Charge!

Charge!

I accidentally snuck up on this Mountain Goat, not seeing it until I was within 20 feet of it laying in a little recession along the High Lakes Ridgeline. Wanting to get a snapshot of it, I whistled to get its attention. The goat looked around but didnt see me, so I followed up the whistle with a "hey stupid". The Goat looked right at me, jumped up on its hooves (when I took this picture), then charged me. Its been my experience that when you startle wild animals they flee. This goat was having none of that though and barreled right at me. I made a quick 180 and ran back over the rise tossing a rock behind me to hopefully startle it out of pursuit. When I looked back from behind the safety of a tree, the goat had given up its chase, allowing me to resume my hike after catching my breath. I know your not supposed to run from predatory animals, but this was no predator and I had no desire to be "butted" by a mountain goat, thus a tactical retreat seemed like a wise choice.
calebEOC
on Jul 4, 2006 9:41 am
Image ID: 204752

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
keema

keema - Jul 4, 2006 1:48 pm - Voted 9/10

Well duh!

If you woke me from a nice nap and called me stupid, I would be mad too! :) Nice picture and glad you're safe.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Jul 5, 2006 12:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well duh!

Thanks for the compliment. That was my first encounter with a mountain goat, I guess maybe I should have thought that one through a little more.

el guano

el guano - Jul 5, 2006 4:26 am - Voted 10/10

Hah!

Thats funny dude.
That goat just looks like he's mad as hell.

cascadetraveler

cascadetraveler - Aug 25, 2006 9:08 pm - Voted 10/10

GEEZ CALEB!

I bet your heart was racing the rest of that hike. I have just got to laugh that is great stuff.

calebEOC

calebEOC - Aug 26, 2006 12:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: GEEZ CALEB!

I thought it was funny more than anything, it was only frightening while the goat was balling right at me. I have to admit though that I did keep a look out the rest of the day for other rabid goats.

donhaller3

donhaller3 - Jul 30, 2007 10:26 am - Voted 10/10

Doesn't like flatlanders.

This may explain the nighttime racket up on the Little Strawberry cirque . I didn't know they lived there.

Thanks for the recent votes.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6