Aosta Valleys & small valleys (Ayas/Gressoney) - sec.part/c

Aosta Valleys & small valleys (Ayas/Gressoney) - sec.part/c

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 45.80420°N / 7.78830°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Note



        La montagna chiama i suoi figli, ed essi rispondono fedelmente al suo appello…

                                                                                           Osvaldo Cardellina, Diario alpinistico, 1964-65


Page texts: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", passed away on May 2, 2022. Page owners: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Any updates from September 12, 2022: Antonio Giani, page administrator, friend and climbing companion.

Testi della pagina: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", scomparso il 2 maggio 2022. Proprietari pagina: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Eventuali aggiornamenti dal 12 settembre 2022: Antonio Giani, amministratore della pagina, amico e compagno di salite.

 

East-northeastern Overview

The great bulk of the work forces in the same split in turn into two other parts, after that A paid to that sector from Mount Blanc includes all the valleys to the Northeast, including Valpelline, this next part, still on the North Slope Hydrographic, is inclusive of:
 
4) - Large rectangular amongst Saint Barthélemy, Valtournenche, Ayas, Gressoney Valleys & Southern Appendages.
The geometry of this area takes on different aspects if, as we have done and how best will specify later, the same is divided into two sectors. But this, from the practical point of view , bears no relevance, since this study is still targeted to the area between the Central Valley of Baltea demarcation provided by Northern Valpelline and from the Eastern border of the Valley of Gressoney, last valley towards West/East Valley of Aosta, in Piedmont. In this regard, there has to be mentioned, as best exposes later, as in this broad area the novelty and not found in other sources, if not the occasional note in the "Guide of the Western Alps" B & V 1896 consists of that part missing specification of the Lower Valley of Aosta and Biella in the Alpine foothills. Indeed, even the two guides of the "Monte Rosa" in 1960 ( authors Silvio Saglio and Felice Boffa ) and 1991 (Gino Buscaini ) by the C.A.I./T.C.I. stop at the Pass of Maccagno/Mount Cossarello the first and the second on the same hill. In this area, the numbering of the paths assumes a graphic description, as shown by the Maps consulted, slightly different, for example, can be reversed letters and numbers (1A > a1, 3a etc.) and use lowercase letters. Or simply numbers unaccompanied by any letter (Ex. 1). Do not be surprised then anyone who encounters this differentiation, apparently due to an error.
 
 
 
La forma geometrica di quest'area assume aspetti diversi se, come abbiamo fatto e come meglio preciseremo in avanti, la stessa vien divisa in due settori. Ma ciò, dal punto di vista pratico, non assume alcuna importanza, poiché pur sempre questo studio é rivolto al quel settore compreso tra la Valle Centrale della Dora Baltea, alla demarcazione Settentrionale fornita dalla Valpelline e da quella Orientale dal confine della Valle di Gressoney, ultima valle in direzione Ovest/Est della Valle di Aosta, con il Piemonte. A tal proposito v'é da accennare, come meglio si espone più avanti, come in questa ampia zona la novità assoluta e non reperibile in altre fonti, se non qualche sporadica nota in "Guida delle Alpi Occidentali" di B&V 1896, consista di quella parte mancante specifica della Bassa Valle di Aosta e delle Prealpi Biellesi. Infatti anche le due Guide del "Monte Rosa" del 1960 (autori Silvio Saglio e Felice Boffa) e del 1991 (di Gino Buscaini) ad opera del C.A.I./T.C.I. si soffermano al Passo del Maccagno/Monte Cossarello la prima ed al medesimo colle la seconda. In questo settore la numerazione dei sentieri assume una descrizione grafica, come risulta dalle Carte consultate, leggermente diversa; ad esempio posson essere invertiti lettere e numeri (1A > a1, 3a ecc.) ed utilizzate lettere in minuscolo. Oppur più semplicemente senza numerazione alcuna (Es. 1). Non si sorprenda quindi chi incontri questa differenziazione, apparentemente imputabile ad errore.
 
This wide area which encompasses the valleys & vallons perpendicular to the trend Dora Baltea River with North/South with the Valleys of Saint-Barthélemy, the Marmore or Valtournanche, the Evanéon also Ayas and Lys or Gressoney. It also includes all those appendices that Becca of Viou, above the Town of Aosta, down towards the South until the beginning of the Valley of Saint Barthélemy and the foothills between this extreme and Valtournanche above the Municipalities of Quart, Nus, Chambave, Verrayes and Saint Dénis, ending with the Summits of the Croix de Fana, Becca d'Aveuille, Mount Ander-Cima of Longhede-Becca d'Aver up to the Saint Pantaléon Hill, above Mount Roux, with its ancient and now abandoned mines (*** See also REMARKS below).
 
CERVINO (MATTERHORN)  from Mont Corquet September 2003
<b><font color=red>AOSTA s</font> VALLEY in<font color=green> SUMMITS MOUNT ROSA </font> <font color=BLUE>POINTE DUFOUR (4635m) </font></b>
 
 
La grande mole di questo lavoro costringe a sdoppiare il medesimo a sua volta in altre due parti; dopo quella A rivolta al Settore che dal Monte Bianco comprende tutti i valloni verso Nordest, Valpelline compresa, questa parte successiva, pur sempre relativa al Versante Idrografico Settentrionale, é comprensiva del:
 
4) - Grande parallelepipedo frapposto tra le Valli di Saint Barthélemy, Valtournanche, Ayas, Gressoney & Appendici Meridionali. Questa vasta area, che racchiude i valloni perpendicolari alla Dora Baltea con andamento Nord/Sud, nonché le Valli di Saint Barthélemy, del Marmore o Valtournanche, dell'Evançon o d'Ayas nonché del Lys o Gressoney. Inoltre comprende tutte quelle appendici che dalla Becca di Viou, sopra la Città di Aosta, scendono verso Sud fino all'inizio della Valle di Saint Barthélemy e le propaggini estreme tra questa e la Valtournanche sopra i Comuni di Quart, Nus, Chambave, Verrayes e Saint Dénis, concludendosi con le Sommità della Croix de Fana, Becca d'Aveuille, Mont Ander-Cima di Longhede-Becca d'Aver insino al Colle di Saint Pantaléon ed al Mont Roux, con le sue antiche ed ormai abbandonate miniere. (*** Vedi, inoltre, NOTA sottostante)
 
 
NOTE A more thorough investigation of the work done up to now recommended to divide, in turn, this large area of ​​Central/Eastern in two specific areas: the Valleys of Saint Barthélemy/Valtournanche with Southern Appendices relating to the Central Valley River dora Baltea from that further East on the two Valleys of Mount Rosa Mountain Chain, or the Ayas Valley and Gressoney. This with the aim of making more agile and lean reading, and the consultation of the same. In fact, the wealth of observations with detailed report to the lakes, hills and mountains (always with easy routes and addressed to all Walkers and Hikers) with the relative signal paths, accompanied by their initials and numbers (local, intervalleys, High Route, TMB or Tour of the Mount Blanc, TGC or Tour of Grand Combin, TMR or Monte Rosa Tour, GSW or Great Walser Trail, VA or Alpine Route, gta or Great Traverse of Alps), journey goes far beyond what was the primary analysis of individual valleys to the North and South of the Dora and the resulting programmatic intent. Well pleased to offer this "enrichment" pleasantly unexpected, that implies a workload Supplementary considerable, it is, however, aware of the fact that he tends progressively to "weigh" the frame and the "skeleton" of the same carrier, for wherefore it becomes even more necessary than useful this further division of labor.
 
 
NOTA Una più approfondita indagine sul lavoro fino a qui svolto consiglia di dividere, a sua volta, questa grande area Centro/Orientale in due specifiche zone: quella delle Valli di Saint Barthélemy/Valtournanche con relative Appendici Meridionali verso la Valle Centrale del Fiume Dora Baltea da quella più ad Est concernenti le due valli del Monte Rosa, ovvero la Valle di Ayas e quella di Gressoney. Ciò con lo scopo di rendere più agile e snella la lettura, nonché la consultazione della medesima. Infatti le abbondanti osservazioni con relazione dettagliata verso laghi, colli e montagne (sempre con itinerari facili e rivolti a tutti coloro che amano le belle passeggiate ed agli Escursionisti in genere) con relativa segnalazione dei sentieri di percorrenza, accompagnati dalle rispettive sigle e numerazioni (locali, intervallivi, Alta Via, TMB o Tour del Monte Bianco, TGC o Tour del Grand Combin, TMR o Tour del Monte Rosa, GSW o Gran Sentiero Walser, VA o Via Alpina, gta o Grande Traversata delle Alpi), vanno ben al di là di quella che era la primaria analisi dei singoli valloni a Nord ed a Sud del corso della Dora ed i conseguenti intenti programmatici. Ben lieti di proporre questo "arricchimento" piacevolmente imprevisto, tale da implicare un carico di lavoro supplettivo non indifferente, si é consci però del fatto che il medesimo tende progressivamente ad "appesantire" il telaio e lo "scheletro" portante dello stesso, per la qual cosa diventa più ancora necessaria che utile questa ulteriore divisione del lavoro.
 

East-northeasterner VALLEYS & VALLONS (Ayas Valley)

VALLEYS & VALLONS In order to deploy clockwise from Ayas Valley to Testa of Comagna & Appendages
 
 
In Verrès, Challant Saint Victor & Anselme, Brusson, Ayas, Champoluc, Arnad, Bard & Donnas Municipalities Ayas Valley & surroundings Brusson-Joux Basin: from Verrès (391m) to Val d'Ayas with Regional Road towards Challand Saint Victor, Challand(t) Saint Anselme (1.030m), Brusson (1.338m) Municipalities; from Brusson-La Pilaz (1.292m) in West through Regional Road to Praz de la Brengaz (1.505m), Bois de Joux (1.522m) Pastures, Napoleonic Fountain, Joux Hill (+; 1639m). Descent to Emarese/Saint Vincent Communes, always through in asphalt road. Also ascent with path n° 1 to
1) - Hill, between Mount de Fremies/Tete de Comagne; from this in South with path n° 1B to Tete de Comagne (+; 2.105m).
Ayas Comba: from Brusson continue on Regional Road to Vollon, Extrepierre (1.389m) Hamlets, up to the alternative near Corbet Village (1.510m); turn left and through Municipal Road to Praz Charbon, Chavette (1.532m), Lignod (1.615m), Antagnod (1.684m) - Ayas Commune (1.721m). From this in Southwest with path n° 2/105 to Barmasc (+; 1.898m; parking near a restaurent) and, amogst Arpeillaz/Borbey/Tantané Woods, Portola Hill (2.414m); in South, same path on North Crest, to Mount Zerbion. In North with path n° 9, crossing or doubling various small elevations, to Mount Tantané (+; 2.734m). From Barmasc in North-northwest with path n° 2A to Pillonet Hill (2.698m), above the mines in altitude 2.363, 2.319 meters.
 
