Bivy on State Peak

Bivy on State Peak

Took some looking around and removal of hundred pound debris from the surface, but I soon found the perfect bivy spot shortly below the summit of State Peak. In the morning the view to Taboose Pass and Arrow Peak was superb!
mrchad9
on Aug 6, 2013 12:29 am
Image ID: 859981

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Aug 6, 2013 4:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow, what an incredible bivy spot!

This photo makes my heart race. I wish I was 30 years younger, and 30 pounds lighter.

A few questions, if you don't mind, please!
1-What brand of bivy sack?
2-How much does it weigh?
3-Is it Gore-Tex, or another Water proof-breathable material?
4-Can you put a hoop in it?
5-What is the bottom made of? 70 denier nylon?
Looks like a side zip.

Thank you in advance Chad.



mrchad9

mrchad9 - Aug 6, 2013 7:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow, what an incredible bivy spot!

Hey thanks Marc! Yeah this was my favorite shot of the trip. Was nice to just lay in there and enjoy the view. Was like I was floating in air.

The bivy is an 'REI Minimalist Bivy'. Only about 1 pound. There are lighter and more expensive models, but this is not bad for occasional use. Waterproof and windproof. I haven't had it out in the rain, but used it on the summit of Shasta in a storm with frost and it did great... you can't even feel the wind in these things. It is very warm and sheltered. I think the BetaLight is better if it rains, but otherwise this is pretty good. Doesn't have a hoop, or even a full closure (just a screen) so you'd have to use a rain jacket or roll over if it was really raining. Zip goes about halfway down each side. Got me through a sub-zero night with howling winds on Shasta as mentioned, so I'm ok with it!

Good for the Sierra... I have a buddy who went out and bought one after he saw me use it. I have another bivy with a hoop more for winter activities, but that one is over 2 pounds.

I wish I was 30 years younger too!!!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2