Camapuan (aka Camapuã) Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.2548°S / 48.85679°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5597 ft / 1706 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Camapuan summit
Summit shot - 2009.

Me at the summit of Camapuan
With Paraná Peak group on the far back.2009.Clear weather!
Camapuan is a very popular mountain in the Serra do Ibitiraquire range. But is not very easy if you're not used to hike endless rock ramps. It's ramp is famous and it has 3 false summits. There's not much to say about that mountain, but it has a fantastic view to Paraná Peak group, all the Ibitiraquire range and it's perfect to get a great night of sleep, very cold too!

Despite the fact Camapuan (or Camapuã) is an easy mountain, it's ramps are not that easy. You will dehydrate fast hiking it, so drink a lot of water. The ramps are long, never ending nightmare. But as soon as you finish them you'll be at the summit of the peak, with outstanding views to the other Giants of Ibitiraquire.

To learn more about other peaks of the area, please access: Ibitiraquire Sierra











They're not big, but quite challenging mountains!

Brazilian state: Paraná.
Nearest big city and airport: Curitiba (40km)
Trailhead: There's two farms you can go on from, To hike from the Caratuva side go to Pico Paraná Farm. To go hike from the Camapuan side, go to Bolinha Farm.

Some photos

Milky Ibitiraquire...
2008.Photo by SPer Pedro Hauck.
Me, out while the rain gave up on us
At the summit area of Camapuan.2008.Photo by SPer Pedro Hauck.
On the slopes of Camapuan, Tucum on my back
2008.Photo by SPer Pedro Hauck.

View from inside our tent
At the summit of Camapuan.Rain, rain, rain...2008.Photo by SPer Pedro Hauck.
Hiking Camapuan under heavy rain
2008!That's an old one.My first summit on Ibitiraquire range.Photo by SPer Pedro Hauck.
Damn...That was the trail on the way back. A new creek 1ft deep!
hehehe2008.Photo by SPer Pedro Hauck.

Getting There

 
Camapuan Peak summit camp
 

Take BR-116 to North till Campina Grande Do Sul, and search for Posto do Tio Doca (Tio Doca Gas Station). Ask for directions to get to the Bolinha farm. From that farm is the starting point to the trail (above trail) to Camapuan, Tucum, Cerro Verde and Luar Peak.

Red Tape

No taxes to climb the mountain (for rock climbing route);
For the hiking route, R$ 15,00.
Parking lot at the farm just before the trailhead;
Well marked trails;

What’s forbidden:
To make fire; Deforest any places. Respect the nature and wildlife please!
Life threatening dangerThe Brown Spider

Brown recluse spiders are usually between 6–20 mm (1⁄4 in and 3⁄4 in), but may grow larger. While typically light to medium brown, they range in color from cream-colored to dark brown or blackish gray. The cephalothorax and abdomen may not necessarily be the same color. These spiders usually have markings on the dorsal side of their cephalothorax, with a black line coming from it that looks like a violin with the neck of the violin pointing to the rear of the spider, resulting in the nicknames fiddleback spider, brown fiddler, or violin spider.

Its bite causes a serious necrosis and it may kill a ill adult person, or a perfectly healthy child. So be careful with it. There is a lot of brown spiders in Paraná state, especially in Ibitiraquire range!



Jararacussu snake

The jararacussu is a snake in the Bothrops genus, found in Eastern Brazil (from Bahia to Santa Catarina), Paraguay, southeastern Bolivia and northeastern Argentina (Misiones province). Like all Bothrops species, the jararacussu has rather potent venom, and fatalities are known.

Watch out since you can bump into one of those!!!

 
<b><i>Bothrops Jararacussu</b></i>
 



Camping

Camping is allowed anywhere you want, but be careful not to damage the forest and its plants, look for the spots for camping: The farm (900 m high), Camapuan summit (1.706 m) and Tucum summit (1.736 m).

Weather Forecast

You can hike this mountain in all seasons, but in summer there are rains every day. In winter is cold, but the days are clearer. The temperatures going from -10°C to 15°C.
Best time to climb: April to September.

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes - Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ibitiraquire SierraMountains & Rocks
 
Giants of IbitiraquireMountains & Rocks