Baltoro Clean Up Expedition 2008

Baltoro Clean Up Expedition 2008

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 35.00000°N / 75.00000°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 30, 2008
Activities Activities: Mixed
Seasons Season: Fall

Baltoro Clean up Expedition 2008

Over 70 kilometer long Baltoro glacier is the jewel of Karakoram situated about 120KM Northeast of Skardu is the longest glacier outside of the polar regions.During more then seven days trek on river of ice passes you can see four peaks rising above 8000 metres including K2, Broad Peak, Gasherbrums and many other high and challenging peaks. The area is frequented by large number of mountaineers and trekkers each year and during the year 2008 over 95 mountaineering expeditions and about 5000 trekkers have visited the Baltoro glacier. Every year mountaineering expeditions and trekking parties accompanied by large number of local porters on the Baltoro glacier creating a large amount of pollution.
Visitors to the area are reporting increased deposits of garbage and
human body waste lying on these glacier camps, which besides seriously damaging the local ecology, are becoming a hazard to the visitors health.
Due to this urgency Alpine Club of Pakistan launch a Baltoro Clean Up Expedition 2008 to Baltoro glacier in collaboration with K2-CNR, Italy. During this cleanup operation members Alpine Club of Pakistan deployed a large numbers of local porters collected all burnable and non burnable garbage to include packing tins, cartons, polythene bags, food stuff etc and carry it out of the area for its correct disposal below Askole – the last village enrout to Baltoro glacier. From Askole the Garbage was moved on jeeps to Skardu and finally handed over to Skardu Muncipal Authority

Request to Mountaineers and Trekkers

Now the season of Mountaineering and Trekking is very near,
It is requested to all mountaineers and trekkers that leave the area clean as they find it. This should not be left until the last minute. Waste processing is encouraged right from the start. Digging latrine pits is a common practice but appropriate location needs to be allocated away from the main camping site and running streams. Paper should be burnt, while plastic, tins, metal, glass and bags should be retrieved as they do not degrade. Lack of sanitation can result in spread of dangerous diseases. Also care should be taken not to dispose any waste in crevasses and river water. Carrying lime to sprinkle in the pit can surely dampen the stench. Human body waste can take a very long time to decompose and any bio-waste if frozen can take centuries to decompose. All members are encouraged to complete the burning process till evening before their next day journey.
The practice of burning plastics is still being followed on the camp sites. This causes toxic chemicals to be emitted into the air. These toxic chemicals remain in the air and destroy the ozone layer. There is no natural known process that can effectively remove the toxic chemicals from air which remain their causing further damage. We encourage the campers that they should instruct their porters to remove the plastics instead of burning them and dispose them off properly.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Mar 8, 2009 9:46 am - Voted 10/10

Yea

I guess since I only go to 10-14K peaks that are less traveled, its natural for me and my peeps that we carry it out (leave no trace). It would make sense that no everybody would do that and considering the trafic on those routes it's a wonder it doesnt look worse. Nicely done Karrar

Cheers,

Steve

Karrar Haidri

Karrar Haidri - Mar 9, 2009 11:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Yea

Thank you so much for sharing your nice comments and vote ! Cheers.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 8, 2009 5:16 pm - Voted 10/10

This is a good deed

that many people take upon themselves to do. We have done that at the crags in our little town, and have extended this good deed to Yosemite and other places. It needs to get done, and I hope more people would participate in that.

Great job Karrar,
Marc

Karrar Haidri

Karrar Haidri - Mar 9, 2009 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: This is a good deed

Thank you very much for sharing your Nice comments, this year a large number of members of ACP and porters going with us to clean Baltoro.

Karrar Haidri

Karrar Haidri - Mar 9, 2009 12:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: good job!

Thanks Barbara for appreciation and vote.

Regards

Karrar

drshahidiqbal

drshahidiqbal - Mar 13, 2009 4:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done

Hi Dear
you have done a great job. This is really need of the day and such activity be carried out with the help of all tour operators. I am ready to participate for this year. Keep it up. Post alll instructions at Askole.
Conratultions to you and Alpine Club
Thanks

Karrar Haidri

Karrar Haidri - Mar 14, 2009 11:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done

Thanks Doctor Shahid for sharing your appreciation and vote.In 2009 ACP launching clean up expedition again. Kindly send your consent before August 2009 in written.

Regards

Karrar

Roger

Roger - Sep 9, 2009 5:56 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent Effort

Well done Karrar and the Alpine Club of Pakistan to launch a Baltoro Clean Up Expedition each year. It is regretful that your club must conduct a clean up though it is good that you can educate people visiting this region on how to properly dispose of their waste products, either human or man made waste. Lets hope with education that each year the waste becomes less and less and the toilets managed properly.
Thank you for being proud of your region and taking the time to look after the environment.

Karrar Haidri

Karrar Haidri - Sep 9, 2009 1:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent Effort

Thanks you very much for your appreciation.
As you know Over 70 kilometer long Baltoro glacier is the jewel of Karakoram situated about 120 km Northeast of Skardu is the longest glacier outside of the polar regions Visiting mountaineering expeditions and trekking parties accompanied by large number of local porters on the Baltoro glacier, has resulted in large accumulation of waste in the various camping areas on the glacier. The returning visitors to the area are reporting increased deposits of garbage and human body waste lying on these glacier camps, which besides seriously damaging the local ecology, are becoming a hazard to the visitors health.
Every year Alpine Club of Pakistan employing a team of local porters under the supervision of a Member Executive Council Alpine Club of Pakistan to collect all burnable and non burnable garbage to include packing tins, cartons, polythene bags, food stuff etc and carry it out of the area for its correct disposal below Askole – the last village enroute to Baltoro
glacier.
You are right that this practice will educate people visiting this region on how to properly dispose of their waste products, either human or man made waste.

grason1129

grason1129 - Mar 8, 2010 3:18 pm - Voted 10/10

!

Great job I was wondering who cleans up after all the asses who can't respect the beauty of nature. Maybe have a trade that instead of money teams must work a week on clean up to get climbing permits!

Viewing: 1-10 of 10