Cascade Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
birdhead

birdhead - Aug 21, 2023 9:24 am Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2023

Standard Route  Sucess!

Mostly a walk up (class 2) and kind of a slog. Was hoping for a bit more scrambling. The views from the summit were great though!

Vinny

Vinny - Aug 10, 2022 12:45 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2022

Solo run SW ridge  Sucess!

Just shy of five hours car to car. Lots of nice people on trail. Missed shortcut and went to amphitheatre which was pretty

mdou

mdou - Dec 15, 2014 4:37 pm Date Climbed: Jun 15, 2007

So close!  Sucess!

The first time I got so close to 3000 m! My head actually made it yeah? I started in Banff with an old bicycle, made my way up the winding road to Norquay, continued on foot from there to the amphitheater and up to the top following a visible foot path. Made it back the same way. It was a good day.

Rhughson47

Rhughson47 - Mar 6, 2014 8:21 am Date Climbed: Sep 25, 2009

Decent Day Hike  Sucess!

Beauty of a day

attimount

attimount - Oct 11, 2011 5:58 pm Date Climbed: Nov 18, 2010

Normal Route  Sucess!

After one atempt in winter, the second one was succeful.

Maria - Sep 18, 2011 8:48 pm Date Climbed: Sep 4, 2011

Cascade  Sucess!

A good start to a good trip with gimpilator

gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 16, 2011 2:40 pm Date Climbed: Sep 4, 2011

9 Peaks In 9 Days  Sucess!

This was the 2nd peak of our hiking extravaganza. I was amazed by the number of shell fossils on the upper portion of the route. We have nothing like that in the Cascades. It was a fun climb and I can see why it's called one of the Banff classics.

William Marler

William Marler - Sep 8, 2009 11:37 am Date Climbed: Aug 31, 2009

Once again  Sucess!

Made the slog once again. Good training day with four friends.

MattGreene - Dec 1, 2007 6:09 pm

Long Day!  Sucess!

I bagged this peak while travelling through Canada with a friend of mine. She wasn't up for the hike and needed the car, so I had to leave the campground by bike, hike uphill to the normal trailhead, bag the peak, then return the same way. It was well worth it for the beautiful views and to escape the mosquitoes of Banff.

MtnMagic

MtnMagic - Oct 20, 2007 12:31 am

Noramal + Cascade Falls  Sucess!

A great summit with an awesome view of the Bow valley from Canmore to Castle Junction. Assiniboine, the Bugaboos and Temple were all visible from the top when I climbed it. Well worth the effort, of course I'm biased because it was one of my first peaks in the Rockies.

couchclimber

couchclimber - Sep 10, 2006 2:01 am Date Climbed: Sep 9, 2006

normal scramble route  Sucess!

meh...nothing special in terms of scrambling. More slog than anything else. Not sure why its even rated "moderate". I imagine the view would be pretty nice from up there if it wasn't as hazy from the forest fire smoke today.

Danimal

Danimal - May 31, 2005 5:28 pm

Route Climbed: Scramble Date Climbed: September 5, 2004  Sucess!

Snowy, visibility sucked, I am told the view is nice.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - May 8, 2005 1:17 pm

Route Climbed: Scramble Date Climbed: June, 2003

Took my time and went in from Norquay with wife, dog and horse. We followed the trails to the Cascade Amphitheater (5500'-7000'). We had a picnic amongst the remains of a devoured goat. They returned, I continued. You simply gain the right hand sky line immediately and stay on it. There are cairns that divert you off and around to the right of the ridge line, but I preferred to stay on the ridge and down climb where necessary. Once I gained the false summit, I rappelled. I had taken a rope with me for good measure. The back side of the false summit was still completely under snow; making the traditional scramble route extremely dangerous. I chose to place several cams and rappel down the false summit for the mild hike to the real summit. The reverse up climb was no worries for myself. The rock on the backside (east) is extremely nasty and loose. I went over there first to have a look and ended up free climbing up very loose (and large) pieces of Rockies to gain the false summit ridge again. No matter what time of year, I suggest taking a short rope and dealing with the mountain straight on. The less time spent on a mountain and/or below its objectionable hazards, the safer.

We saw fresh grizzly scat on the trail going in. On the way out, the groundskeeper at Norquay called out a grizzly to me. He indicated he was angling out to my vehicle in the parking lot. I never saw him, but there was a lone deer in the parking lot with my vehicle. Perhaps he was stalking dinner. There is a marmot on the top ridge line towards the false summit as well

RedWolf_ca - Apr 21, 2005 2:04 am

Route Climbed: Normal route Date Climbed: August 1, 1997  Sucess!

Got to the summit just as a T-storm was approaching so didn't spend a lot of time on top. Unfortunately, just as I reached the base of the false summit, thick clouds rolled in and with no visibility I wondered off the beaten path somewhat. An interesting diversion. Cleared out about 1.5 hours later to bright sunshine.

Pawel Krol

Pawel Krol - Mar 6, 2005 12:21 am

Route Climbed: normal trail Date Climbed: 1995  Sucess!

nice

William Marler

William Marler - Aug 30, 2004 12:59 pm

Route Climbed: The scramble from the amphitheatre Date Climbed: August 19, 2004  Sucess!

Retreated due to hail and lightning but weather finally cleared and I retraced my steps to the summit. Great views. Got back to my car at Mt. Norgay before the second more violent storm hit. William Marler

Derek Franzen

Derek Franzen - Aug 20, 2004 9:06 am

Route Climbed: Cascade Waterfall Date Climbed: December 30 1981  Sucess!

With E Sandbo. Nice waterfall ice, -20 degree days. Many frozen pools for belay ledges. On the last pitch up a falling dinner plate exploded hitting me in the face and knocked me out for a while, several minutes, but I was tied into my ice tools so I just hung there until I woke up. Blood all over the ice, finished following the pitch and reached Eric who was startled by my appearance. Finished climb and rappeled down to frozen car, '76 Subaru with '76 battery. Now dark and getting colder, car didn't want to start, said prayer, swore, finally car started. Decided to find a place to stay for the night besides sleeping on the ground again. Went to the Banff Hotel, we in our climbing attire and my bloody face didn't receive a warm welcome, couldn't afford it anyways. Got some funny looks when we went into a country/western bar in Canmore. The bar had rooms above stage and spent the night. Took warm shower, slept in warm room, Warm.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Cascade Mountain' main page