Viewing: 21-37 of 37 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Dean - don't think your compliments are deserved but thank you very much! You too have not been a slouch when it comes to climbing and submitting good stuff to SP ;)
Posted Jun 7, 2005 7:37 pm

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Great looking page.
Posted Jun 6, 2005 7:07 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Hi. Thank you for your vote and comment. I've been doing a lot of this stuff with that other guy from Medford, Dennis. Hey, I even traveled to Medford to buy a canopy for my pickup. Neat town and a great area. Have a great summer.
Posted Jun 6, 2005 10:59 pm

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

You did such an entertaining job writing this page up I'm probably going to have to go out there to see it! (Well, not right away, though.)

I drove through this area over 30 years ago and it is truly lonely country but beautiful in its own way.

Thanks for a great job.

Don
Posted Jun 6, 2005 11:31 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Don. It was good to talk with you yesterday from Pedro Mountain, another unknown peak that only a few prominence peak chasers have heard of. Congrat's again on getting Skamania COHP. That is a good one to be done with.

Oh yes, I'm willing to bet that nothing has changed in the 30 years since you were in that area. Time stands still in that area.
Posted Jun 7, 2005 1:21 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Nice job, Dean.
Posted Jun 7, 2005 12:50 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Brian. As you can tell, I seem to enjoy Oregon as much as anyone. I really find the diversity worthwhile and whether it is Hood or Beatys Butte, Oregon is great. Now to get back down there and get Pueblo, Drake, Gearhart, etc.
Posted Jun 7, 2005 1:23 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Pueblo and Gearhart are great ones, you'll enjoy. And I'll look for your Drake page sometime in the future! : )

Posted Jun 7, 2005 3:37 pm

Martin CashUntitled Comment

Martin Cash

Good looking page Dean.
Posted Jun 7, 2005 9:05 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Martin, your comment and vote is appreciated.
Posted Jun 7, 2005 12:12 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Tom, I know this is one that is going to be high on your to do list because it kinda looks like a volcano from the distance. It is interesting to see some of the ones that are

prominence peaks. Sheepshead is one that really a long way from nowhere too but it is a long drive to and isn't much of anything to climb.
Posted Jun 9, 2005 12:09 am

CornvallisUntitled Comment

Cornvallis

Like Bob says "So many mountains, so little time." I have been planning my peakbagging summer around the three lists, CHP's, OR 100 highest, and prominence peaks in OR. Should be a fun summer. You guys are amazing how many peaks you pick off in a weekend.
Posted Jun 9, 2005 2:48 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

I still need to go back and get Pueblo and Pueblo west. (both are in the new book 75 Scrambles in Oregon) If you are interested in those, let me know as Bob B and I will try and put together a trip down there this fall. I also want to get Drake,

Gearhart and Yamsay. Ah, this stuff is what life is all about.
Posted Jun 9, 2005 4:10 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Tazz. As you can see, I enjoy seeing the areas of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. What a great area we live in.

I appreciate your vote.
Posted Feb 4, 2006 11:28 am

cjwhatAdd'l road info

cjwhat

Dean - The road off 140 is not currently in decent shape. I would grade it as 'passable'. I was tickled in the short sections on which I could drive 30 mph. The sign at 140 says 'Spaulding Reservoir 19 mi' and no signs say 'Beatys Butte Road', so perhaps adding this would increase confidence that the correct road is being taken (although your mileage number is right on). Also I suggest a better approach than your West Gulch Road is to go 23 miles from 140 and turn E on Mahogany Mountain Road; then proceed 4.5 miles to the south base of Beatys Butte. This road is an excellent 4WD road ... I averaged 15 mph and the couple of crossings I had to slow down for were easy. I voted 10 because your page really does have excellent directions, but if you incorporate my suggestions I think it will be more excellent. As for snakes ... this is rattlesnake country, but outside of 100 ft from the drainage bottoms is really lousy snake habitat. - Cory
Posted Aug 27, 2007 7:22 pm

DeanRe: Add'l road info

Thanks Cory for your update. I wonder what happened to the sign that said "Beatys Butte Road" It was right there at the junction with highway 140. Dennis and I slept in our vehicles about 100 feet from the sign. I will incorporate your info onto the front page. Congrat's on being one of the few to have been to this remote mountain.
Posted Aug 27, 2007 11:06 pm

calebEOCAccessing Beatys Butte from Highway 205

calebEOC

There really is no "northern road access" for this mountain as I had suspected. The Benchmark Atlas shows some 4x4 roads crossing the Catlow Valley from the north and west but they just arent there, or maybe they are so overgrown as to be impossible to locate. I'm probably the only person to have ever looked for them, but if anyone else ever has the crazy idea of checking for themselves I'd suggest dont bother.
Posted May 26, 2010 9:26 pm