Bob's Buttress Crack (Garden of the Gods )

Bob's Buttress Crack (Garden of the Gods )

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8 plus
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Garden Of The Gods
The Garden Of The Gods is part of the front range and offers many unique face and crack climbs on sandstone. This is one Colorado Springs city parks just below 14,110-foot Pikes Peak.

The sandstone formstions and towers in the Garden Of The Gods are part of a series of exposed hogback ridges that extend from Fort Collins in northern Colorado to Canon City and Colorado City in the southern part of the state.


The climbing in the Garden is different from other sandstone climbing areas. The rock is soft and varies in quality. Some of it is hard,smooth veneer, while elsewhere it has the brittle consisteny of dried brown sugar.


The routes range from 40 to 375 ft and from 1 to 8 pitches. Most of the climbs are protected with soft angle pitons pounded into predrilled 3 to 5 inch long hloes in the sandstone. Bear in mind that most of the drilled pitons are at least 15 years old. They should be treated with caution and always backed up when possible.


Getting There

This is a well know park in town. it's realy easy to find. From Denver take I-25 south to Garden Of The Gods road turn right ( west ) go to the end of that road 30th street then turn left you will see the park on your right. you will need to stop at the visitor center and fill out a registration card to climb if you get cought without one it's about 500 $ find.

Route Description

This is a 2 pitch route but most people just do the first route.There is some good crack and face climbing on this route.Follow the obvious crack. At the end of the first pitch there
2 old pitons were you can rap back down. about 60 '

Essential Gear

Gear you will need some med. to large stoopers and some friends up to a # 3 or 4 and a beer

External Links

Guide books Falcon.com Garden of the Gods.www.falcon.com

RED TAPE

All climbers must register at the Garden Of The Gods visitor center on 30th street on the east side of the park. Go in befors you climb and fill out a registraction card ( it's free ) and review current regulations. The card is good for one year. coloradosprings.com

Geography