 
 
Na(n)na(z) Eastern Comba: from Ayas in North to Bejou (1.716m), Mandriou (1.849m; signal no transit) Villages; in Northwest, path n° 3/3A, to Vascotchaz (+; 2.251m), Plan Péra (2.322m) Pastures. In North-northwest, path n° 3A, to
1) - Bec de Nana (3.003m), through Southeast Slope; in North, path n° 3, to
2) - Vascotchaz Pass (2.568m) and, crossing to Northwest, to Nanna(z) Hill (2.772m). Descent to Chamois Comba. Tournalin Valley: from Brusson to Champoluc (1.559m) and from this to Saint-Jaques (1.697m), through Regional Road; from following alternative in Southwest with path n° 4/4A/Haute Route numer 1 to Croués (1.870m), Nannaz Dèsot (2.049m), Tournalin Dèsot (2.278m) an Damon (2.535m), near Grand Tournalin Refuge (2.544m). With hemi circular tour, path n° 4A/Haute Route to
1) - Nannaz Hill;
2) - Becca Trécare. From fork just below the hill, in North and path n° 3D to
3) - Petit Tournalin (+; 3.207m), through South Slope and Crest; from refuge in Northeast/northwest to
4) - Cross Hill (2.800m) and, passing over Lake Verde (2.721m), to
5) - small saddle 3.288 meters, Mount Roisetta (3.312m), through Southeast Slope.
 
Aventine Comba: from Saint-Jaques-Blanchard (1.721m) in Northwest with path n° 8E/5A, along Cortot Torrent, to Lake de Rollin (2.823m) and various Adventine Lochs (Grand Lake 2.809m, Loch de la Pointe de Rollin 2.910m), amongst Gran Sometta/Northern Hill of Cime Bianche/Plateau Rosa Pass/Pointe de Rollin. From Lake de Rollin in Northwest with path n° 6B to Southern Cime Bianche Hill and with path n° 20 to Northern (2.982m).
 
Rollin Comba: from Saint-Jaques-Armaz (1.730m) in North with path n° 7/8 to Fièry (+; 1.875m); from this with path n° 6/GSW (Great Path Walser)/TMR (Tour du Mount Rosa) to Vardaz (2.337m), Mase (2.403m) Pastures. Continue along the torrent up to the fork about 2.550 meters among various ponds and, turning right, with unnumbered path to Città di Mariano Bivouac (2.844m), sited on rocky promontory below two glaciers. Variant: from Fièry Alpage, path n° 6/6C, to Aventine (2.182m), fork immediately before Vardaz, Céré (2.533m) Pastures, Città di Mariano Bivouac.
 
 
 
 
Grand Lac-Tzère Vallon: from from Fièry Alp in Northeatst, path n° 7/8, to Beau Bois Pastures (1.897m), fork 2.023 meters; from this in North, path 8E/TMR to Plan de Céré Alp (2.178m). Continue North-northwest path n° 6C to
1) - fork 2.340 meters, below Verdaz Alp (2.337m), Céré High Alp (2.533m), Bivouac Città di Mariano; in North pathless with traces along Céré Torrent and through moraines to
2) - Céré small Loch (2.488m) and in Northeast to Grand Lac (2.860m), under Tzere Glacier. From this in West, unnumbered path, to 
3) - Bivouac Mariano; in East through moraine and blocks to
4) - Mount de Véraz or Rocca di Verra (3.137m), standard via (various difficult rocky routes in East above Lac Bleu in Verra Tableland).
 
Véraz or Verra Vallon: from St.-Jaques continue short time on Regional Road to triple cross nearby Blanchard Village (1.721m); from this in Northeast through Municipal to Moléraz (1.858m), Revay (1.948m; connection with Beau Bois), and with dirt road-path to Véraz Tableland, Lake Bleu (2.211m; beautiful walking). From loch, path n° 7/8 (from Beau Bois) turning briefly East to Véraz Torrent, after in North to alternative path n° 7 dirt road (from Plan de Véraz), to fork 2.553 meters; continue North to Ottorino Mezzalama (3.009m), Guides of Val d'Ayas (3.394m) Refuges, below Rossi-Volante Bivouac (3.750m) on connection two Véraz Grand Glaciers, under East Breithorn/Roccia Nera or Schwarzruken.
 
Bettolina Vallon: from dirt road near Véreaz Alp (2.394m), or fork 2.553 meters, path n° 7A, in East-southeast, path n° 8, to
1) - Passo Superiore della Bettolina or Obre Betlinòfòrkò (3.058m); from this in North, path n° 9, to
2) - Quintino Sella two Refuges (3.602m), above Felekgletscher.
 
Resy-Fourcare Vallons: from St.-Jaques in Northeast, path n° 9, to Guide Frachey/G.B. Ferraro Refuges nearby Resy Alp (2.086m); from these before in East with path
n°9/TMR to fork 2.155 meters, nearby Fourcare Dèsot (Lower) Pasture. In North, path n° 8C/8D, to
1) - Palon de Resy (+; 2.673m); in North-northeast, path n° 8D, to
2) - Résy Lochs (2.576m, the upper). From Fourcare in East-southeast through dirt road to Fourcare Damon (Upper; 2.333m) or directly in East path n° 9/TMR to
3) - Bettaforca Hill or Battfòrkò (2.672m). Descent to
4) - Staffal.
 
Gressoney Valley. Saint-Jaques-Charchèrioz-Sarezza Basin: from Regional Road fork 1.601 meters in East, path n° 10, to Soussun (1.958m) near pasture; in South, path n° 13B/GSW/Haute Route number 1 to Crest Forné Alp (2.025m; near the arrival of Cablecar from Champoluc to Vieux Crest Refuge, 1.952m); changing completely direction in North-northeast to
1) - Belvedere Refuge (2.303m), near Saler Damon Alp. From refuge in Northeast, path n° 10A to
2) - Continery Alp (2.277m), above Lac de Saler Damon (2.216m) and with path n° 10/TMR Rothorn Pass or Salerfòrkò (2.687m); Southeast, pathless and through moraines to base 2.410 meters of
3) - Mount Sarezza (2.820m; short but good rocky via on West-northwest Edge). Also from fork around 2.440 meters in South, unnumbered path, to
4) - Sarezza Hill (2.704m), at the base of Testa Grigia or Grauhaup (3.314/5m).
 
 
 
Cun-Pinter-Testa Grigia Comba or Cuneaz Vallon: from Vieux Crest Refuge in Southeast, path n° 11A/11B/GSW/ to Fontaney (1.976m), Cunéaz (+; 2.062m) Alpages, Plan de Gony to
1) - Pinter Hill or Péntecoll (2.776m); from fork just below the pass in South, unnumbered path, to
2) - three Pinter Lakes (2.689m, the Upper), Perrin Loch (2.633m), all between Mascognaz Pass or Mascognacoll (2.861m)/Perrin Hill (2.649m).
 
Mascognaz Vallon: from Champoluc (1.559m) in Southeast with path n° 14C/14/105 to Mascognaz (+; 1.810m), Vieille (1.958m), Chavanne (2.016m), Pra Sec (2.152m), Palud (2.274m) Pastures to
1) - Palasina(z) Hill (2.661m); from Palud in Northeast, path n° 14A along Perrin Torrent, to
2) - Perrin Lake. In East, through moraines along Mascognaz Torrent, to
3) - Southwest Crest of Corno Vitello or Chalberhòre (3.057m) and from a his great shoulder easily to Summit, through path n° 5B. From hill in West to
4) - Corno Bussola (+; 3.023m), through easy but long East Crest.
 
Brenguez or Bringhen Vallon: A from Brusson-Pilaz (1.388m) briefly in East through Regional Road up to the "Ponte Antico" near "Ponte delle Fate" (Ancient Bridge nearby Hole of the Fairies; 1.436m, 1524m); from fork 1493 metres, leaving East the path n° 4, continue North with n° 3 to Brenguez (1.988m), Chavannes (1.997m; source) Pastures and along the torrent to
1) - Lac de Brenguez or Bringhen (2.529m); from this in Southwest to
2) - Pointe Palon (2.733m), pathless, and easy traverse on crest to Pointe Gua (2.776m). From lake in North, path n° 3, to
3) - Brenguez Pass (2.661m) with crossing in descent and connection with Palasinaz various Lochs (especially Lakes of the Battle, Pocia and Long).
 
Palasina(z) Comba or Basin: B from "Fairies Hole" in Northeast, path n° 4, to Mandaz (1.564m), Raccard (1.784m), Alp of Waterfall (1.912m), Lavassey (1.996m) Quiappa Pastures (2.245m; connection-path n° 4A to
 
Brenguez Vallon). From fork 2.141 meters, before Quiappa Alp, in Northeast, path n° 4. to Merendioux (2.283m), Chavannes (2.347m; cross with dirt road from Estoul to Lake Litteran 2.209m or from Brusson parking), Palasinaz (2.402m) Pastures; from this in West, path n° 3B/105, to
1) - Lac de la Bataille (2.484m), Brenguez Pass, Southern Slope. From lake in Northwest, path 3C/105, to
2) - Lac de la Pocia (2.518m), Boussola(z) Pass (2.807m), Corno Bussola (+; 3.023m), through easy Southeast Crest and Slope (a short initial passage equipped). From "Battle Lake" in North, path n° 4, to
3) - Lakes Vert and du Couloir (2.607m), Palasina(z) Hill; descent to Mascognaz Vallon. From Palasinaz Alp in North, path n° 5/105 to fork 2.401 meters; from this in Northeast, unnumbered path, to
4) - three Lacs di Freide (2.544m, 2.575m, 2.589m), small saddle (2.778m) to Corno Vitello. Also from upper lake in East, pathless and through moraines to
5) - Valfredda Hill or Freidecoll (2.807m); from fork 2.401m in East, path n° 5/105 to
6) - Refuge Arp (2.446m; even dirt road-path n° 5/5F concomitant from Litteran Lake or Estoul parking). From refuge in East, path n° 5/105, traverse to
7) - Valnera Hill or Valdònierfòrkò (2.676m), below Punta di Valnera (+; 2.754m). Descent to
8) - Valdònier Alps, Valdònier d'Obra (2.296m) and d'Ondra (1.894m), Spéssié, St. Jean in Gressoney Valley.
 
