Bowback Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
rvancleave

rvancleave - Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am Date Climbed: Aug 28, 2019

North Summit

Climbed the north peak via Sylvan Lake Trail, climbed up to the plateau at the intersection of the trail and Line Creek. Across the plateau to Sylvan Peak, Elk Mountain and finally north summit of Bowback.

VincePoore

VincePoore - Oct 14, 2018 12:40 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2017

Finally after multiple failures  Sucess!

See 2014 entry, but also couldn't get down from Sundance plateau in 2011; Was headed for summit via Sylvan Peak in 2013 but got sick. Went back via Sylvan in 2015 and got weathered off.

In the end, success was achieved via standard Dude Lake approach. Tons of snow on July 1st made this one a fun climb.

CBakwin

CBakwin - Aug 17, 2016 7:14 pm Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2016

Yo  Sucess!

I camped on Dude Creek about 3/8 mile off the West fork trail. Climbed this the next morning, hoping to run out to Sundance too but ran out of water and energy....., tagged the uneventful Elk mountain on the way down.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jan 12, 2016 7:31 pm Date Climbed: Jul 14, 2012

12er #1/26  Sucess!

Climbed from Dude Lake and descended by Triangle/Kookoo Lakes

GoHike

GoHike - Aug 28, 2015 12:06 am Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2015

After a Night on Elk  Sucess!

After spending a night under the northern lights, atop Elk Mountain, I quickly made my way to the true summit, rock slide kept me from going down and up the thirds summit (solo and no helmet), I wanted to finish the traverse with Sundance, but that had to wait a week. Climbed Elk Mountain via Dude Lake.

VincePoore

VincePoore - Jul 10, 2014 10:58 pm Date Climbed: Jul 6, 2014

South Summit Only

Climbed south ridge from Ship Lake but couldn't traverse large notch to central summit. There is a large rib on the west side that joins the central ridge just south of the notch. The key is a safe down climb of the north side of this rib leading into the notch and I could not find it. Once in the notch, the route back up looks easy though.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Bowback Mountain' main page