rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

nice page.
Posted Oct 1, 2004 7:23 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks.

I bagged four of the five peaks I set out to summit this week in Panthertown Valley. There was too much trail damage and downed trees for me to make the top of Cold Mountain. Very frustrating, but I got four out of five.

Posted Oct 1, 2004 7:31 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

80% score ratio ain't bad :) .....for the past few weekends, our success ratio on peaks/routes has been "0 for 1 or 2 weekend attempts"....now THAT's REALLY disappointing!!

...hopefully can change that this weekend.
Posted Oct 1, 2004 7:36 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Well done area where few have reported before. Liked the granite caps with the dry grasses. Is the Cold Mtn. at the east end of the Plott Balsams (I think that's the one in your pix) different from the one in the recent Civil War novel?
Posted Oct 1, 2004 9:58 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

The Cold Mountain from the novel/movie is the one in the Shining Rock Wilderness. Summit is 6030 feet, I think. This Cold Mountain is near Whiteside Mountain, pretty much dead center in Panthertown Valley. In the winter, when the leaves are off the trees, some truly phenomenal views of the exposed domes can be had.

This Cold Mountain is one of the peaks that forms the bulwark of higher ridges around the central valley. At 4,600 feet, it towers about 1000 to 1200 feet above the valley floor. It, too, has some stupendous cliffs, actually much more severe than on the valley plutons.

It's not very close to the Plott Balsams, although there easily could be more "Cold Mountain"s. I haven't checked to see how many times that name is duplicated.

I very much wanted to summit that peak, but it just got the better of me. Next time, for sure.

Posted Oct 1, 2004 10:53 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Thanks Bob, I had only heard of the higher one 6030 feet at the end of the Plott Balsams and only surmised that it was the one in the novel. Didn't realize there was a Panthertown Mtn. of the same name. Looks like you had a good experience.
Posted Oct 1, 2004 11:04 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Nice page, but you may want to beef up the getting there section.
Posted Oct 1, 2004 10:47 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Good one again. But why the blue frame? I prefer golden :-)
Posted Oct 2, 2004 5:39 am

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Good, complete page. Nice views from the top. Thanks for posting!
Posted Oct 2, 2004 11:37 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks!

Posted Oct 2, 2004 12:42 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

When you add a route, this page will be complete. Good work so far.
Posted Oct 2, 2004 12:22 pm

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Nice page. (not sure about the blue border..) Cheers William
Posted Mar 7, 2005 10:19 am

Dow WilliamsUntitled Comment

Dow Williams

Whenever I miss the old fall colors, I just go to one of your pages Bob. Have a wedding in Hilton Head in October, wrong end of the Carolinas for me. Cheers.

Posted Aug 26, 2005 6:47 am