^^^^^^^
Estoul Basin: from Brusson in East through Regional Road to Estoul Hamlet and small Resort (+; 1.814/18m; large parking). From parking after Estoul (about 1.860 meters) in Northwest with path n° 5/6 to
1) - Fontaine (1.903m), Chanlochère (2.012m), Chavanne (2.107m) Pastures and in North to Litteran Lake, below Mount Palon (2.594m); from this, unnumbered path in Northeast, easily
2) - to Summit. From fork before Chanlonchère, in Northeast path n° 6A/6B to
3) - Estoul/Chamen Lochs (2.434m, 2.451m); from lakes in North path n° 6A to
4) - Punta di Valnera or Valdòrnierhòre (2.754m), through Souheast Slope. In Est, path n° 6B, to
5) - Bocchetta d'Eclou (2.522m); from this in Northwest, path n° 4, to
6) - Punta di Valnera, on Southwest Crest. From parking in East,dirt farm road-path n° 7, to
7) - Murassaz (1.845m), Praz Barmasse Dèsot (1.928m; signal no transit); continue through dirt to Fenetre Alp (2.083m), Ranzola Hill or Arescoll (2.171m). Descent to Saint Jean, Kégnetsch in Gressoney Valley. From pass in North-northwest to
8) - three Mount Ciosé or Stallerhòre (2.647m, the highest), through traces on exposed South-southeast Ridge; in South, path n° 7A to
9) - Punta Regina (2.387m) or by n° 9A to
10) - Pointe Garda (2.232m). Descent in South to
11) - Frudiera Vallon.
 
 
 
 
Graines-Frudière Vallon: from Challand St. Anselme-Quinçod (1.030m) to Arcesaz Village (1.132m); in East with Municipal Road to Curien Village (1.245m), under the splendid Graines Castle (stone tower; 1.313m). Doubling below Northeast to Graines Village (1.396m; signal no transit). From Graines through hemicircular route with dirt farm road-path n° 9 to
1) - Ponteille (1.553m), Charbonnière (1.613m), Collet (1.652m), Restol (1.682m), Rovetta (1.777m), Champ Charlec (1.766m), Frudière (1.849m), Pichiou (1.902m), Chatelet (2.027m), Lac (2.060m), first great Frudiera Loch (2.035m), second (2.230m), Frudiera Pass (2.265m), between Mount Taf/Marienhorn. Descent in Gressoney Valley dangerous and closed. From Frudièrecoll in North, path n° 1A, to
2) - small saddle 2.416m; descent to Weissmatten (2.043m), Baite di David (1.781m), Andro-Stadla (1.758m) and, through Municipal Road, to Gressoney. Or from Baite David, path n° 2, to Tschalvrinò (1.660m), Barontsch Tschalvrinò (1.643m), Ronkefeeld (1.566m), Roncké (1.433m) Pastures, near Savoia Castle (1.438m). From Garda Alp (2.072m) in Northeast, path n° 9A, to
3) - Arescoll; in Northeast, path n° 9B, to
4) - Garda Hill. From this last in South, path n° 1B, to
5) - Mount Taille (+; 2.512m), Mount Rena or Wisomattòspétz (2.514m); from Frudière Pass in Southeast, without path, to
5) - Corno Maria or Marienhorn (2.767m), through moraines in a very narrow valley and South-southwest Crest.
 
Moula small Vallon: from State Road near Challand-Saint Anselme to Allesaz Village (1.120m), through Municipal Road; from this before in South, path n° 5), to Raala (1.653m) Pasture, after changing in North to
1) - Moula Alp (1.885m) and, always North, Cleve di Moula Hill (2.241m). Also from a fork around 1.940/50 meters in East, pathless, to
2) - La Forchetta Pass (2207m). The both with descent to
3) - Middle Frudière Vallon.
 
Challand-Chasten Vallon: from Tilly (954m), Regional Road just before St. Anselme, in East-northeast, path n° 2, to Corvera, Leuria (1.575m), Chavanisse (1.403m) Pastures; Variant: from Challand-St. Anselme to Tollegnaz Village (1.134m) through Regional/Municipal roads; from this in East with dirt road to Chavanisse. Continue, same direction-path, to Grun (1.501m), Seuc (1.564m), Gias (1.709m), Pra Baluard (1.712m), la Sort (1.984m), Pera Piccola (2.242m) Pastures to
1) - Chasten Pass (2.549m). From Pera in Northeast, pathless, to
2) - Mount Nery (3.075m) on Southwest Slope.
 
Isollaz-Dondeuil Vallon: from Villa, just before Challand St. Victor (Villa Pond, Challant Castle 885m), to Isollaz Hamlet (660m) from this
1) - before in North to Valfreche Pasture and after in Southeast to Dondeuil (1.817m) and Tramont de Dondeuil Alps (about 1.880/90 meters), through dirt farms road/VA; also in East, path n° ?VA to
2) - Ollion (1.168m), Vadebrie, Fontaney (1.422m), and with preceding route to Chalex, two Dondeuil Alpages, Dondeuil Hill (2.338m). Descent, path n° 1/VA, to
3) - Munes (+; 2.008m), Mongiovetta, Vieukle, Lamatta, Santa Margherita Alps, Issime Municipality (953m) in Gressoney Valley. From hill, both pathless, in North to
4) - Becca Torché (3.016m), small path, traces, blocks in final part (a passage, just after the hill, easy but exposed); in South to
5) - Corno del Lago or Peak of Allemands (2.747m), through traces on small rocks.
 
 
 
Verrès-Arnad-Aquila Basin: from Verrès (391m; beautiful ancient Castle 517m) through Munipal Road to Rovarey Hamlet (+; 1.614m), Riorta Pasture to dirt road fork 1.750/60 meters about; in East-southeast, unnumbered path, to
1) - Pianet (1.162m), Seura (1.547m) Pastures. Traverse in East on watershed to
2) - Cima Graulà or Granlà (1.907m), Chizzagne Alp (1.899m), Quota 2.106 meters, Champoussin Alp (2.192m), Monte dell'Aquila (2.580m). From fork in Southeast with dirt road to
3) - Vert Hill (1.406m). Variants: from Barme in Northwest, unnumbered path, to
4)- Palachlou (548m), Echavy (760m), Champ (913m), Monteyas (1.058m), Collombar (1.218m), Champbresson (1.245m) Alpages, Vert Hill; from Arnad (361m) in North-northwest, unnumbered path, to
5) - Champconte, Anviey (922m), Ansermy (994m), Montagne Verdojen (1.234m) Villages, Fornelle (1.282m) Alp, Vert Hill. From hill in North to
6) - Prattse (1.460m; neaby the Mines), Seura Alp, Cima Graulà, with previous route to Monte dell'Aquila.
 
Arnad le Vieux-Pré-Aquila Vallon or Valeille de Prapenus: from Arnad le Vieux-Ville with Municipal Road to Castello (Castle; 634m), Ruvere, Bonavessy (670m), Vacheres, Prè (630m) Villages; from this to
1) - Mulino Bioley, Lenghiessi, Reille Inferiore (Lower; 1.248m), Superiore (Upper; 1.437m), through unnumbered path. In North, pathless between two torrents into forest, to
2) - Monte dell'Aquila, with steep route in terminal part from altitude 1.750 meters about to Summit (inadvisable). Also
3) - departure from Vacheres (about 870 meters) directly in North, unnumbered path.
 
Machaby-EchallogneCrabun-Pietre Bianche Vallon: from the first winding road after Vacheres through unnumbered path to Barma (1.009m), la Revire (1.065m), Echallogne-Santa Anna (+; 1.331m) les Barmes (1.415m), Arla (1.582m) small Villages; from this, into a small and narrow vallon, to
1) - Barma Fredda (1.754m), Fossi, Possine (1.983m), Blanzetta (2.131m), Chiva Pass (2.418m). From Chiva Pass through Northeast Crest briefly to
2) - Monte dell'Aquila. Also from Fossi (about 1.850 meters) in East, crossing the torrent, to
3) - Mont de l'Arche Alp (2.351m), Arche Pass (2.413m).
 
Machaby-Coudrey-Finestra Vallon: from Machaby Village (724m; +; Sanctuary 696m), between Arnad/Bard Communes, in East with path to Arbenazzi (938m), Coudrey (1.298m), la Cou (1.374m), nearby Shelter Cap. Muttoni (ruins), Fenetra or Finestra Hill (1.671m). Variant: with departure from Bard Municipality (381m) in North to Albard di Bard (650m), Ciusal (845m), Bossou, Verale (1.215m), Laffumas (1.270m) to la Cou.
 
Bard-Donnas-Corma Comba: from Bard in Northeast with Municipal Road to Albard di Donnas (613m), Moscarola; from immediately under this, with dirt road, to Piot (765m) on Salassians Route, nearby Corma Machaby (798m) and Rocca Sufreid (about 1.400 meters; various climbing routes below the Croix Corma, 1.958m). The same is also accessible from the valley floor in the stretch of Highway that links the Municipalities of Pont Saint Martin, Donnas and Bard. This rock band encircles the base the Croix Corma Southeast Slope, above Pont St. Martin, from its end to West.
 

 

Little overall survey on Val d'Ayas

Let's take a general look at this great valley, the penultimate Eastward in the Northern Sector. It begins in the area of East Breithorns up to the Roccia Nera (Black Rock) and the hill below the Porta Nera (Black Gate) or Schwarztor and includes the border ridge with the two Gemini, Castor and Pollux, to the part that goes from near the Hill of Félik on the Hill and the Perazzi Summit of the same name, this is the great higher glacial basin that is welded to the West with the two Breithorns Central and Western and in the opposite side with the Lyskamm West and East and the Colle del Lys (4.153m) and the subsequent saddle (4.248m), true gateway for climbers. Here begins in the strict sense, the Group itself of Mount Rosa, that with the beautiful, glacial dividing crest rises from Punta Giordani to Signalkuppe and the Zumstein. Moreover, after the Silbersattel, but now completely in Switzerland, dominates the Dufour (4.634m). The Ayas Valley or of the River Evançon and still the Valley of Challand, looking from the opposite direction ie from the South, or Central Valley River Dora Baltea, starts from the Municipality of Verrès (390m) with its squared Castle suspended over the headland above all mouth of the same, then sinuous meanders for about 30 km., reaching the Municipalities of Challand or Challants Saint Victor (744m), St. Anselme (1.040m), Brusson (1.338m) and Champoluc (1.538m) to finish with the last Villages of Frachey (1614m), Saint-Jacques (1.689m) and Fusine/Blanchard (1.713m). Apart from a small private dirt road (ban on) juts out into the Lake Bleu and ice expanses of the Grand, Véraz, Castor, Martelli and Perazzi Gletschers. Two long ridges watershed divide this valley from that of the West Valtournanche (more than 27 km. from Chatillon, 550m, to Breuil-Cervinia, 2.006m), and from Gressoney to the East (plus 37,5 Km. from Pont Saint Martin, 345m, up to the Fractions of Staffa/ Ogre/Grenne 1.843/72m in the Municipality of Gressoney la Trinité, 1.624m), and they, in turn, originates a series of walloons, generally in the direction of West/East in the first partition and in the opposite direction on the second, which descend perpendicularly to the Evançon Torrent bringing their waters.

