Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.15986°N / 73.66531°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 3060 ft / 933 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bald Peak is a bare rock summit that is part of a ridge with many viewpoints along the way. The peak is 3060 ft (933 m) high and so is not part of the top 46 peaks in the Adirondacks. Nevertheless, it is a great day-hiking destination.

The trail to Bald Peak is a route that ascends from the east and is often taken to reach Rocky Peak Ridge follwed by Giant Mountain. Being part of an open ridge, it is a very rewarding hike that offers many exposed areas with great views along the way. The trail is open in spring, summer and fall in part because of the dry rocky surfaces. But it is especially beautiful in the fall due to the proximity of underlying valleys with fantastic fall foliage (if you are lucky enough to get a sunny day). In many ways, the trail is relatively unknown and among the best in the Adirondacks.

The trail starts at a relatively low elevation (650 ft) and climbs to Bald Peak at 3060 feet for a total gain of 2400 feet. It can be a difficult hike with young kids because of the total distance and its many up/down sections. The trail to the summit is about 3.9 miles in length (7.72 miles roundtrip). Once on top, the summit offers 360 degree views. Whiteface mountain is visible to the north and lake Champlain to the east. On very clear days, Vermont/Mansfield can be seen.

Getting There

The trail begins at a parking lot on Rt. 9, about 4.9 miles North of the junction with Rt. 73 and 1.3 miles from the New Russia post office.

Red Tape

Normal Adirondack rules apply.

This peak is not in the High peaks area so a day permit is not required to climb it.

External Links

Guide to Adirondack Trails: High Peak Region