Candlelight inside the Three Fingers Lookout

Candlelight inside the Three Fingers Lookout

Candlelight inside the Three Fingers Lookout, North Cascades, WA (76 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100) SOME OF MY NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY
StephAbegg
on Dec 5, 2008 2:21 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 469273

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 6, 2008 10:00 pm - Voted 10/10

This is special

light photography, right??? This is an
amazingly clear picture for the amount of light
you have available.

You must have a really well-made and expensive camera to CAPTURE something like this!!!

Larry

StephAbegg

StephAbegg - Dec 6, 2008 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: This is special

I use a Canon 30D, a pretty affordable SLR. Actually, the trick to good night photography (which I suppose you can call light photography in the case of this photo!) is not so much the camera, but understanding how to use the manual features on the camera to achieve the desired effect and the right exposure in the low light. The exposure setting for this photo, for example, was 76 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100.

So, as long as you have a camera that can be set to fully manual features (even a point and shoot), you've got all you need!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Dec 6, 2008 10:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: This is special

Geez, you make it sound so simple!

What were you doing inside a lookout tower at
night? I never thought about entering a
lookout tower at night, but you did it and are now reaping the benefits, as am I as I view YOUR wonderful photography!

I find this photo to be most fascinating!
(This photo belongs in an art museum!!!)

StephAbegg

StephAbegg - Dec 6, 2008 10:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: This is special

Thanks for the complements. Part of what I love about night photography is the uniqueness of the photographs.

In the North Cascades, there still exist some old fire lookouts that were constructed in the 30s and 40s and are now abandoned (but maintained by climbers/hikers). These lookouts are usually in spectacular positions on the tops of peaks. Climbers/hikers are allowed to stay in them on a first-come/first-serve basis. This summer I got the idea to go to a couple, bring a candle, and stay up all night seeing what kind of photographic effects I could get. My favorite photo is one of star trails above Hidden Lake Lookout, with candlelight glowing in the windows (see my night photography album, its in there).

Night photography is simple once you gain a complete understanding of how exposure works (that's not so simple for most). After the initial effort of getting out of the warm sleeping bag, it's a lot of fun too!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4