Balcón de Pineta Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Jul 3, 2003 7:00 am - Voted 10/10

Route Comment

This route is very long and generally it needs to plan the strategy and to choose the place to sleep (5h 30 min to Balcón de Pineta and 3 h more up to Monte Perdido) For example, can take the tent and encamp in the Balcón de Pineta climbing Monte Perdido on the following day or to climb Monte Perdido and sleep after make the summit (to descend up to the Parking or the mountain hut of Góriz to sleep in only one day is very hard: more than 14 hours of trek!! This is not accessible for the majority of the people).

wschueller

wschueller - Aug 10, 2014 7:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

July 2014. ***Not summited***

Indeed this would be a very long day with the risk of thunderstorms in the afternoon. However it can be done with an early start, a light pack and under good conditions. Some observations:

The ascent to the Pineta is beautiful, surrounded by one water fall after the other. Very steep but overall good trail with plenty of opportunities to refill water. This hike on its own is worth the effort.

Watch out for early, unmarked offshoots (to the left) from the road in the valley prior to the start of the actual marked trail up the Balcon. These other trails will head to the water falls and will cause a great deal of confusion and grievances if you are heading for Perdido.

The different routes up the head wall from the Pineta to the saddle were wet, icy and snow covered in July 2014, and possibly called for protection ... did not attempt.

An overnight at the Pineta plateau is doable (and I understand permissible) although running water might be limited in early season. And the very steep ascend up the trail with a heavy pack should be considered.

Best deal for nearby lodging options with good selection of food would be the town of Bielsa, some 15 min drive away from the end of the valley. There is a private camp ground half way to the end of the road that offers showers (and tent camping) at reasonable prices.

eza

eza - Sep 24, 2014 12:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Route Comment

Thanks for your comments, wschueller. Regarding the possibility to sleep at the Pineta plateau, it is feasible but you MUST comply with the National Park regulations (
http://www.summitpost.org/monte-perdido/150948)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Balcón de Pineta' main page