Bulwark Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.52600°N / 105.511°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To get to the North Inlet Trailhead head east (downhill) from the town of Glen Haven. After 2.1 miles take a left (north) on Dunnraven Glade Road. Go north on the road for 2.2 miles to the well-marked trailhead.

Route Description


Net Elevation Gain: 3,562 feet
Total Elevation Gain: 3,910 feet
Round Trip Distance: 12.0 miles

From the North Inlet Trailhead, pass the vehicle gate, and walk 0.6 mile up the road to 8,100 feet where you'll see the trail leaving the road. Hike up the trail 0.8 mile as it switchbacks up onto Bulwark Ridge until you reach a signed trail junction at 8,700 feet. Take the left branch and continue on the Bulwark Ridge Trail for 3.3 miles until it crests at 10,840 feet near the summit of Bulwark Ridge. Up until this point you have been hiking in dense forest only occassionally being teased by the great views you know are out there - finally you will be able to see South Signal Mountain and Signal Mountain. Descend 0.25 mile to the gentle, 10,780-foot saddle between Bulwark Ridge and South Signal Mountain.

Whenever you find a good spot leave the trail and head up to the rocky outcrop that makes up the summit block of South Signal Mountain. A bit of class 2 scrambling is required to reach the summit.

To reach Signal Mountain descend north 0.5 mile to the saddle between South Signal Mountain and Signal Mountain (here you'll cross the Bulwark Ridge Trail) and continue to up the gentle slope for 0.2 miles to the summit of Signal Mountain. For the descent, return to the Signal-South Signal saddle to regain Bulwark Ridge Trail.

Essential Gear


Bring standard hiking kit appropriate to the conditions. Nothing unusual is needed.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.