Viewing: 1-20 of 28 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

OlympicMtnBoyBeautiful place

OlympicMtnBoy

A wonderful photographic tribute to a beautiful place. Nice work on your page too!
Posted Oct 30, 2006 2:49 pm

nartrebRe: largely redundant

nartreb

You're right - I hadn't realized how much bigger the Blue Ridge is than the little section I visited. The page is not redundant. But put yourself in the reader's shoes: after reading your page, where do they go next for more info? I think you could be more helpful with that: maybe divide the page up into geographic sections and give links to the mountains in each? An overview map with links to each section would be ideal.
And I stand by the comment on photos - you've got a huge amount of white space at the bottom of your main section because of all the photos trailing down.
Posted Oct 30, 2006 11:02 pm

Bob SihlerRe: largely redundant

Bob Sihler

About the white space-- this surprises me, because on my computer screen, the photos and text in the main section end at about the same point, and the admittedly short camping and red tape sections begin directly below that, with no empty space. It doesn't make sense that our computers would show two different things, but maybe they do somehow. I'm very curious to see how we're seeing two different things, but I guess I'm not about to drive up to New England to do that. On my edit page, there is an empty field in position 1 that keeps appearing even though I keep deleting it. Maybe that somehow shows on other people's screens, though no one else has mentioned it. But honestly, there is absolutely no empty white space on this computer's screen. I wouldn't leave something like that up.

I like the idea about geographic sections better than the one about history. Really, I'm not going to take the time to research a useful history. So I'll think about how I'd like to do the sections (something I did do with the Yellowstone Ecosystem page I made), and then I'll work on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

And if I wasn't clear about your question about what was wrong with the existing Shenandoah page, I don't think anything is. It's just that it only covers about a fifth of the Blue Ridge; dividing the page into geographic sections may make that clearer.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Bob
Posted Oct 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Bob SihlerRe: largely redundant

Bob Sihler

Okay, last one, I hope. Read this after the long one I just sent. I wonder if your computer somehow isn't showing all the text. Sometimes the site doesn't show all photos and text when I go to a page, but it's all there later. Could that be happening here?
Posted Oct 30, 2006 11:22 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Re photos

Bob Sihler

You're right-- they all were at the beginning. I did what you suggested about putting them after the lyrics. There's now a little white space at the bottom, but nothing bad. Tell me what you think.

I'll let you know when I do those sections. I'm pretty sure I know what I'll do, but with Halloween tomorrow and a 2-year-old to chase after, I probably won't be ready to post them for two or three days. So I'll be interested in getting your feedback then.

Bob
Posted Oct 31, 2006 12:23 am

nartrebRe: Re photos

nartreb

OK, so the fix is this: the left-aligned photos and the right-aligned ones have to alternate. Otherwise (in Firefox), the right-aligned ones don't start until the left-algned ones are done.
Actually the original idea was that instead of listing all the photos at the beginning, you insert two (one left, one right) at the beginning of each paragraph (except don't use a right one for the Dead quote, to leave room for the TOC), but just alternating left and right should be good enough.
Posted Oct 31, 2006 1:11 am

rasgoatBlue Ridge mountains, Shenandoa river

rasgoat

Country roads,Take me home, to the place that I belong, West Virginia!, mountain mama, take me home, country roads.
Posted Oct 31, 2006 1:21 am

Bob SihlerRe: Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoa river

Bob Sihler

That's how I feel out there, even if the geography in the song isn't right.
Posted Oct 31, 2006 1:36 am

BobSmithGeorgia.

BobSmith

You left out Georgia in your description of the Blue Ridge. Most of the high country in my native state are Blue Ridge ranges.
Posted Nov 2, 2006 12:30 am

Bob SihlerRe: Georgia.

Bob Sihler

I forgot that-- no insult meant. I tend to think of the range as a NC/VA system despite its reaching up into Maryland and down into Georgia (and SC). I will do some editing tonight.
Posted Nov 2, 2006 12:42 am

Bob SihlerRe: Georgia.

Bob Sihler

If you know of any Georgia mts. on SP, please feel free to attach them or tell me about them so I can attach them.
Posted Nov 2, 2006 10:40 pm

BobSmithSC too!

BobSmith

I forgot to mention SC!

Posted Nov 2, 2006 10:12 pm

Bob SihlerRe: SC too!

Bob Sihler

Don't worry; I put it in.
Posted Nov 2, 2006 10:38 pm

Mark DoironWonderful!

Mark Doiron

Living here in Oklahoma, as I do, one gains an appreciation for even the most modest of mountains (the only east/west range in the U.S. is here in our state). Curtis and I visited the Great Smokies and Shenandoah a couple years ago and had a wonderful time, hiking parts of the AT here and there (and rafting the Ocoee, a real hoot!). I'd love to return and hike the AT through Shenandoah. So many places, so little time. Thanks, Bob, another excellent project! I've atch'd a few images. --mark d.
Posted Nov 5, 2006 10:09 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Wonderful!

Bob Sihler

Thank you for the compliments and the attached images-- I enjoy your pictures. By the way, there is another east-west range in the U.S.-- the Uintas in Utah (and I always thought they were the only such range). What, by the way, is the Oklahoma range? Is it the Ouachitas (spelling?)?
Posted Nov 6, 2006 1:17 am

Mark DoironRe: Wonderful!

Mark Doiron

Yes, it is the Ouachitas (in the southeast part of the state). The Ouachitas are really spectacular this time of year. There is also the wonderful Ouachita Trail, which runs along the spine of the mountains in Oklahoma before crossing into Arkansas. --mark d.
Posted Nov 6, 2006 11:59 am

Bob SihlerRe: Wonderful!

Bob Sihler

Thanks for those links. The area does look really nice. Another place to put on the list...
Posted Nov 7, 2006 1:55 am

MelbaToastChildhood Memories

MelbaToast

My family used to camp in the Blue Ridge Mountains when I was a kid. I remember the flowers and the rain in particular. I still remember the trillium, jack-in-the-pulpit, and lily of the valley all these 30 years later. Awesome place. Thanks so much for posting!!
Posted Nov 7, 2006 8:50 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Childhood Memories

Bob Sihler

You're welcome, and thank you!
Posted Nov 8, 2006 12:25 am

Bob SihlerRe: Lovely page!

Bob Sihler

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like them.
Posted Nov 8, 2006 10:55 pm