Buckspeck

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.59060°N / 104.715°W
Additional Information Route Type: Rock-Classic Face
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.10c
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take the NorthEast Buttress Approach. The route is inbetween Calculus Affair and Marriage Was My Worst Mistake. It is easily identified by the bolts on the column face......which lead to a stunning right facing dihedral above.

Route Description


This route was first done by Dennis Horning and Hollis Marriott (that is Dingus McGee and the Last Pioneer Woman), in 1991. It is one of the few pure face climbs on the Tower. Once you clip the first bolt, no harm will come to you. The bolts are big and all are in the right places. A 3-Star Route.

Pitch 1. (170 ft., 5.10c) Follow the dozen and a half or so Bolts to a Big Bolt Belay on the column's sloping top. The best line between bolts is not always a straight one !!

Finish. Either rap out or continue up on Steppen' Out Of Flatland (5.11b) or straight up that lovely corner above, Team Ropin' (5.12a) with 13 Bolts for protection. Both are Very Good climbs.

For other face climbs see bigwally's face climb guide on the Devils Tower Main Page under the MISC. Section.

Essential Gear


Quickdraws !! Take about 18 of various lengths.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.