jakefrisbeeMountain Parents?

jakefrisbee

Some of the parents listed for the mountains make no sense. Good start.
Posted Feb 15, 2006 4:24 am

Brian KaletRe: Mountain Parents?

Brian Kalet

I got the parent info off of Gerry Roach's website:
What parents make no sense?
Posted Feb 15, 2006 5:09 pm

hagertypNice List

hagertyp

The table is sick. I'm having trouble getting my list to not get put in the image box automatically... I'll figure it out soon.
Posted Feb 16, 2006 1:51 am

NewDayRisingNice List

NewDayRising

This is a nice list for anyone into attempting all the CA 14ers.
What I would want to know if I was to complete the list is: complete list, rating of the easiest route, ranking of difficulty based on approach, distance, and easiest route.

The parent column doesnt make intuitive sense to me and I don't find it useful. Is this important? What is going on with the CA rank? Is it complete? Is it ranked on height? This page is attached as a parent to the Mt Langley page, I recently adopted. I also have a better photo for Langley.

Edit: read Roach's page. You should give him credit for the table since its pretty much the exact same one he created.
Posted Jul 3, 2007 4:56 pm

Brian KaletRe: Nice List

Brian Kalet

I've added a column for the easiest route including links to summitpost pages if they're available. Parent columns are standard for peak lists. The parent defines the key col. The key col defines the prominence. The prominence defines whether a peak is ranked or not. I feel it's important. Peaks with at least 300 feet of prominence are ranked based on elevation. Provide a link to the photo and I'll be glad to replace it if I feel it's better. Roach's page is credited in the credits at the bottom of the page.
Posted Jul 3, 2007 5:37 pm

NewDayRisingRe: Nice List

NewDayRising

thanks for the explanation on prominence.
here is the photo link:
Posted Jul 8, 2007 2:03 am

NewDayRisingCA 14ers ranking

NewDayRising

I find this type of ranking useful for actually climbing these peaks.

Here's an SP forum discussion on CA 14ers ranking. Much more informative than just one person's ranking:

Posted Jul 13, 2007 2:19 pm

hundyNice List

hundy

Hey thank you for putting together all this information on one page. This page is helping me out a-lot on future plans/trips. This List is great, just want to say thank you agian for getting all this information together on one page.
Posted Sep 30, 2007 4:13 pm

lavaka"parent"

lavaka

I'm also a bit confused on what "parent" means -- this is in reference to North America? Why does Whitney have that parent? Also, summitpost now uses "parent" and "child" links, so it should be made clear that this is different. If I click the "parent" link to see the explanation, there's a javascript error. And the Gerry Roach page seems to have vanished also.

Anyhow, thanks for making the page. It's nice to have such pages.
Posted Oct 19, 2009 11:42 am

Brian KaletRe:

Brian Kalet

I've added a new link for the definition of parent.
In addition, I've changed Parent to Line Parent, because I do not list proximate parents on this page.
I've also updated the link to Gerry Roach's site in the credits section.
Thanks for the comments.
Posted Oct 19, 2009 11:33 pm

lavakaRe:

lavaka

Thanks for that. I have a better idea of what line parent means, but I guess I'm not entirely clear. For example, the line parent of North Pal is White Mountain. But it sounded like line parent means following a ridge to a higher ranked peak. So North Pal is connected to White Mountain via a ridge? This is news to me. Is there a minimum criteria for what a "ridge" is? I would have thought that the line parent of North Pal is Whitney, since the ridge connection between Whitney and North Pal is a bit more definite.
Posted Oct 22, 2009 12:57 am

Brian KaletRe:

Brian Kalet

The line parent of North Pal is Mount Williamson.
Thanks for pointing out the error.
I have updated the page.
Posted Oct 26, 2009 1:27 am