Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.35170°N / 117.6761°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8484 ft / 2586 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
BM Frost  
Benchmark Frost 8,485ft. is the western highpoint of the massive Blue Ridge formation that resides to the south of the town Wrightwood. It is a highly scenic and broad ridge that offers great backdoor access to the eastern San Gabriels. The ridge is also the connector for the Baden-Powell high country to the San Antonio high country. Along this ridge runs a road and the Pacfic Crest Trail. The eastern highpoint of the ridge is the better known peak Wright Mountain the true highpoint of the ridge at 8,505ft.

Getting There

Go north on I-15 to the SR 138. Turn left (west) and continue to the junction with SR 2. Turn left on SR 2, continue through Wrightwood and 4 miles further to the junction with N4. Keep left on SR 2 and continue 1.8 miles farther to large parking areas on both sides of the road. At the beginning of the left parking area is the fireroad Blue Ridge Road. Take this road. Note your odometer and go a little more then 3 miles, pass Blue Ridge Campground. Not the open ridge, firebreak or old jeep road, on the north side of the road, the ridge leads to a towered covered peak, Frost. Park on the sides of the road without blocking traffic.

Route Description

 
Frost Map  
Short Route: From the parking area hike east up the open firebreak. Hike all the way to the first towers about .5 miles and 350 feet of gain. To the right side of the first towers there is a toppled concrete survey marker. This is the Frost Benchmark that was bulldozed by the construction of the towers. Further east of this point there is a multitude of towers and a few rock outcrops that rise 5 or so feet higher then the benchmark. Long Route:

Essential Gear

Just bring the usual gear for a short hike or a mountain bike ride. You will also need a National Forest Adventure Pass for parking. They are available at many stores in Wrightwood and at the local Grassy Hollow Visitor Center.

External Links

For current condition go to Angeles National Forest.