Charles Mound Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
hgrapid

hgrapid - May 3, 2005 1:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I talked to the owner today, and he says there is no access except on those dates. However, I am not sure if he wants his phone number up there. I would think you should contact the highpointers club for more information instead. Perhaps list Charlie Winger (719)485-3067 as the contact. Basically, the map is fine, and can get you to the highpoint on the approved dates.

Alpinist

Alpinist - May 4, 2005 8:42 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hi Dan... The owner's full contact info appears on the America's Roof page, with personal comments from him. It looks like he provided the information. I dare say that site will get a lot more highpointer traffic than my site. Did he complain about the phone number?

hgrapid

hgrapid - May 4, 2005 10:36 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

No, but he seemed like he was dead set on only having highpointers visit on those "open-access" days. He seemed bothered by the call in general. Just a thought, don't worry about it if you have other information saying it is okay.

Redwic

Redwic - Jan 7, 2008 2:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Misleading Requirement...

As of January 2008, on the 'Highpointers Club' website, www.highpointers.org, there is still a misleading statement regarding the Illinois highpoint. The 'Membership' category of the website's 'About Club' section states the following:
"The owners of Charles Mound, Illinois, require that you are a Club member (in order to eliminate problems caused by non-club members who abuse their property)."

After questioning this statement, I received an e-mail directly from Jean Wuebbels, today, on which she specifically states that a person does NOT have to be a member of the "Highpointers Club" to be allowed to reach the Illinois State Highpoint located on her property. I wanted the information to be shown somewhere, so I posted this Addition/Correction to help clarify any confusion.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jan 7, 2008 2:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Misleading Requirement...

Thanks for setting the record straight!

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 7, 2008 1:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Several Differences...

When at the northeast part of town (Scales Mound), the road is called "Charles Mound Road" (or Avenue), not Scales Mound Road.

Another thing worth noting: When I visited on July 6th, 2008, there was no blue sign/688/address to be found. What I believed to be the correct driveway was only marked by a cardboard sign stating to "Park at Road and Go by Foot". I figured it was the correct place, and it was.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 10, 2008 9:10 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Several Differences...

Thanks! I updated the page...

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Apr 16, 2013 1:19 pm - Voted 10/10

2013 Open Dates

The following dates were posted at highpointers.org
2013 dates are:
*June 1& 2
*July 6 & 7
*August 3 & 4
*September 7 & 8
My wife and I are planning an end of summer road trip. I almost got tripped up by the "first weekend" rule, as Sept. 1 is the first Sunday. Apparently it is the "first full weekend".

Alpinist

Alpinist - Apr 19, 2013 11:41 am - Voted 10/10

Re: 2013 Open Dates

Thanks Frank. I'll update the main page since the Sept schedule splits the weekend.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - May 9, 2013 1:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: 2013 Open Dates

Thanks, George, I finally will be coming to "climb" Illinois :-)

mtzfamily - Jul 8, 2013 10:53 am - Hasn't voted

Additional info

Take the truck route thru Scales Mound to the following parking coordinates.

N42-29.354
W90-14.279

There is only space for 2 cars, but roadside parking works for most. We were the third group on 7/6. The first two were coming down and a whole lot of people were going up when we going back. We noticed signatures in the log book from days other than the approved days. Hopefully abusers don't get the owners to discontinue there generosity.

INhiker - Aug 6, 2013 11:02 am - Hasn't voted

Elevation Gain

I have attached a topographic map of Charles Mound, with the route from the road to the summit highlighted. The front gate is at an elevation of 980 feet, so an elevation gain of 255 feet is required to summit Charles Mound. It's not much by mountaineering standards, but is significantly more than many drive-up high points. Based on the round-trip distance and elevation gain, the Martin Classification of Difficulty (http://www4.wittenberg.edu/academics/hfs/tmartin/highpointing/hparticle.html#III.%20Location%20and%20Classification%20of%20State) should be a 2, not a 1.