A) - Watershed Valtournanche/Ayas: is originates from the ice sheet's Gobba (Hump) of Rollin (3.899m) to descend first to the West-southwest through the Glacier d'Adventine to Great Sometta (3.166m), located between the two Hills Northern and Souther of Cime Bianche; here begins more clearly the partition that reached in succession Mount Roisetta, the two Tournalins, Bec Trécare and Nana. From this point the ridge fold more in the Southwest to the Grand Dent/Pillonet Pass/Mount Tantané above the Commune of Ayas, and finally returns to the Southeast towards the Portola Hill/Mount Zerbion/Col de Joux and ends with the Southern appendages of the Head Comagna/Mount Zuccore/Mounte Obre/Mount Ros/Saint Gilles among the Municipalities of Chatillon/Saint Vincent/Emarese/Verrès/Challand St. Anselme/Brusson. This mountain chain has modest value to mountaineering and its walloons have more interest for ski-mountaineering, the middle part and the terminal also offer trips suitable for snowshoeing. One refuge is located in this vast area, that of Tournalins, under the same and the Nana Hill; shelter is also a place on the North Ridge of Mount Zerbion, along the "Via Crucis". Also another Refuge, City of Mariano, is placed on an internal partition to the Ayas Valley on rocky buttress at the base of the two glaciers Adventine/Tzère; according to a brief but important internal buttress falls parallel to that starting from the Glacier d'Adventine towards the Rocca di Verra or Mount of Véraz (on the Eastern walls, above the Lake Bleu (2.211m) on homonym Tableland, important and difficult climbing routes, even if short).

B) - Watershed Ayas/Gressoney: from the opposite side of the dividing crest, after the glacial masses at the base of Gemini Pollux and Castor, Felekspétz, Perazzi Peak (3.801m), reached the Quintino Sella Refuge continues Southward with a series of small hills, summits and useful to achieve the same; by Ròthòre or Rothorn (3.152m) rises at the Testa Grigia (Gray Head) or Grauhaupt (3.116m) with his big Shoulder in the South, where the site is Lateltin Bivouac. Dropped to Péntecoll reaches progression in the Corno Vitello (Horn Calf), Points of Valfredda, of Valnera, Bocchetta of Eclou and triple Mount Ciosé, above the Ranzola Hill (2.171m), between the Vallon Estoul and Gressoney Saint Jean. To the East of this area is covered with a wide, above the Village-Resort of Estoul, from a large number of lakes such as homonyms, to Litteran under the Mount Biéteron, of Freide and Palasina(z), at the Refuge Arp and feet of Corno Bussola and, last in the Southwest, Bringuez under Pointes of Palòn/Gua. The watershed spans more from the hill in the Southeast of the four Summits of the Regina (Queen), Taille, Rena and Taf to go down to the Hill Frudière, above two homonyms lakes to the West in the Vallon Graines/ Frudiera, in addition exceeds, leaving the Marienhorn to the East, the Mount Nery/Chasten Hill/ Mount Voghel/Becca Vlou and Torché, these two also called "Dames de Challand". This is an area of major interest than previous mountaineering, they had a greater interest in hiking, mainly thanks to their three North Walls (Nery/Vlou/Torché). After the Dondeuil Hill (2.338m) between Challand Saint Victor/Issime Municipalities, it widens the wilderness area of Mount Crabun with his Hut at the Summit, which declines in the Southwest toward Mount Aquila, above the Communes of Arnad/Bard, South towards Cima Pietre Bianche (White Stones)/Mount Rosso/Croix Corma above Donnas/Pont Saint Martin and, finally, Southeast to Top Prial/Lose Bianche/Cross Varfei, above Perloz/Lillianes/Fontainemore. This last area has a great rock band, high above the valley floor, very busy because lots of beautiful rock walls suitable for climbing. All other walloons have characteristics similar to those of previous watershed and there are many opportunities for ski-mountaineering and hiking with snowshoes.

<b>CHALLANT s DAMES</B>
Mont Nery
Becca di Vlou
Grand and Petit Tournalin
Lyskamm south side

 

"Challand, Chasten Walloons, Cheneil Basin in Ayas & Gressoney-Lys Valleys", by emilius, Antonio, p-mike & om

Diamo uno sguardo generale a questa grande valle, la penultima verso Oriente, nel Settore Idrografico ed Orografico Settentrionale. Essa inizia nel settore Est dei Breithorns fino alla Roccia Nera ed al sottostante colle della Porta Nera o Schwarztor e comprende la cresta di frontiera con i due Gemelli Polluce e Castore, fino al divisorio che discende dai pressi del Colle di Félik sul Colle Perazzi e l'omonima Punta; questo é il grande bacino glaciale superiore che si salda ad Ovest con i due Breithorns Centrale ed Occidentale e nel lato opposto con i Lyskamm Ovest ed Est ed il Colle del Lys (4.153m) e la successiva sella (4.248 m), vera porta di ingresso per gli alpinisti. Qui inizia in senso stretto, il Gruppo vero e proprio del Monte Rosa, che con la bella e glaciale cresta divisoria sale dalla Punta Giordani fino alla Gnifetti ed alla Zumstein. Oltre, dopo il Silbersattel, ma ormai completamente in Svizzera, troneggia la Dufour (4.634 m). La Valle di Ayas o del Torrente Evançon ed ancora Valle dei Challand, guardando dal senso opposto, ovvero da Sud, o Valle Centrale del Fiume Dora Baltea, incomincia dal Comune di Verrès (390m) con il suo squadrato Castello sospeso sul soprastante promontorio all'imbocco della medesima; poi si snoda sinuosa per circa 30 Km. raggiungendo i Comuni di Challand o Challant Saint Victor (744m), Saint Anselme (1.040m), Brusson (1.338m), Champoluc (1.538m) per concludere con gli ultimi Villaggi di Frachey (1.614 m), Saint-Jacques (1.689 m) e proprio in fondo di Fusine/Blanchard (1.713 m). Oltre una stradina poderale (divieto di transito) si protende verso il Lago Blù e le distese glaciali dei Grand, Véraz, Castor, Martelli e Perazzi Gletschers. Due lunghe creste spartiacque dividono questa valle da quella di Valtournanche ad Occidente (oltre 27 Km. da Chatillon, 550 m, a Breuil-Cervinia, 2.006m) e da quella di Gressoney ad Oriente (oltre 37,5 Km. da Pont Saint Martin, 345 m, alle Frazione di Staffa/Ogre/Grenne 1.843/72 m nel Comune di Gressoney la Trinité, 1.624 m); essi, a loro volta, originano una serie di valloni, generalmente con direzionalità Ovest/Est nel primo divisorio e nel senso opposto sul secondo, discendenti in modo perpendicolare verso il Torrente Evançon apportandovi le loro acque.

A) - Spartiacque Valtournanche/Ayas: trae origine dalla calotta ghiacciata della Gobba di Rollin (3.899 m) per scendere dapprima ad Ovest-sudovest tramite il Glacier d'Adventine verso la Gran Sometta (3.166 m), posta tra i due Colli di Cime Bianche; qui prende inizio con maggiore evidenza il divisorio che raggiunge in successione Mont Roisetta, i due Tournalins, Bec Trécare e Nana. Da questo punto la cresta dispiega di più a Sudovest verso la Grand Dent/Col Pillonet/Mont Tantané sopra il Comune di Ayas; infine torna a Sudest verso il Col Portola/Monte Zerbion/Col di Joux per concludersi con le appendici Meridionali della Testa di Comagna/Mont Zuccore/Monte Obré/Monte Ros/Saint Gilles tra i Comuni di Chatillon/Saint Vincent/Emarese/Verrès/Challand St. Anselme/Brusson. Questa catena ha modesta valenza alpinistica ed i suoi valloni han più interesse per lo sci-alpinismo; la parte mediana e quella terminale offrono escursioni anche adatte alle racchette da neve. Un solo rifugio si trova in questa vasta area, quello dei Tournalins, sotto i medesimi ed il Col di Nana; inoltre un riparo é posto sulla Cresta Nord dello Zerbion, lungo la "Via Crucis". Ancora un'altro Rifugio, Città di Mariano, é collocato su di un divisorio interno alla Valle di Ayas sul contrafforte roccioso alla base dei due Ghiacciai di Adventine/Tzère; un secondo breve ma importante contrafforte interno scende parallelamente a questo partendo dal Glacier d'Adventine verso la Rocca di Verra o Mont de Véraz (sulle sue pareti Orientali, sopra il Lac Bleu (2.211 m) nell'omonimo Piano (importanti e difficili vie di roccia, anche se di non gran dislivello).

B) - Spartiacque Ayas/Gressoney: dal lato opposto la cresta divisoria, dopo le masse glaciali alla base dei Gemelli Polluce e Castore, Felekspétz, Punta Perazzi (3.801 m), raggiunto il Rifugio Quintino Sella prosegue verso Sud con una serie di piccole sommità e colli utili a raggiungerne il medesimo; dal Ròthòre o Rothorn (3.152 m) s'alza alla Testa Grigia o Grauhaupt (3.116m) con il suo Spallone Meridionale, ove é sito il Bivacco Lateltin. Scesa al Péntecoll, raggiunge in progressione il Corno Vitello, Punta di Valfredda, di Valnera, Bocchetta di Eclou ed il triplice Mont Ciosè, sopra il Colle della Ranzola (2.171 m) tra il Vallone di Estoul e Gressoney Saint Jean. Ad Est di questo una vasta area é ricoperta, sopra il Villaggio di Estoul, da un numero notevole di laghi come gli omonimi, quello di Litteran sotto il Mont Biéteron, di Freide e Palasina(z), presso il Rifugio Arp ed ai piedi del Corno Bussola ed, ultimo a Sudovest, di Bringuez, sotto Pointes Palon/Gua. Lo spartiacque dal colle scavalca più a Sudest le quattro Punte della Regina, Taille, Rena e Taf per scendere al Colle di Frudière, sopra gli omonimi due laghi ad Ovest nel Vallone di Graines/Frudiera; oltre supera, lasciando ad Est il Marienhorn, il Mont Nery/Colle di Chasten/Monte Voghel/Becca di Vlou e Torché, queste due chiamate anche "Dames de Challand". Questa é area di maggior interesse alpinistico rispetto alle precedenti, che avevan maggior prppensione escursionistica, soprattutto grazie alle loro tre Pareti Settentrionali (Nery/Vlou/Torché). Dopo il Col Dondeuil 2.338 m), tra Saint Victor/Issime, s'allarga la selvaggia zona del Mont Crabun con il suo Rifugio presso la Cima, declinante a Sudovest verso il monte dell'Aquila, sopra i Comuni di Arnad/Bard, a Sud verso Cima Pietre Bianche/Monte Rosso/Croix Corma sopra Donnas/Pont Saint Martin ed infine a Sudest verso Cima Prial/Lose Bianche/Croce Varfei al di sopra di Perloz/Lillianes/Fontainemore. Quest'ultima area presenta una fascia rocciosa notevole, alta sul fondovalle, molto frequentata poiché ricca di belle pareti rocciose adatte all'arrampicata. Tutti gli altri valloni presentano caratteristiche similari a quelle del precedente spartiacque e molte son le occasioni per lo sci-alpinismo e le gite con racchette da neve.

