Cerro Plata Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Corax

Corax - Jan 15, 2006 3:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I have the new map of Cordon del Plata in front of me. It's based on SRTM-3 Final and the altitude of Plata is given at 5930m.

John Biggar's peak list says 5955m.

Fabrice.Rimlinger

Fabrice.Rimlinger - Nov 11, 2006 4:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Altitude

I took several GPS reading of the Cerro Plata altitude. Always between 5960 and 5970m.
Anyway, Cerro Plata is definetly not a 6000er !

7summits

7summits - Dec 25, 2007 12:58 pm - Voted 10/10

About the same

Just came back, my (little) GPS said 5970m

Ialewis

Ialewis - Jan 14, 2008 5:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Helicopter on Cerro Plata.

According to Fernando Grajales Jr., who runs one of the big guiding outfits in Mendoza, the Helicopter did not result from a fatal accident. His explanation is as follows:

Two military helicopter pilots were messing around on the mountain, likely in an attempt to set the craft down and then take off. Fernado’s impression was that this was the result of two guys in a game of one-upmanship, not an official military operation (obviously this is conjecture). One pilot set down and was unable to get the craft back off the ground. The helicopter subsequently developed mechanical problems and was temporarily abandoned. A that stage, the helicopter was in perfect condition, upright, had the rotors tied down and all of the widescreens covered. The military then flew a crew of mechanics up to the bird to try and fix it. All of the mechanics were wearing oxygen. Evidentially, the repairs did not go well and the helicopter was left over winter. Eventually, the helicopter slid downhill, turned over and was abandoned.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Cerro Plata' main page