Bark Eater

Bark Eater - Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Location of house

Really enjoyed our visit last weekend. Has the location of the house changed? Roughly one mile in you come to a collection of barns and outbuildings. The highpoint is perhaps a few hundred yards past. The actual house is beyond the highpoint behind a "No trespassing beyond this point" sign. Looked like a nice home site from afar!

brenda - May 15, 2014 7:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Charles Mound 2014 dates

Received May 15th 2014 From: Jean and Wayne Wuebbels
Charles Mound is on private land, but is opened to the public the first full weekends of June, July, August and September. (SEE 2014 DATES BELOW) We hope you can plan your trip accordingly Except for these four weekends (eight days), Charles Mound is closed to the public.
You are welcome to visit our property on any of these four weekends. You go north out of Scales Mound (circle around the tracks) until you get to Charles Mound Road. Take a right (east). That road will wind around for a mile and one half until you get to our property. If you have a GPS system, set it to go to 688 West Charles Mound Road, Scales Mound, Illinois.
Our lane is not marked. There is no permanent sign that says “this is Charles Mound” or “Wuebbels residence”. There is a blue highway sign that says “688”. We do try to put up a temporary sign for the weekends, but sometimes people take it. The gate will probably be locked, but a person can fit through. You can park anywhere down by the gate. (There might be cattle or horses on the lane – there might be a second closed gate. Please be sure that you close any gates you might open.)

WE ONLY HAVE THREE RULES:
1. NO CARS UP OUR LANE.
2. NO PETS!! We repeat…. Please NO PETS!
3. NO VISITORS AFTER DARK.

It is about a mile and a quarter walk from the main road to the summit. Once you find our property, you should have no problem finding the summit. The high-point is clearly marked. It is a lovely walk on a nice day.

So many of you bring us gifts and, while we certainly appreciate it – it is not necessary. However, if you do feel so inclined, we have started a collection of state mugs brought to us by hi-pointers. We are hoping to eventually get all 50 states. We got one from Afghanistan last year! So, if you want to bring a gift, bring a mug! (If you bring one, drop a business card or something with your name and address in it, so we know who it is from. )

Have a safe trip!
Jean and Wayne Wuebbels

2014 dates:
JUNE 7TH AND 8TH
JULY 5 AND 6TH
AUGUST 2ND AND 3RD
SEPTEMBER 6TH AND 7TH

Alpinist

Alpinist - May 16, 2014 10:57 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Charles Mound 2014 dates

Thanks for the update.

thunt64

thunt64 - Jul 14, 2015 4:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Summer 2015

I showed up on the first eligible day this summer. There were a few others enjoying the pleasant walk/hike. While not a contender for toughest peak, there are a couple decent inclines and the dirt road you follow has enough rocks to make sandals & sneakers a poor shoe choice. I recommend going into Scales Mound for lunch at the Old School Saloon, home of the "testicle festival." I've not been to the festival but the burgers were great and the owners/workers were pleasant.

Colin

Colin - Aug 11, 2015 5:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Directionally Challenged

I visited on 8/2/15. The blue numbered sign was back, as well as a wooden sign that the owners must have put up for the weekend. I was daydreaming coming back and got myself off on another dirt road that forks to the right just below the barn. Had to backtrack once I realized my mistake. Stay to the left and you'll be OK.

gcrain - Apr 16, 2016 10:31 am - Hasn't voted

2016 DATES

I just contacted the Wuebbels and they kindly gave me the 2016 dates:

2016 dates:
-June 4th & 5th
-July 2nd a& 3rd
-August 6th & 7th
-September 3rd & 4th
-February 13th & 14th
(This could be a rough walk due to snow and/or ice. Come prepared!)

They noted their three rules:

WE ONLY HAVE THREE RULES:

1. NO CARS UP OUR LANE.
2. NO PETS!! We repeat…. Please NO PETS!
3. NO VISITORS AFTER DARK.

See ya'll in June!!!

Alpinist

Alpinist - Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am - Voted 10/10

Re: 2016 DATES

Thanks for the update. Are you sure about access in February? Where did you hear that?

gcrain - Apr 17, 2016 4:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 2016 DATES

This is a cut-and-paste from an e-mail the Wuebbels sent me. I assume it's too late to worry about February, anyway.

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
Return to 'Charles Mound' main page