"The Eastern Vallon of the Tournalins with the only refuge / Il Vallone Orientale dei Tournalins con l'unico Rifugio", by Corvus

 

East-northeasterner VALLEYS & VALLONS (Gressoney Valley)

"Then, riding the Lyskamms, abandon the Rose to go down South to the tiny Mombarone / Poi, cavalcando i Lyskamms, abbandoneremo il Rosa per scendere a Sud fino al piccin Mombarone", by Ilario Antonio Garzotto
VALLEYS & VALLONS In order to deploy clockwise from Central Baltea Valley to Gressoney Valley & surroundings
 
 
In Donnas, Lillianes, Fontainemore, Issime, Gaby, Gressoney Saint Jean, La Trinité, Pont Saint Martin Municipalities Ayas Valley & surroundings Perloz-Finestra-Crabun or Nantay Walloon: from Pont St. Martin (345m) with Regional Road to Gressoney Valley up to the fork 576 meters, between Tour d'Hereraz/Rechantey Villages; crossing the bridge over Lys Torrent, reach Perloz Village (660m). On Municipal Road in North to Marine (814m), Fey (1.022/1135m), Pesse (1.307m) Hamlets; from this West-southwest to
1) - Finestra Alp (about 1.550 meters) and Hill. From Pesse in North, same road, to
2) - Pra Pasture (1.380m); from this with path along Rio Nantay to Pian (1.785m), Lers (1.876m), Ibec, Replan Alps (2.182m) and in Northwest Bivouac Mount Crabun (2.680m), below Mount Crabun (2.710m). From Replan in East, path, to
3) - Simoletta, Cavanne Superiore (2.250m) Alp, Cima di Prial (2.424m), through short easy South Crest. Descent with path n° 1 to
4) - Prial, Nantrey, Chalasque, Ceve Alps, Kiry Chapel (1.632m), Chateroux Village (1.440m) and in North to
a) - Fontainemore; in South to
b) - Lillianes Communes in Lower Gressoney Valley. Lose Bianche-Prial Vallon: from Lillianes (667m) or from Fontainemore (760m), with previous descent, to Lose Bianche (2.435m) or Cima di Prial.
 
Issime-Valbona-Eastern Dondeuil Vallon: from Issime in West, path n° 1/VA, to
1)- S. Margherita, C. Zauin, Lamatta, Munes Inferiore (+; 2.008m), Dondeuil Hill; also
2) - variant: from Issime, Hubal (1.341m), Valka (1.309m), Schelty (1.448m), C. Ron, Bodma, Reich (1.892m), with trail in South of Valbona Torrent, to Munes Lower. From hill, pathless, in North to
3) - Becca Torché, small path, traces, blocks (a traverse exposed); in South to
4) - Corno del Lago, traces and small rocks. Descent in West to
5) - Western Dondeuil Walloon, Challand Saint Victor in
 
Val d'Ayas. Stolen Vallon: from Issime in West to
1) - S. Margherita, C. Zaouin, path n° 1/VA, concomitant Municipal Road; after in Northwest, path n° 1B, to Querec (1.947m), Trusi (1.990m), Muna (1.939m) Pastures. From this, path n° 2, to Piany (2.138m), Merhui (2.224m), Balma Lunga (2.350m) Alpages, Chasten Hill (2.549m), between Becca Frudiera South-southwest Crest/Quota 2.830 meters on Northern Ridge of Mount Voghel (2.925m). Also from Issime
2) - variant: in North, path n° 2, to Cugna, Bodt, Champriond, Ronc (1.345m), Borine (1.420m; connection in West to Muntuschuz, Muna Alps); from this, path n° 2b to
3) - Valnera (1.691m), Bruni, Grubi di Sotto (2.151m), saddle 2.624 meters, Mount Weiss Weib (2.517m), West Crest.
 
 
 
"From Frudièrecoll to Forca Walloon in Gressoney Valley", by emilius"
 
 
 
Forca Vallon: from State Road towards Lillianes, Fontainemore, Issime, Gaby Communes to Scilère Bridge up Lys Torrent and following Trino Village; from this in South, path n° 1, to la Blatta, Tanno, Ronc (1.441m) small Villages. After in West,traces-path n° 1, to Forca (1.837m), Hennicluken (2.000m) Pastures, Frudière Pass (2.271m; since Years 2000, closed for dangerous fallings stones from North Wall of Marienhorn).
 
Weissmatten Vallon: from SS.505 in alternative nearby Valdobbia Hamlet (+; 1.385m), just before Gressoney Saint Jean Commune, crossing through two bridges twice the Lys Torrent, to alternative to Castle Savoia (1.440m; splendid and worthy of visit), Ronca, Wald, Cialfrina, Champsil (1.772m) Pastures; from the alternative, just before this, in Alp 1.758 meters, in West with path n° 2 up to subsequent fork near the arrival of Cablecar from Ronca/Gresmatten. Doubling Southwest, path n° 1a, Weissmatten Summit (2.456m), go up to Frudière Northern Pass, just below Mount Taf (2.523m; alternatively, after the closing on the Gressoney side of the Southern Hill or real of Frudiera, for the reasons stated above).
 
Pra Bianco Vallon: from Cablecar arrival, at the foot of Weissmatten Summit, in Northwest with path n° 1a/3a to a fork under Punta of Regina, near a pond; in West, path n° 3a,
1) - to Garda Hill (2.281m). Descent in Southwest to
2) - la Garda Alp (2.074m) in Graines-Frudière Vallon.
 
 
 
Ranzola Vallon: from State Road, near departure of Ronca Cablecar before Bielciuken/Valdobbia Hamlets, in West-southwest, path n° 3 to
1) - Ranzola Alp (1.991m); from this in West to Ranzola Hill (2.170m), between Punta della Regina (2.388m)/Mount Ciosè Southeastern Summit (2.647m). From pond 2.281 meters in Northwest, path n° 3b, to
2) - hill. Descent in West through path-dirt road to
 
Estoul, Brusson in Ayas Valley. Staller-Ciosé Vallon: from fork immediately before Gressoney St. Jean (1.388m) in South through Municipal Road to fork 1.379 meters (+) near Blatterlé (1.391m); in West, path n° 4, to Roncké (1.878m), Staller Pastures (2.020m) and in Northwest to Grueben Alp (2.280/6m; source). From this to
1) - Bocchetta d'Eclou (2.522m); from pass in North-northeast, same path, to Punta Valnera (2.754m), on easy rocky Southeast Crest. Descent in South, path n° 6A, to
2) - Chamen/Estoul Lochs; in West, path n° 5C/105 to
3) - Arp Refuge. In North to
4) - Valnera Pass, through North Crest.
 
 
 
Saint Jean-Valdònierfòrkò Vallon: from St. Jean-Binò (1.394m) in West, path n° 5/105 along Binòbach Torrent, to Valdònier d'Ondra (1.894m; just before the connection with path n° 4/GSW from Roncké), Valdònier d'Mettuera (2.188m), d'Obra (2.296m), Valnera Pass or Valdònierfòrkò.
 
Onder Perletoa-Freidecoll Vallon: from St. Jean to fork 1.420 meters befor Order Perletoa Village; from this in West, path n° 6/High Route number 1, to Schòcké (1.586m), Zer Balmo, Grossalbezo (1.780m), nearby Alpenzu Refuge. In North to Héerdhuffe (1.992m) and in West-southwest, path n° 5A to
1) - Freide Alp (2.478m), Valfredda Pass or Freidecoll (2.807m), between Shoulder 2.972 meters of Corno Vitello or Chalberhòre and Punta Valfredda or Freidòhòre. From pass, path 5A/5B to
2) - Shoulder and Corno Vitello (+; 3.057m); in West to
3) - Freide Lakes, over Arp Refuge.
 
Pinter Vallon: from Refuge Alpenzù in Northwest, path n° 6/GSW/High Route number 1, to
1)- Onder mònté (1.953m), Loaoche (2.363m; source), Pénte (2.465m; source), Pinter Hill or Péntecoll (2.776m). Descent in West to
2)- Cuneaz Vallon; in Northwest traverse to
 
Sarezza Basin. Pinter-Testa Grigia-Rothorn Basin: from Gressoney la Trinité-Tache (1.630m; parking) in West, path n° 10/10C to
 
1) - fork (2.160m; source); from this in Southwest, path n° 10C, to ex Cozzi Bivouac (2.700m) Mount Pinter or Péntspétz (3.137m), near Lateltin Bivouac (3.113m). From fork in Northwest, path n° 10 below East Face of Testa Grigia, to
2) - Hockene Stei (2.322m), Blach or Piccolo Rothorn (+; 3.035m), great shoulder on East Ridge of Rothorn or Ròthòre (3.152m). From point 2.992 meters in West, through moraine, to
3) - saddle 3.001 meters. Descent to
4) - Sarezza Basin.
 
Grenne Oagre-Netschersch Gòmbò and Battfòrkò Vallon: from Grenne-Oagre (1.872m; signal no transit)in Southwest through dirt road to Sant'Anna Oratory (2.170m; source; even Cablecar from Staffal, 1.843m; parking) to fork 2.175 meters; from this in Northwest, unnumbered path, to Batt (2.222m), Sitte (2.292m). In Southwest, path n° 8A/TMR, to
1) - Salèrebach Torrent; crossing twice the same to Salero Pond (2.627m), Rothorn Pass or Salerfòrkò (2.687m). From alternative 2.181 meters on dirt road-path n° 8 to S. Anna in Northwest through dirt concomitant with path n° 8/9/TMR to
2) - Sitte, Battfòrkò (2.374m) Pastures, two ponds 2.595 meters, Bettaforca Hill or Battfòrkò (2.672m; even Cablecar from Sant'Anna).
 
