Capitol Butte (Thunder Mountain) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Hiking Metal Maniac

Hiking Metal Maniac - Jul 18, 2022 11:43 am Date Climbed: Apr 10, 2021

From Dry Creek Trailhead  Sucess!

Stunningly beautiful and fun scrambling on the sandstone.

birdhead

birdhead - Apr 1, 2018 10:51 am Date Climbed: Mar 29, 2018

West Ridge  Sucess!

Started at the Lizard Head Trail off Vultee Arch Rd. After a few minutes of hiking and staying right, I turned left up a good use trail. The route was obvious most of the way with only a couple areas where route finding was required. Easy 3rd class scrambling here and there but nothing sustained. The dry waterfall is fun but can also be bypassed on the right. I would make sure you have enough daylight when starting this route. It could be easy to get off route in the dark. Views from the summit are 360 degrees and the best I’ve seen in the Sedona area.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Dec 1, 2016 4:16 pm Date Climbed: Nov 22, 2016

West Ridge  Sucess!

Quick trip up the west ridge. Some routefinding but not very exciting.

Tar - Mar 12, 2013 10:36 pm Date Climbed: Mar 5, 2013

Capitol Butte  Sucess!

Hiked CB via Lizard Head ridge. Parked at junction of Dry Creek Road and road 152. Hiked south on the well marked and maintained trail that rings most of Thunder Mountain, about 9 minutes to the unblazed trail that climbs to the Lizard Head. This trail intersects at 90 degrees on your left and has a fair sized tree to id it. Climbs to narrow winding ridge running from the "Head" on the west to a shoulder of CB on the east. Took us 40 minutes to gain the ridge.
From the ridge to CB follow a reasonably obvious trail to the top. Trail starts on north side of ridge, crosses over to the south side and traverses below the ridge for another 40 minutes to CB.
Once on CB the trail climbs via traverses and switchbacks to the top. Some minor hand climbing is required. There are two rock mounds on the top, the eastern most one is the high point.
We climbed on a perfect day, 65/70 degrees partly cloudy. Wet conditions would have made the footing a challenge. Round trip for us seniors was 6 hours with numerous stops for pictures and snacks.
We took care to stay on the trail which took a little more effort to follow on the way down. I could believe that one could lose the trail and get into a bad situation. Don't climb anything you can't down climb, don't down climb anything you can't climb. Wear sunscreen and a hat. Bring water.

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Nov 13, 2009 4:42 pm

Been a long time  Sucess!

since I climbed this one. Back in the mid-90's there wasn't a trail, and I ended up thrashing up the west ridge, getting into some funky climbing on the south face, and finally reaching the summit. Apparently there's somewhat of a trail now....

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Mar 17, 2009 9:08 pm Date Climbed: Mar 16, 2009

South Face  Sucess!

Climbed from the trailhead at Andante Drive. I wasn’t sure where the route went at the beginning. I used what little info I had with me and headed up the gully below the south face. I found a climber’s trail higher on the route. Didn’t see anyone else climbing the mountain on this day.

feel - Jan 2, 2009 4:02 pm Date Climbed: Dec 5, 2008

the easy west side  Sucess!

magical place. there is a register inside a glass jar on the east summit block. its hidden. applause for those who climb the s face

edevart

edevart - Dec 26, 2007 3:55 pm Date Climbed: Dec 26, 2007

South Face  Sucess!

Up the east face route from the water tanks at the end of Andante Rd. Several other parties seen along the trail--seems to be a fairly popular route, despite its undeveloped nature. Great views from the top of great summits in all directions--Humphreys, Elden, Mormon Mtn, Bill Williams, Union, Munds, etc. No summit register at the top.

cp0915

cp0915 - Apr 9, 2007 10:39 am Date Climbed: Apr 7, 2007

up - Direct S Face; down - S Face (East-facing Gully)  Sucess!

1 hour 53 minutes car-to-car. Beautiful day.

Peak #7 of a 9-peak Sedona-area weekend.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Capitol Butte (Thunder Mountain)' main page