Bald Mountain Comments

TyeDyeTwinsSharp Mountain?

TyeDyeTwins

Good stuff, lots of info and great pictures. I read your comment on the claim notice at the summit. Is this peak still accessible? Or is it yet another RIP Peak of the Oquirrhs. Happy Trails out there.
Posted Feb 1, 2010 8:43 pm

vanman798Re: Sharp Mountain?

vanman798

I think it is still accessible. We skied it last winter and it seemed open to the public. I think that claim is just a mining thing.

Have fun!
Posted Feb 4, 2010 1:49 pm

ericwillhiteBald Mountain

ericwillhite

This page shouldn't be called Sharp Mountain. USGS maps show it as Bald Mountain. Sharp is the bump north of East Bald. Even the Google Map used on the page shows it as East Bald Mountain. And, most important, the benchmark on the summit says Bald.
Posted May 8, 2010 10:13 pm

vanman798Re: Bald Mountain

vanman798

Interesting. I got the name of it from Tyson Bradley's Back Country Skiing Utah book. See http://books.google.com/books?id=6rS0fvtaTOEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=tyson+bradley&cd=1#v=onepage&q=sharp%20mountain&f=false and go to page 156.
Posted May 11, 2010 5:51 pm

vanman798Re: Bald Mountain

vanman798

Makes me wonder if this was recently renamed (since obviously I wouldn't have posted a google map on the Sharp Mountain page with the peak labeled as Bald Mountain East)? I agree on the topo maps it is now labeled "Bald Mountain East". Yep, Sharp Mountain seems to be the 9960 subpeak which I refered to as the North Peak of the Twin peaked Sharp mountain.
Posted May 11, 2010 5:59 pm

vanman798Re: Bald Mountain

vanman798

I'm convinced this was renamed on the maps, as above my note on the Maps section of the page I said "Go west up Serviceberry Canyon (left of its label on the map) to reach Sharp Mountain." That is no longer labeled on the map.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Posted May 11, 2010 6:34 pm

ericwillhiteRe: Bald Mountain

ericwillhite

Looks great, thanks for changing it. Just wish it wasn't another "Bald Mountain"....I liked the name Sharp better.
Posted May 16, 2010 1:21 am

vanman798Re: Bald Mountain

vanman798

I agree, Sharp is/was a better name, but thanks for pointing this out.
Posted May 17, 2010 3:41 pm