Grenne-Ròswang-Seewengiène-Bètlinòfòrkò Vallon: from Grenne (1.872m) in Northwest, path n° 1,
1) - to Sécke (2.008m), Ròs Gaveno (2.082m) Pastures, Betlinò Alp (2.385m), along Betlinòbach, point 2.553 meters in Ròswang-Seewengiène zone, point 2.654 meters, pond 2.783 meters, Bettolina Inferiore Pass or Betlinòfòrkò (2.906m). Descent in West to
2) - Résy Lochs, Ferraro/Guide Frachey Refuges. From pass in North, path n° 9, to
3) - Obre Betlinòfòrkò (3058m). Descent in Northwest, path n° 8, to
4) - Plan di Véraz. Or continue on watershed to
5) - Sella Refuge.
 
Staffal-Lys Basin: from TschavalStaffal-Bòrretheus (1.865m) in North, path n° 7, to Weng (1.880m), Courtlys (1.993m) Pastures, fork 2.444 meters, to
1) - Lys Sources, below two Lys Glaciers; in Northeast through a track in moraine to
2) - point 2.560 meters under the glacier, Oriental branch.
 
Staffal-Soalzecoll Vallon: from fork in East-northeast, path n° 7C, to
1) - Salza Inferiore (Lower) or Ustro Soalze Alp (2.324m), Salza Hill or Soalzecoll (2.882m). From this in North to
2) - ex Passera Bivouac, Alta Luce or Hochliecht (+; 3.184m). From this in East paths-connection n° 6B/6A (from Lys Refuge) to altitude 3.122 meters; continue in North, unnumbered path to
3) - Mantova (3.500m) or Gnifetti (3.610m) Refuges, on rocky coastline between Lys/Garstelet Glaciers. Moreover, from hill descent to
4) - Squinobal Refuge (2.621m), between
 
Bloabesee/Indren Vallons. Gaveno-Verde-Bloabesee Vallon: from Tschaval before in North, after in South through Municipal Road to Trollecke (1.958m); from this in East with dirt road to Moos (1.988m) Pastures. In North, path n° 7B to
1) - Jatza (2.069m/2.082m) Pasture; after in East to Monterinsch/(2.458m/Betze, welfsch Gaveno (2.455m), Becksch Gaveno (2.424m) Pastures. Turning progressively in Northwest reach a dirt road (from Lys Refuge-Wisso), three ponds, Verde Loch (2.625m), two ponds 2.706 meters, saddle 2.769 meters, Punta Telcio or Teltschospétz (+; 2.833m). From three ponds continue, North direction, with path n° 6A to altitude about 2.730 meters (in East, unnumbered path, crossing the torrent, to
2) - Squinobal Refuge); in North to
3) - Lake 2.751 meters, fork about 3.000 meters and in West Salza Hill; also from fork in North to
4) - Cross (+; 3.068m), altitude 3.122 meters and from this in West, path n° 6B to Alta Luce. Also in North, through path-traces in moraine under a rocky coastline, to
5) - Mantova/Gnifetti Refuges.
 
Indren Vallon: from Lys Refuge (2.339m; Cablecar from Staffal) in Northeast through dirt road to Ponte Refuge (2.388m) and in North to Wisso (2.540m), fork before Endre Gaveno Alp (2.541m), Refuge Squinobal (2.621m); pathless, sinuously along the torrent to
1) - Indren Lake or Endroseena (2.977m), below Endregletscher. From shelter in North-northeast, through a track, to
2) - Solemberg Mine (2.902; abandoned), Pisse Pass (3.110m).
 
 
 
 
Staffal-Gabiet-Straling Gòmbò-Uomo Storto Basin: from State Road after Gressoney la Trinité (alternative 1.801m between Obrò de Jòlò/Erp Villages; no transit signal) in Southeast through dirt road to Montery, Tschòcke (1.926m), fork 1941 meters (in Northeast continuation to Recka (2.131m), Shéttò, nearby Lys Refuge (2.339m); to this point even by Cablecar from Staffal); continue from fork, always in dirt road-path n° 5A concomitant, before in Southeast to Bédemie (1.910m), Punta Jolanda (2.272m; connection in North-northeast with the shelter). After in Northeast to point 2.212 meters (to this even with path n° 5 from Obre Eselbode/Revec, 1.636m), Piere Gaveno Alp, Gabietsee or Gabiet Loch (2.363m), nearby Gabiet Refuge (2.370m; short connection with neighbor Lys Refuge). From Lake along the affluent in Northeast to
1) - Zube Pass through moraines and unnumbered path (from Lys Shelter) in final part; in East-northeast into Straling Gòmbò to
2) - Saddle 2.938 meters, same route; from saddle in South to Punta Straling, with signed route, easily on North Crest (3.115m). From lake in East through moraines to
3) - Coppa Pass (2.914m); in East-southeast, same route, to
4) - Pioda Pass (2.902m), below Corno Grosso or Groshòre (3.039m). Always from lake in South, path n° 3A, to source 2.342 meters, from this in East, through moraine, to
5) - pond 2.593 meters,small pass 2.895 meters. From source before in South, path n° 3A, to Schkéerpie Gaveno Alp (2.393m); from this in East, pathless, to
6) - pond 2.728 meters, Uomo Storto Pass (2.856m). From alp in South to
7) - cross 2.436 meters, with the path n° 3 from Ondre Eselbode, Gastaldi Bivouac (2.620m), below Nétschò Summit (3.247m) on Nétschò Vallon. Variant
8) - path n° 4 from Ondre (1.635m), near Ruesse (1.879m), Spésse (1.974m), Schwoarzòblatte (2.293m) Pastures to Gabiet Lake.
 
Ondre Eselbode-Nétschò Vallon: from Ondre in East with previous
1) - to Gastaldi Bivouac, between Nétschò/Ciampono (3.235m) Summits.
 
Obrò Biela/Ondrò Biela-Ciampono/Rissuolo Western Vallon: from State Road alternative after Balmeto Village (1.533m) in East through a short Municipal Road to Ondrò Village (1.541m); from this in Northeast, path n° 8; to Lecko (1.907m), Tsachampònò (2.015m), Obrò (3.137m; source 2.159m), Pastures, Alp 2.309 meters and, through traces in terminal, part to Rissuolo Pass (2.930m), between Ciampono/Rissuolo (3.102m) Summits.
 
 
 
Onder Perletoa-Alpetto Vallon: from State near Onder Perletoa Hamlet (+; 1.421m) through Municipal to Lòubonò (1.476m); in East, path n° 9, to Gruebe, Ondrò Ebielò (1.898m), Tené Gavene (2.182m), Obrò Ebielò (2.209m), Schenébiel (2.316m) Pastures. In Northeast, path n° 9, to
1) - source 2.376 meters, points 2.512, 2.593 meters, Alpetto Pass (2.768m), below Rissuolo Crest; in East-southeast, path n° 9A, to
2) - sources 2.387, 2.503 meters, pond under Valdobbiola Hill (2.638m). In North to
3) - Cresta Rossa or Rotegroad (2.986m); in South to
4) - Corno Valdobbia (2.761m).
 
Ondrò Verdebiò-Chrache-Spissiòcoll Vallon: from State nearby Ondrò Verdebiò (1.391m) in Northeast, path n° 11, to fork 1.570 meters; continue, same direction path n° 11/105, to
1) - Ondrò Tschalvrétzò (+; 1.904m), Tschalvrétzò (1.897m), Obrò Tschalvrétzò (2.030m), Valdobbia Hill or Spissiòcoll (2.489m), near Refuge-Hospice Sottile. In Northeasth, on ridge, to
2) - Corno Valdobbia; in Southeast to
3) - Punta Plaida (2.656m).
 
Ondrò Verdebiò-Principi Valley-Corno Rosso Vallon: from Verdebiò, preceding fork (1.570m), before in Southeast, path n° 11B, to Ronké Pasture (1.594m), near Hòbéerg Torrent, after from cross 1.844 meters in Northeast to Pòtzie (1.877m; source), Ondrò Schkéerpie (2.035m) Pastures, unnamed Alp (2.070m), near two ponds, Obrò Schkéerpie (2.169m), near a small lake, Brònne Alp (2.245m), below Ròthòre/Hòre, in Principi Valley.
 
Loamatten-Loo Vallon: from State near Soagò/Steina (1.311m) through short Municipal Road to Lommattò/Lysò Fractions (+; 1.358m; source); from this in Southeast, path /n° 12GSW/High Route number 1, to Jatzie Pasture; crossing on Lòò Torrent to Berché Pasture. From this in Northeast, along torrent and in Nidelstei-Spettal Gover area, to
1) - Onde Lòò tiny Village (1.860m), Ondrò/Obrò Bodma (1.884m, 1.910m; sources), Lòò Superior (+; 2.084m), fork around 2.230 meters under Mount Kick (2.315m), Lòò Hill (2452m). From fork in North, path n° 12c to
2) - Maccagno Pass (2495m); in South, path n° 21a/VA, to
3)- Lazoney Hill (2.395m), between Punta Pianeritz (2.540m)/Punta Tre Vescovi (2.501m), above A. Rivelli Refuge.
 
Gaby-Niel Comba: from Gaby Commune (1.040m) in East through Municipal Road to Chanton (+; 1.444m), Niel (1.535m), Gruba (1.550m) Villages; from Niel in North, path n° 6a, to
1) - Leka (1.672m), Bondel (2.176m),Ruk (2.147m) Alpages, Punta Pianeritz (2.540m), through South Slope (not recommended). From Gruba in Nort-northheast, path n° 6, to
2) - Sctvòla (1.757m), Giazet (1.972m), Bodo (2.215m) Pastures, Lazoney Hill (2.395m); from Sctvòla in East-northeast, path n° 6b, to
3) - Piccolo Loozoney, Grétie (2.207m) Alps, Crétier Pond (2.221m), Niel Bocchetta (2.430m). In Southeast, path VA/gta (Great Traverse of Alps), to
4) - Punta Tre Vescovi (2.501m) and traverse to
5) - Mologna Grande Pass (2.364m), near A. Rivelli (2.150m), below Monte i Gemelli (2.473m). From Gruba in Southeast to
6) - Picchere, fork 1.800 meters around, Mologna Piccola Hill (2.205m), between Monte i Gemelli/Punta Serange (2.334m); from fork in South, path n° 6d, to
7) - la Piana (1.829m), Turia (1.878m) Alps, Grovera Pass (2.210m), between Punta Serange/Punta Chaparelle (2.409m). From all these hills descent to
8) - Gronda, Sorba, Cervo Walloons in Piedmont.
 
Zendelabaz-della Vecchia Vallon: from Zendelabaz Village (1.019m), on State Road before Gaby, in East, path n° 9/VA, to
1) - Lamponey (1.341m), Beccaz (1.525m), Nost (1.706m), Fontane (1.874m) Alps, Vecchia Hill (2.187m), between Punta Chaparelle/Punta della Vecchia (2.387m). From hill descent in East-southeast, path n° E5, to
2) - Vecchia Refuge (1.872m), Vecchia Loch (1.858m), Piedicavallo (1.037m) on Cervo Valley.
 
