Comments

OlympicMtnBoyBeautiful place

OlympicMtnBoy

A wonderful photographic tribute to a beautiful place. Nice work on your page too!
Posted Oct 30, 2006 2:49 pm

nartrebRe: largely redundant

nartreb

You're right - I hadn't realized how much bigger the Blue Ridge is than the little section I visited. The page is not redundant. But put yourself in the reader's shoes: after reading your page, where do they go next for more info? I think you could be more helpful with that: maybe divide the page up into geographic sections and give links to the mountains in each? An overview map with links to each section would be ideal.
And I stand by the comment on photos - you've got a huge amount of white space at the bottom of your main section because of all the photos trailing down.
Posted Oct 30, 2006 11:02 pm

nartrebRe: Re photos

nartreb

OK, so the fix is this: the left-aligned photos and the right-aligned ones have to alternate. Otherwise (in Firefox), the right-aligned ones don't start until the left-algned ones are done.
Actually the original idea was that instead of listing all the photos at the beginning, you insert two (one left, one right) at the beginning of each paragraph (except don't use a right one for the Dead quote, to leave room for the TOC), but just alternating left and right should be good enough.
Posted Oct 31, 2006 1:11 am

rasgoatBlue Ridge mountains, Shenandoa river

rasgoat

Country roads,Take me home, to the place that I belong, West Virginia!, mountain mama, take me home, country roads.
Posted Oct 31, 2006 1:21 am

BobSmithGeorgia.

BobSmith

You left out Georgia in your description of the Blue Ridge. Most of the high country in my native state are Blue Ridge ranges.
Posted Nov 2, 2006 12:30 am

BobSmithSC too!

BobSmith

I forgot to mention SC!

Posted Nov 2, 2006 10:12 pm

Mark DoironWonderful!

Mark Doiron

Living here in Oklahoma, as I do, one gains an appreciation for even the most modest of mountains (the only east/west range in the U.S. is here in our state). Curtis and I visited the Great Smokies and Shenandoah a couple years ago and had a wonderful time, hiking parts of the AT here and there (and rafting the Ocoee, a real hoot!). I'd love to return and hike the AT through Shenandoah. So many places, so little time. Thanks, Bob, another excellent project! I've atch'd a few images. --mark d.
Posted Nov 5, 2006 10:09 pm

Mark DoironRe: Wonderful!

Mark Doiron

Yes, it is the Ouachitas (in the southeast part of the state). The Ouachitas are really spectacular this time of year. There is also the wonderful Ouachita Trail, which runs along the spine of the mountains in Oklahoma before crossing into Arkansas. --mark d.
Posted Nov 6, 2006 11:59 am

MelbaToastChildhood Memories

MelbaToast

My family used to camp in the Blue Ridge Mountains when I was a kid. I remember the flowers and the rain in particular. I still remember the trillium, jack-in-the-pulpit, and lily of the valley all these 30 years later. Awesome place. Thanks so much for posting!!
Posted Nov 7, 2006 8:50 pm

CRiedel2Glad To See a Blue Ridge Page

CRiedel2

I'm a little late on this, but I'm glad to see a page on the Blue Ridge Mountains finally. Nice work!
Posted Dec 27, 2006 5:16 am

TheonestarBeen All Around This World

Theonestar

no junk from the dead only lovely, happy melodies. Actually the song's origins (Been All Around this World) is still not completely certain. Jerry did a fine job in his rendition though.

Good page Bob. You are right-there is something magical about the Blue Ridge. We may not compare to the west, but we have a charm all it's own. I will make my stand there anyday.
Posted Sep 11, 2007 7:25 am

Sarah SimonReady to visit the Blue Ridge

Sarah Simon

Bob,

Between you and Bob Smith, I'm ready for a trip to the eastern mountains. This page is lovely.

Sarah
Posted Jan 9, 2009 5:54 pm

WoundedKneeNice page, Bob

WoundedKnee

I too often struggle with "West envy," but we have a pretty nice playground in our neck of the woods.
Posted Apr 29, 2010 10:29 am