Bluff Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5

isaacjamesbaker - Jan 7, 2023 8:00 pm Date Climbed: Jan 7, 2023

So fun

What a blast to scramble and boulder on this lovely granite. The blowdowns after a recent storm were severe. If you're looking to skirt the boulders to the proper summit, I would stick to the west/right-hand side of the ridge. A lovely winter endeavor that I hope to return to, as the rock and solitude is just delightful.

CMStinson - Mar 9, 2022 7:05 am Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2021

hike and bushwhack from Bootens Gap  Sucess!

nettles and large boulders along the way

cgard61

cgard61 - Dec 12, 2015 9:37 am Date Climbed: Dec 3, 2015

Winter bushwack  Sucess!

This was a very fun bushwhack around and over large and interesting rocks, some that are reminiscent of Stonehenge. The views to the south and east are great. Caution- there were lots of large dead weeds indicating that this bushwhack would be much less pleasant in the summer. And next time, I'll try to look harder for Bear Church Rock which is further down the Jones Mt Trail.

hightinerary

hightinerary - Dec 3, 2015 8:11 pm Date Climbed: Apr 14, 2016

Bluffing  Sucess!

I climbed it in December 2015 and April 2016. A fun bushwhack to a worthy peak. I think Bluff Mountain has some of the most interesting rocks in Shenandoah National Park. Shhh - don't tell anyone!

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Nov 20, 2010 12:37 am Date Climbed: Oct 24, 2010

A difficult bushwhack  Sucess!

I hiked up the Staunton River Trail to the Jones Mountain Cabin and stayed overnight. The next day, I went up to Bear Church Rock and enjoyed the views before continued to Bluff Mountain. It was very difficult getting traction on the slope when I climbed off the ridge to avoid the boulders. Eventually, I reached the top. The fall colors were gorgeous that weekend.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Bluff Mountain' main page