Barometer Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Gregoire13 - Jul 10, 2019 8:44 pm Date Climbed: Jul 10, 2019

Barometer mountain  Sucess!

Couple hours to do the roundtrip. Fun, short and incredible views.
Trail is market right passed the airport runway hey blast signs.

Bob Lehman

Bob Lehman - Jan 27, 2019 5:00 pm Date Climbed: Feb 6, 2018

Winter ascent of the East Ridge of Barometer Mountain  Sucess!

Winter climb of the East Ridge of Barometer Mountain. It was a clear, cold and windless day; absolutely perfect. Not a soul in sight. By far the best time of year and conditions to make an ascent. Snow surface was styrofoam with sections of hard ice up high. JTappel approach info is spot on, not that difficult to locate.

JTappel - Sep 7, 2015 1:11 pm Date Climbed: Sep 4, 2015

Barometer Mountain  Sucess!

Regarding how to access the trailhead, it seems more than a few hikers have the same trouble. Here is the key: As you drive from Kodiak toward the airport, you pass the airport, then the main East-West runway on your left. Approximately 100 yards past the runway, look for a small parking pad on your left (airport side of the road). Park here. Across the road, there is a small blue sign (maybe 6x6 inches) which marks the trailhead. Head on up from here. It's a good trail, although steep. Bring bear spray - I saw 3 brown bears on my hike this week.

xpda

xpda - Aug 13, 2011 1:08 am Date Climbed: Jul 15, 1999

Barometer Mountain  Sucess!

Climbed with Lane. Heard a large animal. Did they name it this because planes hit the mountain if their altimeter is not set correctly?

jimegan

jimegan - Sep 7, 2010 10:04 am Date Climbed: Sep 1, 2010

Barometer Mtn  Sucess!

Climbed with new friends Jill and Russ from overgrown track heading west from end of airport runway through alders and eventually thick brush...not a great way to access it in 2010

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Barometer Mountain' main page