Castle Crag Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Jamez

Jamez - Oct 26, 2023 8:41 pm Date Climbed: May 27, 2023

May 27   Sucess!

Went up mill creek because we wanted less snow on the way up...took the south face straight up to Castle Crag, hit snow at 7200ft, freezing rain at 8,000 took about 2 1/2 hours up that 3200ftish. Was wet the entire trip had it had stormed the day before. Camped on top of the peak that night, gorgeous view after the clouds cleared out for about 30m before dark. Took Sheafman out came down that gnarly couloir ( brother and I were feeling very daring ) 3 different stages of snow and rock, hecka sketchy but totally worth it!
I suggest not doing this by yourself.
Snow all the way down to about 6,000 feet in Sheafman, lots of deadfall on the trail that's in the wilderness part.

Definitely a trip to second !

missoula

missoula - Jul 19, 2020 8:44 am Date Climbed: Jul 18, 2020

fun glissade back down  Sucess!

Another bitterroot peak off the list. Wonderful weather. Went up with my buddy Nate. Glissaded back down to Aichele lake. Back home in time for dinner!

griftgilbert

griftgilbert - Jun 20, 2015 1:07 am Date Climbed: Jun 17, 2015

The Crags of the Castle  Sucess!

Pretty straightforward and beautiful hike. Found some good snow in the gully leading up to the main saddle. Great snow conditions which made the fairly steep climb somewhat entertaining. The views from the summit were amazing, and the trudge back on the fairly flat trail make was alright.

I would definitely suggest this peak to any newcomers and/or anyone looking for a view!

Sophia

Sophia - Jun 17, 2015 12:46 am Date Climbed: Sep 21, 2014

SE Ridge, Fall Color  Sucess!

Camped at Knaack Lake before climbing up to the summit. Fall colors were perfect. Want to try climbing from the opposite ridge sometime. Will be back summer 2015!

T Sharp

T Sharp - Aug 9, 2014 6:42 pm Date Climbed: Aug 8, 2014

Nice Summit  Sucess!

Climbed with some GMS friends! Wonderful day, light smoke in the area, but still nice views!
I have also climbed Castle Crag from the North (S Fork of Fred Burr)Cirque up a very loose Couloir we deemed the Garbage Chute!

larch32

larch32 - Mar 6, 2012 9:06 pm

SE ridge  Sucess!

Camped for a few nights in the area and couldnät resist climbing this thing. What a cool area.

MTfred19

MTfred19 - Mar 5, 2011 4:56 pm Date Climbed: Sep 20, 2009

SE ridge from Sheafman Lake  Sucess!

Camped at Sheafman Lake. What an impressive wall!

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Nov 6, 2008 5:31 pm Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2010

Three Summits - One Day  Sucess!

17aug10 - Took a couple of friends on a 3-peak outing which included both East and West Sheafman Peaks plus a finish on Castle Crag. It's a long day with lots of elevation gain, but worth every bit of the effort required.

12sep09 - Took a group of 4 first-timers to the summit of Castle Crag. We camped at Knaack Lake on the 11th, then did the climb on a perfect late-summer morning before returning to the trailhead in the late afternoon. We celebrated with greasy hamburgers and french fries at one of Hamilton's famous eateries.

1oct08 - This was the third of three summits I climbed on a truly perfect fall day. Four miles from the trailhead I left the maintained trail, climbed to East Sheafman Peak, followed the ridge to West Sheafman Peak, descended to Knaack Lake then, after deciding my energy stores were not depleted, decided to climb Castle Crag (only a week after climbing it for the first time). A wonderfully long and tiring day in the mountains.

15sepo8 - The last time I was on the Sheafman Creek Trail (2007) it was in awful shape. This time it had been completely cleared of deadfall all the way to the lakes.

The climb to the SE ridge was a little dicey because of the remnants of new snow on the Beargrass - extra slippery! The remainder of the climb was nice and the views rather special including a mixture of fall colors and snow.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Castle Crag' main page