Viewing: 1-15 of 15
mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Oct 1, 2004 4:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good job Bob!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 1, 2004 5:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. I bagged four peaks on this latest trip. I failed to get the one I was really after, though. Too many downed trees and washed out trails and I just plain ran out of energy and daylight.

rpc

rpc - Oct 1, 2004 5:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The usual nice job on the page Bob!



Looks like some impressive rock faces? Do you know if this area is listed in any guidebooks (hiking or climbing)? I know that Mountaineers Publishing has a Rock Climbing N C book...wonder if this place is listed there?

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 1, 2004 6:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I'm not sure. As guess all you climbers are sick of hearing, I am not a climber. I respect the sport and would love to try it, but at 220 pounds and being blind in one eye, I think it's out of my league.



I do know folk climb in there. Mainly Big Green (not so much the other ones). I get the impression it's like a cool secret to the climbers in the Southern Apps. The granite is kickass and solid, from what little I know about climbing. I did some friction climbing at the base so that I could take some good pictures for you rock-climber dudes at the base of Big Green.



As I also mentioned, there is no official trail system in Panthertown. So you HAVE to buy the Kornegay map (I've got a link for it on all of my Panthertown summitposts). It's only $5 and will keep you from getting way lost. None of the trails are named in the Valley. None. None are blazed. None. There are half-assed and faint trails all over the goddamned place in there. You have to be really, really careful not to get lost and end up in a pit of copperheads or going over a wall, etc.



But for the sheer pleasure of looking at whitewater, falls, cliff faces, rocky peaks, etc., there isn't as much stuff crammed into such a tight place anywhere else on the east coast.



They don't call it "The Yosemite of the East" for nothin'.



Rob

Rob - Oct 1, 2004 7:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good info.

A photo of the mountain will complete the page.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 1, 2004 9:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Done. I found a photo of Big Green that I took from Little Green a couple months ago.

desainme

desainme - Oct 1, 2004 10:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

More cool granite views. Good hiking and climbing.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 1, 2004 11:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. I picked a good time to hike in there, too. Everyone else thought it was closed, so I had the whole 8K acres to myself! The colors were just starting to turn. It was a tad chilly, but not too cool for shorts, and not too cold to jump in those mountain pools, which I did every afternoon for three days.

brenta

brenta - Oct 2, 2004 12:10 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page with many good pictures. The essential information is there and is presented clearly. I wonder how much of the trail damage was due to the recent severe weather. Anyway, it looks like Big Green can provide a true wilderness experience. Thanks for posting!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 2, 2004 1:46 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

NC has officially owned Panthertown Valley for some years now, but can never find the funds, somehow, to protect this very important place. The trails are a mess and have been for some time. They suffer from neglect and constant erosion. But the 20+ inches of rain over the course of a couple of weeks really took a toll on them. Most are still usable, but some were impassable and I had to forego reaching one peak because two trails had basically vanished under storm debris.



There is a project afoot to improve the trails and have the official ones blazed and marked and named, and the unofficial ones blocked off. But who knows when that will happen?

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 2, 2004 5:38 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another good one with colourful photos. Autumn did its share, didn't it?

Have a nice weekend!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 2, 2004 9:49 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 2, 2004 12:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another good page! If I get back down to NC (soonest would be in mid-December) maybe we could get a hike in together? You certainly know the area. Unfortunately, the US Department of Energy stuck me with an project, that I may have to work on over Christmas! But, maybe I will still make it down there. Keep Klimbin'!!!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Aug 12, 2005 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 7, 2005 9:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Big Green Mountain' main page