Zion Canyon Overlook along the way)

· On I-15, take exit 59 eastbound at Cedar City. (Another option from the north would be to exit at Parowan and follow SR-143 up Parowan Canyon past by the colorful Hurricane Cliffs, Brian Head, and Cedar Breaks, before connecting to SR-14.)

· Head east and follow any signage for Cedar Canyon, Cedar Breaks, or Brian Head. It will be approximately 1 mile east to SR-130, then a few blocks south to SR-14, then east into the canyon

· Follow scenic SR-14 approximately 26 miles up Cedar Canyon to the Navajo Lake turnoff, approximately 8 miles past the SR-143 junction.

· Follow the road around to the southern side of the lake and continue to Te-ah campground at the southwest end.

· Watch for the Virgin River Rim trailhead sign on the south side of the road. There should be spots to pull off and park near or just beyond the trailhead sign.

Begin the hike at the Virgin River Rim trailhead located at N37° 31.996 W112° 49.260. Follow it south along a well-defined forested trail. This is a very nice hiking trail that is well suited for mountain biking for much of the 2.5 miles leading to the flat, meadow summit. The trail does putter out slightly as it gets steeper during a scramble up the last half-mile.

Near the 1.5 mile mark, after winding south around two hillsides, the Virgin River Rim trail meets up with Lodge Trail. Stay right/south on the Virgin River Rim trail as you head another 0.5 mile to a saddle between Navajo Peak and Any Nelson Peak. Don’t miss the distant views here of majestic Zion’s Canyon-- if the sun is positioned right you might see the spectacular mountain walls of Zion glowing like a beacon. From here, a short scramble (less than 0.5 mile) up the hillside to the north will have you on top of another Utah County high peak.

On top you'll find exciting views of Navajo Peak to the south, Navajo Lake to the northeast, the Kane County high point just to the left of the cliff bands to the north, and the Pine Valley Mountains in the distance to the southwest. Is that Signal Peak, Washington County's highpoint in the distance? Look around and take in yet another picture-perfect spot in Utah.


Red Tape

No red tape.

Camping

Te-ah has drinking water and restrooms for a fee.

External Links

I lost my camera on this trip, so I will post pictures as soon as I get copies from the others in our group.


alt="Click for Cedar City, Utah Forecast" height=60 width=468>





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.