Bull-of-the-Woods Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.56250°N / 105.414°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Taos, New Mexico: Drive four miles north on New Mexico (NM) state road #522. At about four miles, and at the first traffic light out of town, turn right (east) on NM 150 and drive for 15 miles until reaching the Taos Ski Valley ski area. As you arrive at the ski resort a huge "Taos Ski Valley" sign will greet you. Here the road forks. Go left at the fork and head into the upper parking lot for about 50 yards until reaching a gravel parking lot marked "RVs Only" (which does not apply in summer). There are big trailhead signs in view from here.

Route Description


There is a large trailhead sign near Twining Campground. The trail (#90) begins climbing almost immediately. Near the beginning of the trail, there will be several small trail intersections with little "horse trail" signs. Ignore these and stick with the main trail. Also, the beginning of the trail is on private property, so respect is in order. After two miles the Bull-of-the-Woods pasture is reached and the intersection to Trail #64 to Gold Hill to the left. Stick to the main trail as it turns southeast towards Bull-of-the-Woods mountain. A nice overlook is reached with spectacular views of the valley to the east. Just past the overlook, the famous log fence is reached and the trail begins to follow an old road around the west side of Bull-of-the-Woods mountain. The trail then skirts the west side of Frazer Mountain. At this point, avoid the old road down the west slope of Frazier. Keep an eye out for mountain goats as they like this particular area. After 4.5 miles, you will reach La Cal Basin. From here you will be able to see Mount Walter and Wheeler Peak in the distance. You have two choices. You can either cross the basin and ascent the west slope of the ridge across the basin, or you can ascend the ridge to the right of the basin Click on the below photo. Either way, the object is to get to the top of point 13,045. Once at the top of point 13,045, follow the ridge south to the summit of Mount Walter.


Essential Gear


Standard day hike attire including good rain gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.