Berchtesgadener Hochthron in mid-November

Berchtesgadener Hochthron in mid-November

Page Type Page Type: Album

Here in Austria...

...it's fairly rare that in mid-November you would find a peak of 1972 meters height, such as the Berchtesgadener Hochthron (highest point of the Untersberg), almost entirely free of snow and so warm you wouldn't even need a sweater the entire day. But this was exactly the case on Sunday, November 14th, 2010 when I went up the Berchtesgadener Hochthron, starting in Hintergern above Berchtesgaden and going back down the same way. One accomplishes a height gain of 1000 meters; it takes a little over 3 hours to go up and about 2 and a quarter hours to go back down. The views over Dachstein, Berchtesgaden Alps, Chiemgau Alps and Tyrolean Alps are beautiful, especially when the weather is as clear as it was that day, and one gets also awesome views to the more or less 300 meters high south face of the Berchtesgadener Hochthron; very popular among climbers - thanks to a very loudly pronouced four-letter word I heard coming from the direction of the wall, I noticed two of them...;-)


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Nov 15, 2010 12:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Great...

album, Eric.
:-)
Marc

EricChu

EricChu - Nov 15, 2010 2:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great...

Thanks Marc! :-) It was a great day yesterday, very warm and yet crystal clear - quite rare hereabouts for middle of November. I woke up early yesterday, on Sunday, looked out of the window, and my first thought was: It would be a CRIME to just sit at home today!!
Cheers,
Eric

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.