Cedar Run Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
hightinerary

hightinerary - Feb 24, 2019 6:37 am

Up Whiteoak, Down Cedar  Sucess!

A loop done long ago...

wanderweg83

wanderweg83 - Apr 24, 2015 10:34 pm Date Climbed: Apr 24, 2015

Cedar Run to Hawksbill  Sucess!

Did this one as a more challenging attempt on Hawksbill with three friends from Charlottesville. It lived up to the description on the main page. It felt more like a New England trail than a Shenandoah trail, which was a nice change of pace. We saw loads of trilium in bloom on our way up, and plenty of other wildflowers. Didn't see any other people until we crossed Skyline Drive toward Hawksbill. There are a number of faces and crags on the north (?) side of Cedar Run, which look interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has climbed them. All in all, a wonderful day out in the mountains.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Nov 7, 2012 3:59 pm Date Climbed: Nov 7, 2012

Beautiful Falls  Sucess!

Went down Cedar Run as part pf the loop with White Oak Canyon. The falls get more and more primeval as you descend.

Buz Groshong

Buz Groshong - Dec 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Great training hike  Sucess!

I've done it several times, usualy coming down it after going up Whiteoak Canyon, but I've also gone up it as a training hike continuing on to the top of Hawksbill and then going down and around Hawksbill and back down Cedar Run - a bunch of half-gallon bottles of water in the pack will add to the training.

taxinvestor

taxinvestor - Feb 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Trout  Sucess!

Combine this with Whiteoak for a six hour burn on your legs. Constant waterfalls. Lots of trout in the pools.

tioga

tioga - Oct 8, 2007 7:01 pm Date Climbed: Oct 6, 2007

Dry  Sucess!

It was so dry when I hiked this that the waterfalls were not even worthwhile to look at. So little water. Still, a good descent that hurts the toes coming from the top of Hawksbill.

vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 30, 2007 4:38 am Date Climbed: Apr 30, 2005

Pretty  Sucess!

A nice canyon with a couple of great falls!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Cedar Run' main page