Cascade Gulch Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
SuperChthonic

SuperChthonic - May 5, 2018 6:48 pm Date Climbed: May 19, 2012

Couple of ways to do this  Sucess!

First time went right of the reddish rock ridge ascending out of Hidden Valley after that went left which is just as quick but easier on the steeps.

Mpritchard

Mpritchard - Jun 4, 2013 4:23 pm Date Climbed: Jun 1, 2013

Took the Alternate Route  Sucess!

Not prepared the climb on ice above the Whitney Glacier, so we took the alternate route around to the south where we came out at the top of West Face Gully. The rock was tough going though, and we had to use a rope to scale one bad spot about 15 feet high. Besides traversing through the rock, its a great route. The views to the north were worth it. We were glad we opted for it instead of the West Face Gully. The trail into Hidden Valley was tough going however. 3 miles from Bunny Flat and took us 4 hours to get there. Found a nice spot to camp above the valley at 10,0000.

ElGreco

ElGreco - Jul 13, 2012 9:25 am Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2012

Traverse above Whitney bergschrund  Sucess!

With Ann. A very mellow route, until the crux traverse above the Whitney glacier bergschrund. Fantastic, exposed climbing above the schrund on 50-55deg snow/ice. Nothing crazy, but falling would be bad. Not a snow slog on that section - be comfortable with frontpointing, exposure and two-tool techniques.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Jun 21, 2012 4:28 pm Date Climbed: May 13, 2012

Above the bergshrund  Sucess!

Climbed along with Shastina and from their up the views cannot be beat- a bit tired of the approach to Hidden Valley though. Very icy for a short stretch above the bergshrund even this early in the season, perhaps the scetchiest bit of terrain I have done on Shasta thus far. Not too bad really though, didn't bother to rope up and could have made it easy by stepping onto and off the glacier a short ways, but wanted to stick more to the ridge this trip.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Cascade Gulch' main page