Issime-Tourrison-del Lupo Vallon: from the alternative (+; about 850 meters) just before Issime (930m) in Southeast through Municipal Road to nearby Bioley Village (+; 1.118m); from this in Northeast, path n° 3, to
1) - Lion, la Torretta (+; 1.353m), Tourrison (1.638m) Credemy (1.768m), Piccolo Lago (1.935m) Alpages, Pond 2.098 meters; from small lake in Northeast, with traces, to
2) - Crest Alp (2.253m), Lupo (Wolf) Pass (2.340m), between Monte Cresto (2.546m)/Monte Pietra Bianca (2.490m). Descent to Giaspret Pond (2.136m) in Cervo Valley. In South, path n° 3a, to
3) - Marmontana Pass (2.407m), under Monte Pietra Bianca; descent in Southeast to
4) - Pietra Bianca Alp (2.190m), Torretta Lake (2.146m).
 
Fontainemore-Espaz-Pietra Bianca-Mont Mars Reserve Vallon: from Fontainemore (760m) in East through Municipal Road to
1) - Espaz, Pervero (895m); from this in North, path n° 3a, to
2) - Racoulla Pian, Farettaz, Bonin/Asere and in East-northeast to Vernetta (1.606m), Breuil (2.122m), Touche (2.068m), Pietra Bianca di Mezzo and Alta (2.190m), Marmontana Hill. From Pervero in South to
3) - Chuchal (1.212m), Clapasson, Pillaz, Cloz (1.356m) Pastures; from this through farms dirt road-path n° 2 to fork 1.435 meters, Tronc Alps. In Northeast, path n° 3a, to
4) - Cleva Bella, Sapel, Pietra Bianca Rion (2.032m) and in North Torretta Lake, Pietra Bianca Alta, Marmontana Hill; from Cleva Bella in Southeast through dirt road to
5) - hairpin band amongst Matta/Vargno/Vargnit Alpages, nearby Vargno Lake (1.670m). From Matta in East, path n° 2a, to
6) - Grangeas/Met Ros (1.895m), Rosaras Alps, Gragliasca Hill (2.213m); from Vargno/Vargnit in Southeast to
7) - Lei Long, Balma, nearby homonym four Lakes (2.022m), Bar(l)ma also Oropa Hill (2.261m), between Punta LeiLong (2.236m) / Monte Rosso in Monte Mars Nature Reserve.
 
 
 
 
 
Traverse in Northeast to
8) - Renata Hut (2.360m); descent in East to
9) - Rosazza (1.813m) and to nearby Savoia Shelters, above Oropa Sanctuary (+; 1.100m; famous Madonna Procession from Gressoney Valley, in . Even Cablecar with alternatives from Oropa to three Refuges), on Pollone-Oropa Valley, in Piedmont. From lakes in South, path n° 2c and traces, to
10) - Chardon Pass (2.221m), between Monte Rosso (2.374m)/Monte Mars (2.615m). From Pillaz in East through Municipal to Granges (1.395m), Goy, Pian Courmarial and with dirt road to Bosco, Vercosa (1.600m), Crotal (1.684m), Leretta (1.784m), Goillas (1.817m) Alpages, nearby Goillas two Ponds (1.861m); from this in North, path-traces, to
11) - Bonnel (1.796m), Long, Balma Lochs. From Fontainemore-Espaz in East, path n° 3, to
12) - Chucal, Thea (1.212m), Sas, Bosco, Ramere, Rovinas, Serafredda (1.797m), Montagnet Ponds, D. and A. Coda Refuge (2.280m), between Punta della Sella (2.315m)/Cerisey Hill. From Serafredda in South, same path n° 3, to
13) - Carisey di Sotto, Alp (1.934m) and Hill (2.132m); in West, path n° 1, to
14) - Portola Hill, below Mount Portola (1.988m). From Carisey Hill descent to
15) - Bocchetta del Lago, Mucrone Loch (1.902m) amongst Monte Mars/Monte Rosso/Monte Mucrone, Savoia and Rosazza Shelters.
 
Lillianes-Giassit-Bechit Vallon: from the alternateve immediately before Lillianes Commune (667m) in East through Municipal Road to Chessun, Balmetta, Curtes, Costey (1.056m), S. Margherita, Verman Villages; from this in East, path n° 1, to
1) - Portola Hill. From S. Margherita in Southeast, path n° 2, to
2) - Pianas, l'Arpet (1.623m), lo Stret (1.724m), Giassit (1.817m) Alpages, Giassit Hill (2.026m); from this with short traverse in East to
3) - Lace Hill (2.121m). Descent in Northeast, path n° C2, to
4) - Elvo Walloon in Piedmont. From S. Margherita in South, path n° 1, to
5) - G. Revers, Pian de Rousa, Bora del Lupo, Stoba, Verony (1.555m), Casale, Troncona (1.814m) and in East Punta Cressa (2.061m); in West Bec di Nona.
 
Pont Saint Martin-Ciarma-Monte dell'Orso Comba: from State Road of Gressoney Valley, fork near Remondin Village (620m) in Southeast through Municipal Road to Mignot, Cavalle, Pian Mattet, Ververt (1.282m), Pourci Pastures; from this, with path, to
1) - Tiombe (1.859m), la Ciarma (1.881m) Alps, la Ciarma Hill (1.934m), between Bec di Nona (2.085m)/Monte Parassone (1.799m). Possibilities of easy ascent to
2) - the both; from hill descent in South, path n° D3/gta, to
3) - Boses, Maschiero, Chiavanesso, Maletto Alps, Carema Commune (379m), immediately in Piedmont.
 
Pont Saint Martin-Carema (Piedmont) - Tre Vescovi-Mombarone Vallon: from Carema Municipality in Northeast through Municipal Road to Ronca, Gorgiasso, Core, Maletto Alps; from this in Northeast, path n°? gta to
1) - Balmetta, Truchetto, Alpette (1.689m), Sapelle della Brenga (1.758m), Alpe, Druer, Bechera (2.004m), Lace Hill. From Druer (1.765m) to
2) - i Test (2.039m) Alps, la Bocchetta Hill (2.186m), between Colma di Mombarone (+; Refuge Mombarone 2.300m)/Monte Cavalgrosso (2.227m).
3) - variant: from Maletto to Quartiere, Garilla, Mombarone, i Test Alps.
 

A Special Note on Watershed with Piedmont

climbing on the ridge of...
Mont Mars
Mont Mars
W face of Mount Mars in winter
climbing on the ridge of...
A special note to the long divider between the Aosta Valley and Piedmont, in its three Provinces of Novara, Biella and Turin, which, from the extreme offshoots and Southern Chain Monte Rosa, down to the South to separate these two important areas of the Alps. From Indren Summit (3.257m), just South of the two glacial pyramids Pyramid Vincent and Punta Giordani and between the Endregletscher and the Bars Glaciers, the crest of the border becomes less arduous and certainly more "dry" not presenting the largest expanses glacial. After Stolemberg Top (3.202m) reaches the Salati Hill (2.931m) and the Corno del Camoscio (Horn of Chamois; 3.026m), between the Walloons Gabiet with its large man-made lake and Olen, which descends the Col d'Olen (2.881m), both of these hills leading to Alagna Resort (1.186m). From here the ridge rises again to form a series of peaks and passes that always quote this direction by highlighting the most important: Corno Rosso (Red Horn), Zube Pass (2.871m) and Summit (3.018m), Punta Straling (3.115m), Coppa Pass, Corno Grande or Groshòre (Big Horn), Pioda Pass (2.902m), Passo dell'Uomo Storto (Crooked Man Pass) and Point (3.014m), Summit of Netscio or Nétscho(3.280m). Immediately to the Southwest of this rises the Corno Bianco (White Horn; 3320m), the highest peak and most important of this group, but is now completely in the Piedmont between Rissuolo/Forno/Otro Valleys. Besides the partition continues with sinuous to: Summit of Ciampono or Tschampònòhòre (3.233m), Rissuolo Pass (2.930m), Crest of Rissuolo, Alpetto Pass, Cresta Rossa (Red Crest), Valdobbiola Pass (2.638m), Horn of Valdobbia (2.755m) and following Hill (2.487m), Punta Plaida, Corno Rosso (Red Horn) or Point of Carestia (2.979m), in the part of the ridge above the two Municipalities of Gressoney-la-Trinite (1.624m) and Gressoney-St-Jean (1.385m). From this point the watershed is directed more towards the Southeast, also becoming less important and certainly highless. Going down to the "Lower Valley" passes progressively over the Municipalities of Gaby (1.040m), Issime (953m), Fontainemore (760m), Lillianes (667m) to finally reach the Pont Saint Martin (345m) Commune, its the entrance to the Valley of Aosta with its Highway n° 7 which comes from the Town of Ivrea.
Straling and Corno Bianco
Punta di Netscio
Punta di Netscio
Punta di Netscio
Passo della Pioda
 
