Boott Spur

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.27060°N / 71.3047°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 1-2 (YDS)
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike / Snow Climb
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This route involves heading up the Boott Spur (5500'), a knob south of Tuckerman Ravine from where you will have a breathtaking view and ascent to the summit. There are two approaches to the Boott Spur Trail, both off of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail that starts at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (see Getting There section on main page).

Route Description


FROM PINKHAM NOTCH: This is a 5.4 mile class 1-2 (2 near summit due to rock field) route to the summit from the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center (2032'). Start on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and reach the junction with the Boott Spur Trail (2275') in 0.4 miles. Turn left on to the Boott Spur Trail which generally parallels the Tuckerman Ravine Trail but farther south. In 2.0 miles you will reach Split Rock (4337') and then continue west 0.2 miles to the Boott Spur Link junction (see Via Hermit Lake below). From here you will continue climbing up on the Boott Spur Trail until you reach the Spur (trail at 5450') in 0.7 miles along with excellent views of Tuckerman Ravine. The summit is another 2.0 miles to the north. Follow the Davis Path and then take either the Tuckerman Ravine Trail (east route heading north) or Crawford Path (west route heading north). This route offers extensive travel above treeline and can provide for excellent views but will leave you exposed for bad weather.

VIA HERMIT LAKE: Follow the Tuckerman Ravine Trail 2.4 miles to Hermit Lake (3875') and head south on the Boott Spur Link. In 0.6 miles you will reach the Boott Spur Trail (4650') and continue up to the junction with Davis Path as described above. Total distance: 5.7 miles from Pinkham Notch Visitor Center.

Essential Gear


During the snow-free season a windproof / waterproof jacket is recommended since the area above the Boott Spur is very exposed and the weather can change fairly quickly.

During the winter an ice axe and crampons are highly recommended.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.