Baita Malgonera

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.32450°N / 11.91590°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the main page for the getting there info Col di Pra / Valle di San Lucano.

Route Description



Overlooking the Pale di San Lucano Group. The ascent route climbs out the deep Valle di San Lucano to Forca di Caòz (here in front of Monte Caòz


  • General data
      - Start altitude: 843m
      - Summit altitude: 2293m
      - Prevailing exposition: north
      - Type: 5h on trails, trailless near the summit
      - Protection: unprotected
  • Effort: 1400m gain in elevation!!
  • Power: 2 - strenuous
  • Psyche: 1 - Moderate exposure during the final ascent

    The climb starts at the village of Col di Pra at the end of Valle di San Lucano. First you can follow a forest road which zigzags the slopes of Colle di San Lucano. A hiking path (no. 761) cuts short the hairpins so you might want to take it instead. After about an hour you reach a bridge accross the Bordina River. Here take the right turn across the river. The trail now is a headstone paved mulatteria which follows Valle di Malgonera.

    After some more 20min, at the next intersection, take the left trail (no. 762) which leads up to Ricovero Baita Malgonera, a cabin which can be used in case of bad weather. From the Baita follow Trail 762 further upwards. You'll leave the timberline behind and shortly before you reach Forca di Caoz you'll traverse the grounds around Casera al Dòff.

    From the pass head left along trail 759 (direction Cima Pape) which you have to leave a couple of meters afterwards (if you miss that spot, after another 10min there will be a trail leading to the slightly higher Cima dei Vanediei (2380m)). Here the south ridge of Cima Caòz starts. There is no real trail but the route is self-explanatory. Just follow the ridge, mostly on its eastern side but sometimes right on top. You also can follow the ridge further than the summit which will lead you to Cima dei Vanediei (very steep scramble up the summit block) and Lastei di Pape. The map (Tabacco 022) claims that there is a trail even to Cima Pape along the ridge but than can be only the southern summit at (2478m). The traverse accross the middle summit (2500m) towards the northern one (2502m) looks quite precarious.

    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear is sufficient.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.