This is an area that has prerogatives more natural and certainly offers more many Hiking trails rather than Climbing. Less known, if not by the locals, because not yet included in the Series "Guide of the Mountains of Italy" C.A.I./T.C.I., indeed it is the last area which is lacking to cover the entire territory of Aosta Valley. The Guide of the "Monte Rosa", by Gino Buscaini , 1991, stop at Maccagno Pass (2.495m), immediately after the Corno or Corni del Pallone (of Ball; 2.874m)), Passo del Camino or Casera New or again said Viaréccio Pass and Punta del Cornaccio (Top of the ugly and big Horn). In the same Series the previous Guidebook "Monte Rosa", by Silvio Saglio and Felice Boffa, 1960, also described the stretch to the Loo Hill (2.452m), Mount Cossarello trail (2.710m) and Punta Loozoney, so far beyond the Pass of Maccagno. This important hill connects Mettien/Loamatten (1.347m/1.342m) through the Loo Vallon with Riva Valdobbia (1.112m) in the Vogna Valley; also allows other beautiful hiking combinations with the Sesia Valley and other items through path GTA to the Valley Cervo (Deer). Continuing the listing are still, after Lakes Zuckie, Crètie and Piedmont of the Three Bishops, the Niel Bocchetta (small carving), Punta Tre Vescovi (2.501m), the Col Mologna Grande (2.150m), at the Refuge A. Rivetti, hence the ridge forms a large bow facing West and emphasizes Monte i Gemelli (the Gemini), Little Mologna Pass (2.205m), Punta Serange, Grovera Pass (2.210m), Punta Chaparelle, Colle della Vecchia (2.187m) and Summit, Mount Cresto (2.546m), Colle del Lupo (2.340m), Mount Pietra Bianca (White Stone), Hill of Marmontana (2.407m), Punta Gragliasca , Gragliasca Hill (2.213m), Punta Gran Gabe, Punta Lei Long, Punta della Barma Oropa and Hill (2.261m) with its famous crossing-Procession to the Sanctuary of the same name, Monte Rosso (Red Mountain; 2.374m and Chardon Pass 2.221m). In addition, after being raised in Mount Mars (2.615m) with its important Natural Reserve, the dividing crest declines more in the Southwest towards the Punta della Sella (Top of Saddle), Casirey Hill (2.132m) nearby D.&A. Coda Shelter (2.280m), Mount Bechit, Mount Roux (2.318m). From this branch down to the Piedmont in the direction of the Municipalities of Nomaglio, Andrate and Donato, forming, after the Lace Hill and yet another second call Punta Tre Vescovi (2.347m), the best known of Colma Mombarone (2.300m; Cross of Christ the Redeemer on Summit) with the neighbor namesake Refuge. This appendix, as mentioned, is no longer located in the territory of the Aosta Valley but to the City of Ivrea in the Canavese. From Mont Roux watershed instead descends towards the Southwest and Pont Saint Martin little Town, forming yet Punta Cressa, Bec di Nona, Ciarma Hill (1.934m), Mount Parassone and Mount dell'Orso (Bear Mountain; 1.302m) to decline permanently above the localities of Pont, Ivery and Carema. As we see and confirmation of the foregoing, it is an area where the hills are more important and not the mountains where they show high average shares in relation to the same. "Volens aut nolens" throughout this long chain is "daughter, or stepdaughter" His Majesty the Monut Rosa, which constitutes the furthest reaches Southern. Clearly all this rather long divider sets, starting from every upper hills, tops or collars, a series of small valleys, more or less parallel, down towards the Gressoney Valley with the main trend East/West, but each of these often propose to her time, small vallons and secondary side, as on the opposite side or the Piedmont, which, however, goes beyond this study, already challenging enough and bulky. Let's analyze the facts, without claiming to visit all of them.
Lyskamm, Castor and Pollux
Bivacco Lateltin and...
Il Corno Bianco (3320 m)
Mont Mars
Mont Blanc chain and Gran Combin from Mombarone (60 miles away)
 
Un particolar cenno merita quel lungo divisorio tra Val d'Aosta e Piemonte, nelle tre Province di Novara, Biella e Torino, che, dalle propaggini estreme e Meridionali della Catena del Rosa, discende verso Mezzogiorno a separare queste due importanti aree. Da Punta Indren (3.257 m), subito a Sud delle due piramidi glaciali della Vincent e Giordani e tra l'Endregletscher ed il Ghiacciaio di Bars, la cresta di confine diventa meno impervia e sicuramente più "secca" non presentando più grandi distese glaciali. Dopo lo Stolemberg (3.202 m) raggiunge il Passo dei Salati (2.931 m) ed il Corno del Camoscio (3.026 m), tra i Valloni del Gabiet con il grande lago artificiale e d'Olen, ove cala al Col d'Olen (2.881 m); entrambi questi colli adducono ad Alagna Valsesia (1.186 m). Da qui la cresta si rialza a formare una serie di punte e valichi che citiamo sempre con questa direzione evidenziandone i più importanti: Corno Rosso, Passo Zube (2.871 m) e Punta (3.018m), Punta Straling (3.115 m), Passo di Coppa, Corno Grosso, Passo della Pioda (2.902 m), Passo dell'Uomo Storto e Punta (3.014 m), Punta di Netscio o Netschò (3.280 m). Subito a Sudovest di questa si eleva il Corno Bianco (3.320 m), cima più elevata ed importante di questo Gruppo, ma ormai completamente in Piemonte tra le Valli di Rissuolo/Forno/Otro. Oltre il divisorio continua con andamento sinuoso verso: Punta di Ciampono (3.233 m), Passo di Rissuolo (2.930 m), Cresta di Rissuolo, Passo di Alpetto, Cresta Rossa, Passo di Valdobbiola (2.638 m), Corno di Valdobbia (2.755 m) e successivo Colle (2.489 m), Punta Plaida e Corno Rosso o Punta della Carestia (2.979 m), nel tratto di cresta soprastante i due Comuni di Gressoney-la-Trinité (1.624 m) e Gressoney-St-Jean (1.385 m). Da questo punto lo spartiacque si dirige maggiormente verso Sudest, diventando anche meno importante e certamente meno elevato. Proseguendo verso la "Bassa Valle" passa progressivamente al di sopra dei Comuni di Gaby (1.040 m), Issime (953 m), Fontainemore (760 m), Lillianes (667 m) per raggiungere infine Pont Saint Martin (345 m), all'ingresso della Valle di Aosta con l'Autostrada n° 7 dalla Città di Ivrea.
toward Gressoney valley
Come back from Refuge Coda
Gressoney Valley
rifugio Coda
toward Gressoney valley -...
 

Trattasi di un'area possedente prerogative più naturalistiche e che sicuramente propone maggiormente itinerari Escursionistici che non Alpinistici. Meno conosciuta, se non dagli abitanti del luogo, anche perché ancora non compresa nella Collana "Guida dei Monti d'Italia" del C.A.I./T.C.I., anzi risulta l'ultimo settore mancante onde ricoprire l'intero territorio della Valle d'Aosta. La Guida del "Monte Rosa", ad opera di Gino Buscaini, 1991, si ferma al Passo del Maccagno 2.495 m), subito dopo il Corno o Corni del Pallone (2.874 m), il Passo del Camino o di Casera Nuova od, inoltre detto, di Viaréccio e della Punta del Cornaccio. Sempre nella stessa collana la Guida precedente "Monte Rosa", di Silvio Saglio e Felice Boffa, 1960, descriveva anche il tratto fino al Colle di Loo (2.452 m), tra il Monte Cossarello (2.710 m) e la Punta Loozoney, quindi non molto più in là del Passo del Maccagno (2.495 m). Questo importante colle si collega da Mettien/Loamatten (1.347 m/1.342 m) per il Vallone di Loo con Riva Valdobbia (1.112 m) nella Valle Vogna; inoltre consente altre belle combinazioni escursionistiche con la Valsesia e con altri colli, tramite il sentiero GTA, verso la Valle Cervo. Continuando nell'elencazione troviamo ancora, dopo i Laghi di Zuckie, Crètie ed in Piemonte dei Tre Vescovi, la Bocchetta di Niel, la Punta Tre Vescovi (2.501 m), il Colle della Mologna Grande (2.150 m), presso il Rifugio A. Rivetti; da qui la cresta forma un grande arco rivolto ad Ovest ed evidenzia: Monte i Gemelli, Colle della Mologna Piccola/2.205 m), Punta Serange, Col Grovera (2.210 m), Punta Chaparelle, Colle della Vecchia (2.187 m) e viciniora Punta, Monte Cresto (2.546 m), Colle del Lupo (2.340 m), Monte Pietra Bianca, Colle di Marmontana (2.407 m), Punta della Gragliasca, Colle Gragliasca (2.213 m), Punta Gran Gabe, Punta Lei Long, Punta della Barma di Oropa e Colle (2.261 m) con la sua famosa traversata-Processione verso l'omonimo Santuario, Monte Rosso (2.374 m) e Colle Chardon (2.221 m). Oltre, dopo essersi rialzata nel Mont Mars (2.615 m) con la sua importante Riserva Naturale, la cresta divisoria declina più a Sudovest verso la Punta della Sella, Colle di Casirey (2.132 m) nelle vicinanze del Rifugio D. e A. Coda (2.280 m), Mont Bechit, Mont Roux (2.318 m). Da questo un ramo scende verso il Piemonte in direzione dei Comuni di Nomaglio, Andrate e Donato, formando, dopo il Colle della Lace ed un'altra Punta Tre Vescovi (2.347 m), la più conosciuta Colma di Mombarone (2.300 m; Croce del Cristo Redentore) con appresso l'omonimo Rifugio. Questa appendice, come detto, non si trova più nel territorio della Valle di Aosta ma verso la Città di Ivrea nel Canavese. Dal Mont Roux lo spartiacque invece continua verso Sudovest e Pont Saint Martin, formando ancora Punta Cressa, Bec di Nona, Colle della Ciarma (1.934 m), Monte Parassone e Monte dell'Orso (1.302 m) per declinare definitivamente sopra gli abitati di Pont, Ivery e Carema. Come vediamo ed a conferma di quanto precedentemente detto, risulta un'area dove son più importanti i colli che non i monti e dove si evidenziano quote mediamente più elevate in rapporto ai medesimi. "Volens aut nolens" tutta questa lunga catena é "figlia, o figliastra", di Sua Maestà il Monte Rosa, del quale ne costituisce le estreme propaggini Meridionali. Chiaramente tutto questo alquanto lungo divisorio espone, partendo da ogni colle, sommità o colletto superiore, tutta una serie di valloni che, più o meno paralleli, discendon verso la Valle di Gressoney con andamento principale Est/Ovest; ma ognun di questi spesso ripropone, a sua volta, dei valloncelli laterali e secondari, come sul versante opposto o piemontese, tale però da esulare da questo studio, già abbastanza impegnativo e voluminoso. Vediamo di analizzarne i principali, senza aver la pretesa di visitarli proprio tutti.


Mountain Conditions

  • You can get meteo information at the official site of the Regione Valle d'Aosta:
  • Valle d'Aosta Meteo

Books and Maps

BOOKS:

  • "Guida delle Alpi Occidentali" di Giovanni Bobba e Luigi Vaccarone C.A.I. Sezione di Torino Volume II (parte II), 25 Maggio 1896.
  • "A piedi in Valle d'Aosta" (Vol. 2), di Stefano Ardito, Ed. Guide iter, Giugno 2004.
  • "Guida dei Monti d'Italia" Monte Rosa di Gino Buscaini - Club Alpino Italiano/Turing Club Italiano, Maggio 2002 (In Italian).

MAPS:

  • Meridiani Montagne "Monte Rosa" Carta 1.50.000 con carta di dettaglio 1.20.000.
  • L'Escursionista "Val d'Ayas Val di Gressoney Monte Rosa" Carta dei sentieri (n° 8) 1:25.000.
  • Studio F.M.B. "Cervino Monte Rosa" Bologna 1:50.000.
  • I.G.C. Istituto Geografico Centrale Torino "Monte Rosa Alagna e Macugnaga" (n° 10), 1:50.000.
  • Kompass "Breuil/Cervinia-Zermatt" Carta turistica 1:50.000.
  • I.G.C. Istituto Geografico Centrale Torino "Cervino e Monte Rosa" 1:50.000.

Important Information

Useful numbers

  • Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto n° 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
  • Bollettino Meteo (weather info) Tel. 0165-44113.
  • Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.