B-3

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Technical rock climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This climb is located on the W face of Trashcan Rock, the large formation at the Quail Springs picnic area. To get to the Quail Springs picnic area:

a) From the western entrance to Joshua Tree National Park: drive 2.6 (?) miles (a sign marking the turn is obvious). Take a R.

b) from the turnout to the Hidden Valley campground: go 3 miles towards Joshua Tree (the town). Take a L.

Go past the first set of parking spots around the curve to those by the outhouse. Park here. This is the W face of Trashcan Rock.

Route Description


This is an easy, enjoyable rock climb. Just go up the crack pictured! Footholds, handholds, & jams are plentiful. Once at the top of Trashcan Rock, a walkoff/4th class downclimb will get you down the formation.

Essential Gear


Pro': medium to 3". Large cams and hexes (yes, hexes) would work beautifully here. Bring some single & double runners (& necessary 'biners) if hexes are used so rope drag doesn't pull them out. Some long runners/cordelettes would probably be be good for setting up a natural anchor at conclusion of climb (see guy in photo).

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.