Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Matt Worster

Matt Worster - Mar 9, 2006 1:15 am - Voted 8/10

One of my favorite mtns

And one of my favorite routes on it, too. I've hiked the trail 4 or 5 times but before I moved out to CA. I don't think there's any fourth class on that route, but it's a solid 3rd. This is a totally inane quibble based on frame of reference, I understand :-) Nice job on the main page, too.

Maybe you could use some photos that show the route a little closer. From Chimney Pond you get a great view of the scar on the lower Cathedral Trail. I don't have any digital photos of that route, but I can scan a few if you think it might be worthwhile.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 9, 2006 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Yeah

I agree it is probably just solid Cl 3 with some exposure in a couple spots but nothing bad. I think I saw it rated as 4 somewhere and that's why I put 3/4. I'm headed back there in September and hope to go up Knife Edge and down Cathedral.

I went thru the photos recently and tried to put up the best ones I saw that showed the route. Let me know if you see any that I missed that would be better and if you have any, yeah, please submit any that show the route from below.

Thanks!

osatrik

osatrik - Jun 29, 2009 4:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Location map

It is a shame that the various routes are not posted with different locations on the interactive map. My daughter and I did this route 24 years ago, and I'm just now getting around to documenting all of our state highpoint trips.

AlexeyD

AlexeyD - Jul 8, 2011 8:57 pm - Hasn't voted

another grade comment

I'm actually not even sure about "solid" third...I would say in terms of steepness and exposure, this trail is comparable to the Caps Ridge on Jefferson (WAY easier than, say, Huntington Ravine or the Saddleback section of the Range Trail in the Adirondacks). Mostly just steep class 2, maybe a couple of very short sections of 3. Very nice trail, though, and beautiful views!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Cathedral Ridge' main page