Bat Cave Peak (UN2070)

Bat Cave Peak (UN2070)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.70856°N / 98.71705°W
Additional Information County: Commanche
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2070 ft / 631 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Bat Cave Peak

Bat Cave Peak, formerly referred to as Un-Named 2070, is located in the western portion of the Wichita Mountain National Wildlife Refuge near Lawton OK. Not to be confused with the officially named Bat Cave Mountain, Bat Cave Peak is generally located at the end of the higher ridge extending south from Mt Lincoln. It is east of Post Oak Lake, and west of the southbound portion of Indiahoma Road. It is approximately .5 miles directly west of the Indiahoma Road, .75 miles directly north of the east-west portion of Indiahoma Road, .77 miles east of Post Oak Lake, and .87 miles from the center of Elk Mountain.

Bat Cave Peak is one of the most prominent eye-catching formations in the refuge, especially if you are viewing it from east to west. It has the appearance of a thumb or knob protruding toward the south. It is the most dominating point at the confluence of the three mountains in the immediate area..... Bat Cave Peak, Bat Cave Mountain, and Phantom Mountain. It is climbable without the use of ropes, etc.

Bat Cave Mountain

Bat Cave Mountain (Elev 1855ft) is a low ridge extending to the southeast from the base of Bat Cave Peak. The Indiahoma Road actually makes a gentle curve around the easternmost flank of the mountain. Bat Cave, AKA Wind Cave, is located about the center of the mountain ridge on the south side. Looking north, the cave can be seen from points south on the Indiahoma Road. The cave is not accessible without the help of a rope from above, or a ladder from below, unless you want to take some serious chances.... NOT advisable.

For additional information, please see the Bat Cave Mountain page on Summit Post.
(Also see Bat Cave Area Map in the image section of this page.)

Phantom Mountain

Phantom Mountain, elevation 1954 feet, is located almost directly south of Bat Cave Peak. On the east side of the mountain there is a climbable boulder field that resembles the boulder field on Mt Scott. Neither Phantom Mountain or Bat Cave Mountain stand out as hugely impressive marks on the terrain because they are overshadowed by the higher Bat Cave Peak which sits at the confluence of the two ridges. (See Bat Cave Area Map in the image section of this page.)

Getting There...

From Lawton OK:
If you are visiting the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge from the Lawton area, you will most likely enter the park on Rt 49 from the H.E. Bailey Turnpike (I-44). It is approximately 8 miles from I-44 to the park. Once in the park continue on Rt 49 West passing the turnoff to Meers OK (Rt 115). Shortly after you pass the Visitor Center Rt 49 will turn to the right and continue westward through the refuge. Turn left toward the Refuge Headquarters (Indiahoma Road). After passing the French Lake and Fawn Creek turnoffs you will begin to see Bat Cave Peak protruding from the south end of the higher mountain ridge to the west. There are a couple of small vehicle pulloffs parallel to the mountain where you can park and begin the trek westward to the peak. If you come to a full right turn in the road toward the west, you have gone too far.

From Cache OK:
From US Rt 62, take Rt 115 N from Cache. It is about 6 miles from Cache to the WMNWR gate. Follow Rt 115 to Rt 49. Continue west on Rt 49 until you reach the turn off to the Refuge headquarters (Indiahoma Road). Refer above paragraph for further details.

From the WEST ENTRANCE:
Enter the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge on Rt 49. Continue east past the Sunset turnoff. Look for the turnoff to the Refuge Headquarters. Turn right (Indiahoma Road) and continue south past French Lake and Fawn Creek turnoffs. Refer first paragraph in this section for further details.

DISTANCE to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge from various cities:

Amarillo TX, 214 miles
Dallas TX, 205 miles
Fort Smith AR, 263 miles
Oklahoma City OK, 86 miles
Tulsa OK, 191 miles
Wichita KS, 246 miles
Wichita Falls TX, 68 miles

CAUTION:Observe posted speed limit signs, especially at night. Park authorites will ticket you for violations. I know from first hand experience!

Red Tape...

There is no fee to visit the Wichita Mountain National Wildlife Refuge. There are several picnicking areas throughout the park. There are opportunities for general camping, backcountry camping (Permit only) and there are numerous trails for hiking and backpacking. Boating is permitted but there are special rules that apply. Fishing is in accordance with state and federal regulations. Hunting is by lottery through the OK Department of Wildlife Conservation. There are tours and special programs provided by the park service. For specific rules and regulations and/or additional information, please check with the WMNWR Visitor Center or visit the site below.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

Route 1, Box 448, Indiahoma, OK 73552 (580) 429-3222

Other Points of Interest...

MONOLITH BOULDER
Monolith Boulder is a massive piece of rock located near the base of Bat Cave Peak on the SE side. It measures approximately 112 feet in circumference and can be seen from several points along the Indiahoma Rd. To reach Monolith Boulder, park on the Indiahoma Rd near the eastern end of Bat Cave Mountain. Begin hiking westward up over the granite slabs in the direction of Bat Cave Peak. If you hike up on the ridge of Bat Cave Mountain you should have an excellent view of the Monolith. A casual hike to the boulder should take less than 2 hours - round trip.

MESA VERDE ARCH
Mesa Verde Arch (AKA Natures Dwell) can be seen on the east side of Bat Cave Mountain from the Indiahoma Road. It has the appearance of the beginnings of a cliff dwelling having a natural recess into the mountain of about 25 ft. It is about a 20 minute hike from the road.

Camping...

The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge offers a fully developed camping facility.

Doris Campground is located about 1 1/2 miles to the west of the Visitor Center. This campground is fully developed with water, fire grills, picnic tables, sanitary dump stations, shower & restroom facilities, tent sites, some electrical hookups, and trailer spaces. Sites are first come - first served. There is limited group camping by reservation only. Fees are charged.

Backcountry camping (by permit only) is available in the Charon's Garden Wilderness Area further to the west.

Hiking Health and Safety

Depending on what season of the year that you hike in the Wichita Mountains you may need to be concerned with ticks, chiggers, and other potential insect threats. Insect repellent is always a good idea. Upon returning home, be sure to wash your clothes and check your body for ticks. They will often show up a day or two later. Always treat any insect bite with concern. If sickness, fever, aching, etc, follow an insect bite you should seek your doctors care.

Beware of the animals in the refuge. Buffalo and Longhorn Steer can be dangerous if cornered or threatened. Snakes are also plentiful. Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. Remember, a good hike is a safe hike.

External Links...

WICHITA MOUNTAINS WILDLIFE REFUGE Website

US WILDLIFE AREAS Website

WICHITA MOUNTAINS COBBLESTONE GAZETTE