Big Craggies Comments

vancouver islanderOutstanding...

vancouver islander

...and thorough route description. Many thanks.
Posted Jun 17, 2006 11:54 pm

Dennis PoulinRe: Outstanding...

Dennis Poulin

Thanks.
Posted Jun 26, 2006 9:02 pm

MoapaPkMemories

MoapaPk

I did quite a bit of mapping in obscure areas of the Kalmiopsis -- stayed with Ruth and Perry Davis at Emlly Cabin in 1978, and ventured out on many trailess hikes. 4000'+ may not seem like much to the average SPer, but I could often see the Pacific Ocean, so that should give some idea of the "prominence". I remember hiking over the ridge south of Vulcan Peak, and the ridge far to the east, as well as on many ridges around Josephine Creek and the Chetco River. It's an interesting area -- 100" of precipitation mainly in the fall, winter, and spring -- so there is plenty of water -- and dry summers.
Posted Jun 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Dennis PoulinRe: Memories

Dennis Poulin

Thanks. It is still a beautiful area even though most of it burned in the Biscuit Fire.
Posted Jun 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Brian JenkinsNice

Brian Jenkins

Wondered about these for a while. Now, there is beta. Thanks!

Hey, how did things go in Alaska??
Posted Jul 21, 2006 3:04 am

Dennis PoulinRe: Nice

Dennis Poulin

I pulled up lame at about 15,600ft. Pulled calf muscle. I'm going back next year. Do you want to join me?
Posted Jul 22, 2006 1:51 am

Nick TurturaGrowth is coming

Nick Turtura

The biscuit fire burned everything and left a jungle of rhododendron skeletons. Which is something we all know and are ready for, However as time has passed, now 11 years, the terrain has changed a bit. The new growth that has come up is now over 6 feet and intertwined with the dead. The dead stuff is finally starting to rot, thus wherever you step the dead stuff breaks away. For instance, If you are traversing, (pretty much the whole thing) everything below you is breaking way and making you slide down so you are constantly grabbing at stuff to keep you on the mountain. 50% that stuff is dead and breaks away. I followed the posted Topo and spent the majority of the time crawling. Trying to walk the traverses just ended up in too many slides and tumbles. Knowing it was going to be bad I wore work gloves and thick Carhartt pants. By the time I returned my pants where extensively ripped. If planning this peak caution should be taken with time constrains as well a physical exertion to do all the crawling/climbing through brush. I am an Ironman athlete my partner is a 3:30 marathoner and this climb WIPED US OUT. Cramps, nausea the whole bit. I think in a couple of years the dead stuff will be more sparse and the living bushes will be more solid, I just think it's at a difficult in between stage right now. Everything else is spot on.
Posted Apr 20, 2013 4:25 pm