Champagne Castle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade A
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Champagne Castle (3377m) via Grey’s Pass return. Grade A

A technically straightforward hike but requires good fitness to ascend Grey’s Pass. It is also the approach to Keith Bush Camp, used as a base for climbs on Cathkin and Monk’s Cowl. 

Getting There

Start at the office where the Rescue Register is located at the western side of the car park. Walk westwards up the road for about 100m and turn left up a path in the direction of the The Sphinx and Crystal Falls. This path traverses some private property and one must stay on the demarcated route through the trees and over a stream via a wooden bridge. The path then winds up along a Little Berg slope with great views of the Champagne Valley to the east. After about 40 minutes, Crystal Falls is past which, is a lovely picnic spot and a beautiful cascade of water. From there, continue up for another hour, passing the sandstone feature called The Sphinx, until Breakfast-Stream is reached high up on the top of the Little Berg. At Breakfast stream the path actually traverses land belonging to the Mountain Club of South Africa, KZN Section.  From the car park to Breakfast Stream 1.5hrs. Another 40 minutes of easy walking below the east face of Cathkin brings one to the path junction called Blind Man’s Corner. Turn right in the direction of Hlathikulu Nek and Grey’s Pass (300m before the junction is a path to the right, which is an alternative path called Keartland’s Pass. It requires about the same amount of time and effort from the office to Blind Man’s Corner). Another 45 minutes walk along the contour path and the path begins to descend into the eMhlwazini River valley. Here take a path left and up the river for 4kms to get to Keith Bush Camp and the bottom of Grey’s Pass. Most parties will walk from the car park to Keith Bush Camp in 4-5 hrs.  Keith Bush Camp is an informal campsite and was originally the site of a small round hut named after the same, Keith Bush. The cement floor slab is still visible. This is where most parties base themselves for ascents of Cathkin and Monk’s Cowl. It is also a logical place to stay before ascending Grey’s Pass. During the winter months, the river is often dry at the campsite and it may be necessary to walk downstream to get water. (Keith Bush was killed during the descent from the North Face Chimney Route of Cathkin Peak in September 1955. An abseil sling broke while abseiling). 

Route Description

To ascend Champagne Castle either, hike as a day trip from Keith Bush Camp and return there for a second night, or ascend Grey’s Pass, and summit the peak and stay a second night at iNkosazana Cave near the top of the pass. Grey’s Pass starts off with an hour’s hard, steep slog up to below the main escarpment cliffs. The path then leads less steeply to the right, heading for a final rocky gully. Just before the gully is reached and below the cliffs to the left of the path is a small bivvy site (Grey’s Pass Bivvy) with a rock wall in front of it. When the path enters the final gully, turn left and it is short distance to the top. From the top of the pass follow the iNkosazana River for 2.5 kms until the source is reached. Another 1km in a southeast direction brings one to the summit cairn of Champagne Castle.

As stated earlier, some hikers use iNkosazana Cave to stay in. This cave can often be wet and miserable in summer time. As an alternative it is worthwhile to camp in tents at the escarpment edge where the iNkosazana River flows off the escarpment edge. This area also gives great views of the Cathedral Peak area, Eastman’s Peak and Vulture’s Retreat. Whether staying at Keith Bush or iNkosazana Cave, most parties would take 3 days and 2 nights to do this trip.

Note: On most maps there is a path or rather ‘a way to go” marked from Keith Bush Camp, up between Cathkin Peak and Monk’s Cowl and down the other side to the contour path. This looks like a nice circular hiking route. However there is no actual path on the south side of this route via Cowl Fork, it is hard going and navigation is not easy, including a tricky descent past a waterfall.  Several search and rescues, and even a fatality have occurred in this valley. It is best done only be fit and strong parties.

External Links

http://peakhigh.co.za/
Peak High Mountaineering