Baranie Rohy From Chata pri Zelenom Plese

Baranie Rohy From Chata pri Zelenom Plese

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 49.19920°N / 20.19991°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 16, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

The route to Chata pri Zelenom Plese

We started from Budapest in 15th December 2006 around 14:00... We mostly leave our car in Tatranska Matliar. We did it this time as well. Around 21:00 we started from the parking place to the Chata pri Zelenom Plese (Zöldtavi-menedékház). The very first part of the track has yellow sign but after two small wooden bridge we reached the blue sign.
Here the "forest" is very awful "thanks for" the storm 2 years ago. There are no trees you can see only the tracks of the forestier trucks. Sometimes you cannot see the tourist-sign.

So after one and a half hour we reached another yellow signed track that comes from Belá Voda parking place. It goes in healthy forest from here. It is almost the half of the whole route to Chata pri Zelenom Plese.

To tell the truth I don't like to go on this way too much because it is boring a little bit. But in other hand I always went up to this refuge in night. So maybe that is boring becuase I could never seen anything about the landscape just always a little place in the front of me that my headlight made. Fortunatelly we had very good team and we were chatting all the way. :-)

The sky was very clear and when we left the forest it was beautiful because we saw a lot of stars what we cannot see from a big city and we saw the contours of the mountains in the starshine. It was really wonderful.

So around midnight we reached the house. We had booked room so we just get our key and went to the room.

Chata pri Zelenom Plese (Zöldtavi-menedékház)

Going to Baranie Rohy

16th December 2006... We woke up around 7 o'clock. We weren't in hurry so cooked some tea, ate some sandwitches and prepared our gear to the trip.
We started around 8:30... The lake wasn't freezed yet so we had to by-pass it from the side Maly Kezmarky Stit (Wéber-csúcs) and we went to the direction of the valley named Velká Zmrzlá Dolina (Nagy-Papirusz-völgy).

Route from Chata pri Zelenom Plese


If I know well Velká Zmrzlá Dolina means Big Icy Valley... my Slovekian knowledge is very poor so if you speak Slovakian please correct me if my translation is not good ! Thanks in advance !

There are two easy way to go up to the valley: a couloir and an easy via ferrata.
We were 4 of us. My cousin and me chose the couloir that have very good snow conditions, the other 2 persons - my girlfriend and my brother - chose the via ferrata because they didn't have proper gear to go on snow. They just wanted go up on the ferrata and looked around from there.

So we started in the couloir. As I wrote it has very good snow conditions so we went very quickly. At the middle of the couloir we found an icy part on the side of the couloir. I tried a little ice-climbing. :-) After some minutes we went away to the top of the couloir. Here starts the Velká Zmrzlá Dolina.

At this point I didn't know anything about my girlfriend and my brother so I descend to the top of the via ferrata and I met them.
They were OK, so we took some photos and after some minutes they turned back and went down and I went up to my cousin.

The place was windy here. Behind a large stone we took up our jackets and ate some chocolates and went away. The snow was very good here as well so we went very quickly. After 30 minutes we reached the bottom of the second couloir. This couloir goes to the Baranie Sedlo (Téry-Horhos 2389m). It is a pass to the Dolina Pieciu (Öttó-völgye). In the pass we met another Hungarian group and we saw some skiers.

Baranie Sedlo is very popular in cross-country-skiers because the snow is usually good here. In the Dolina Pieciu you can find the Terycho-chata (Téry-ház - 2015m) that is the 2nd highest refuge in High Tatras. It is very good because you can find many climbing routes in the nearby and it is enough high to reach it by skis.

Back from the summit of Baranie Rohy


So we reached the pass and it was first time we could see the sun. It was very nice because the sky was blue with few little clouds. It is half an hour the summit from here.
There is a route through another couloir. It is a little bit steeper than the previous ones, but it is not difficult. We almost stopped and took photos and I made a video as well. (I think you can download it soon if you are interested)

Landscape to NW from Baranie Rohy


So we climbed up the the ridge of Baranie Rohy and from here it was an easy walk to the summit. It was very nice. We ate and drinked, took dozen of photos.

Landscape from Baranie Rohy to the West

Descending

Descendig was easy because most places we simply slided on our butts. :-) So we reached the Chata pri Zelenom Plese in 1 hour. :-) It was much faster than ascending. :-)))
The only place to really take care whem you descend from the summit to the Baranie Sedlo. I slided off a little bit here in the couloir but I stopped myself with my ice-axe in time.

Gear

Crampons, ice-axe

And a video about the trip...




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Dec 18, 2006 7:58 pm - Voted 10/10

beatiful trip

and great photos (I want more!) from this early wintertime in Tatras...

julesblaidd

julesblaidd - Dec 19, 2006 10:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: beatiful trip

Thanks, Tomek !
I think it will be dangerous in Tatra this season because the surface of the snow is very solid and icy. So if there will be more snow there will be serious avalanche danger.
As I can see you took very great trips in Tatra ! I saw your photos and I enjoyed them ! I envy your ski tour to Baranie Sedlo a little bit... :-) It could be fun !

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Dec 18, 2006 11:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting Report

And wonderful photos. Happy holidays from California.

julesblaidd

julesblaidd - Dec 19, 2006 10:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting Report

Thank you very much!

julesblaidd

julesblaidd - Dec 19, 2006 10:32 am - Hasn't voted

More photos...

http://kep.tar.hu/julesblaidd

Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Baranie RohyTrip Reports