Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 14, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
This is fairly easy hike for people who like to hike and are in good physical condition.  I normally complete this hike in about 4 hours (roundtrip) using the New Mount Rose Trail from the highway summit (NV 431).  However, on this trip it took 6 hours and 45 minutes as I was hiking with a friend who has a bad back and a bad knee.  There is a large parking lot and restroom at the top of the highway summit (left side when coming from Incline, and, the right side if coming from Reno).  The trails options and routes start directly behind the restroom and information center. The first 2.5 miles are quite easy and then you with merge with the Relay Peak Station Trail (it will come in from your left) follow the trail and signs for the Mt Rose summit which will be to the right.  At this point the remainder of the trail begins a steady climb for the remaining 2.5 miles to the top.  There is one fairly steep little section just before you hit the summit, just take your time.  Great views from the top include Lake Tahoe, and looking west  Donner Lake, Stampede and Boca Reservoirs, the backside of Northstar Ski Area, and more.  Looking  southeast you will see Slide Mountain (Mt. Rose ski area) and pieces of Washoe Lake behind it, Carson City more to the south, and Reno more to the north.  This hike is at a fairly high elevation starting around 8900 feet and topping out at over 10,770 feet so take that into consideration if you are a flatlander.  Also bring plenty of water, a Camelback with at least 60 ounces is recommended, along with some snacks.  Trail is very well marked and easy to follow.  I would also suggest hiking poles as there is some loose rock and uneven trail sections near the top.  Overall this is a good trail, easy to follow, with good signage, and during the summer months many hikers' along the way.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.